Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:03am

Style: CMD MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first day I thought I was going to vomit up a lung just from hitting mitts. The second time I went I thought my head was going to burst after being punched. I felt like a tool for a bit but went back anyway. Now I get pissed if I can't make a class. Suck it up. It'll make you a better person.

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    If you don't overcome this attitude I guarantee you will never gain any significant proficiency in boxing or any other martial art.
    Pro tip: You are expected to suck on the first day. People earn respect when they keep coming back anyway.
    Or proficiency at anything hard.

Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Heck, they let me pivot on my lead foot.
    Is that an error? In fight quest I remember the Mexican champion boxer pivoting on his lead when he was showing Jimmy his lead hook.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****..
    Just suck it up. You are lucky to have a gym where the coach has the time to give you individual attention and cares about teaching you properly.
    Everybody sucks at first. Humble yourself a bit.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:15am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind View Post
    My first day I thought I was going to vomit up a lung just from hitting mitts. The second time I went I thought my head was going to burst after being punched. I felt like a tool for a bit but went back anyway. Now I get pissed if I can't make a class. Suck it up. It'll make you a better person.
    I actually fainted a few times whilst taking breathers. I just hid it. I don't think it was very long since the breaks were always 5 minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    If you don't overcome this attitude I guarantee you will never gain any significant proficiency in boxing or any other martial art. You're going to 'look like an idiot' by being unable to keep up, failing, getting dominated and other ego-imperilling events approximately ten million times in the process of getting good at any of them.

Pro tip: You are expected to suck on the first day. People earn respect when they keep coming back anyway.
    The first time I took boxing, I could hang with people who had been there for months. I'm just really unfit this time.

Its probablly because I took up hustling people for money at DotA(this along with basketball is the national pastime where I live). It takes hours of practice to win. Even more hours to learn how to massage peoples ego to make them bet a huge amount of money. And than even more time to learn how to stay calm and win in that kind of situation. This is why I have incrediBAD cardio(time spent hustling that I should've spent exercising).

I started DotA as an above average player. I also draw and when I started drawing I was also an above average artist. I just can't get into something if I don't start out great.

Also, my knees HURT. Is this supposed to happen? It feels like theres a muscle in my leg that can't support my weight and it feels painful but I can't quite find out which muscle needs to be strengthened. Any advice?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started DotA as an above average player. I also draw and when I started drawing I was also an above average artist. I just can't get into something if I don't start out great.
    Well, it sounds like you're a below average athlete, so you can either stay that way or change your attitude.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Well, it sounds like you're a below average athlete, so you can either stay that way or change your attitude.
    Is my hometraining not going to improve this? Not even a bit? That sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:57am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Op, you're right. Training is hard. Boxing is hard. You get all sweaty and stuff. It sucks when mean people yell things at you. It's hard doing things that your not great at right away.

You should probably just quit now. It would be way easier than having to try in the first place. Go draw something or something.

:ExcitedTroll:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Fo View Post
    Op, you're right. Training is hard. Boxing is hard. You get all sweaty and stuff. It sucks when mean people yell things at you. It's hard doing things that your not great at right away.

You should probably just quit now. It would be way easier than having to try in the first place. Go draw something or something.

:ExcitedTroll:
    I know its hard. Getting good at anything is hard. The only thing I don't like about boxing is that unlike DotA or drawing, I can't just suffer through the slumps and than pretend I never had any.
    More importantly, I feel that this early suckage should be private.

The struggle to get to grips with the basics has always been private for me. Whether it was in high-school or right now in college. I ONLY go to a professor when I have something complicated that I can't figure out. It its simple, I go to somewhere private, shut myself out of civilization and deal with it on my own.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know its hard. Getting good at anything is hard. The only thing I don't like about boxing is that unlike DotA or drawing, I can't just suffer through the slumps and than pretend I never had any.
    More importantly, I feel that this early suckage should be private.

The struggle to get to grips with the basics has always been private for me. Whether it was in high-school or right now in college. I ONLY go to a professor when I have something complicated that I can't figure out. It its simple, I go to somewhere private, shut myself out of civilization and deal with it on my own.
    You do not have the facilities to get better at boxing on your own. Perhaps, maybe, if you were some one in a million wunderkind, but you clearly are not.

You can run all you want. Jump rope as much as you want. Masturbate all you want. It's not helping you get better at boxing. If you actually gave a **** about improvement, you would be absorbing what your coaches told you. Having good cardio is not going to make you an awesome boxer. It will make you an in-shape one, yes, but not any better.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast