230594 Bullies, 3513 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 48
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Thorkind is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:03am


     Style: CMD MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first day I thought I was going to vomit up a lung just from hitting mitts. The second time I went I thought my head was going to burst after being punched. I felt like a tool for a bit but went back anyway. Now I get pissed if I can't make a class. Suck it up. It'll make you a better person.
  2. Lindz is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,012

    Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:33am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    If you don't overcome this attitude I guarantee you will never gain any significant proficiency in boxing or any other martial art.
    Pro tip: You are expected to suck on the first day. People earn respect when they keep coming back anyway.
    Or proficiency at anything hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Heck, they let me pivot on my lead foot.
    Is that an error? In fight quest I remember the Mexican champion boxer pivoting on his lead when he was showing Jimmy his lead hook.
  3. OZZ is offline
    OZZ's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    London,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    3,236

    Posted On:
    3/28/2011 12:22pm

    supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****..
    Just suck it up. You are lucky to have a gym where the coach has the time to give you individual attention and cares about teaching you properly.
    Everybody sucks at first. Humble yourself a bit.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
  4. StepInCross is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187

    Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:15am


     Style: Delusion

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind View Post
    My first day I thought I was going to vomit up a lung just from hitting mitts. The second time I went I thought my head was going to burst after being punched. I felt like a tool for a bit but went back anyway. Now I get pissed if I can't make a class. Suck it up. It'll make you a better person.
    I actually fainted a few times whilst taking breathers. I just hid it. I don't think it was very long since the breaks were always 5 minutes.
  5. StepInCross is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187

    Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:24am


     Style: Delusion

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    If you don't overcome this attitude I guarantee you will never gain any significant proficiency in boxing or any other martial art. You're going to 'look like an idiot' by being unable to keep up, failing, getting dominated and other ego-imperilling events approximately ten million times in the process of getting good at any of them.

    Pro tip: You are expected to suck on the first day. People earn respect when they keep coming back anyway.
    The first time I took boxing, I could hang with people who had been there for months. I'm just really unfit this time.

    Its probablly because I took up hustling people for money at DotA(this along with basketball is the national pastime where I live). It takes hours of practice to win. Even more hours to learn how to massage peoples ego to make them bet a huge amount of money. And than even more time to learn how to stay calm and win in that kind of situation. This is why I have incrediBAD cardio(time spent hustling that I should've spent exercising).

    I started DotA as an above average player. I also draw and when I started drawing I was also an above average artist. I just can't get into something if I don't start out great.

    Also, my knees HURT. Is this supposed to happen? It feels like theres a muscle in my leg that can't support my weight and it feels painful but I can't quite find out which muscle needs to be strengthened. Any advice?
  6. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,642

    Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:39am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    I started DotA as an above average player. I also draw and when I started drawing I was also an above average artist. I just can't get into something if I don't start out great.
    Well, it sounds like you're a below average athlete, so you can either stay that way or change your attitude.
  7. StepInCross is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187

    Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:47am


     Style: Delusion

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Well, it sounds like you're a below average athlete, so you can either stay that way or change your attitude.
    Is my hometraining not going to improve this? Not even a bit? That sucks.
  8. Mo_Fo is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    146

    Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:57am


     Style: BJJ, Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Op, you're right. Training is hard. Boxing is hard. You get all sweaty and stuff. It sucks when mean people yell things at you. It's hard doing things that your not great at right away.

    You should probably just quit now. It would be way easier than having to try in the first place. Go draw something or something.

    :ExcitedTroll:
  9. StepInCross is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    187

    Posted On:
    3/29/2011 11:06am


     Style: Delusion

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Fo View Post
    Op, you're right. Training is hard. Boxing is hard. You get all sweaty and stuff. It sucks when mean people yell things at you. It's hard doing things that your not great at right away.

    You should probably just quit now. It would be way easier than having to try in the first place. Go draw something or something.

    :ExcitedTroll:
    I know its hard. Getting good at anything is hard. The only thing I don't like about boxing is that unlike DotA or drawing, I can't just suffer through the slumps and than pretend I never had any.
    More importantly, I feel that this early suckage should be private.

    The struggle to get to grips with the basics has always been private for me. Whether it was in high-school or right now in college. I ONLY go to a professor when I have something complicated that I can't figure out. It its simple, I go to somewhere private, shut myself out of civilization and deal with it on my own.
  10. Kickapoo is offline
    Kickapoo's Avatar

    Sick double leg.

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Perrineville, New Jersey
    Posts
    890

    Posted On:
    3/29/2011 12:51pm

    supporting member
     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    I know its hard. Getting good at anything is hard. The only thing I don't like about boxing is that unlike DotA or drawing, I can't just suffer through the slumps and than pretend I never had any.
    More importantly, I feel that this early suckage should be private.

    The struggle to get to grips with the basics has always been private for me. Whether it was in high-school or right now in college. I ONLY go to a professor when I have something complicated that I can't figure out. It its simple, I go to somewhere private, shut myself out of civilization and deal with it on my own.
    You do not have the facilities to get better at boxing on your own. Perhaps, maybe, if you were some one in a million wunderkind, but you clearly are not.

    You can run all you want. Jump rope as much as you want. Masturbate all you want. It's not helping you get better at boxing. If you actually gave a **** about improvement, you would be absorbing what your coaches told you. Having good cardio is not going to make you an awesome boxer. It will make you an in-shape one, yes, but not any better.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.