Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 11:22pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting ready for boxing

I'm thinking of going into boxing again and I don't to waste time and money going into a boxing gym only to discover that I don't have the physique to practice the interesting stuff.

Do you guys know what exactly a normal guy needs to work on so he doesn't spend weeks in the gym just stretching and working cardio?

Am I supposed to just skip rope or I do I need to lift weights or something?:Thoughtful: Can I shadowbox on my own or will that give me bad habits I'll have to get rid of?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 3:14am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you want training advice or medical advice?
    I suggest that the first thing you should do is post a few photos here so we can see what physical areas you are concerned about or should/should not be concerned about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 3:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Photos? No way, the **** thats been done to the few photos I've put on the internet is bad enough, don't need more of'em. I don't even put photos of me on facebook.

Now that thats done with, I'm looking for advice on how to skip or speed up the early phases of learning how to box. You know, the part where your trainer just tells you to skip rope, stretch and shadow box in front of him to correct basic mistakes. I want to speed this phase up or even better skip it entirely so I can go to the more interesting stuff.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 4:21am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the reason that boxing is worthwhile is because none of the stages can be 'skipped'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 4:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    the reason that boxing is worthwhile is because none of the stages can be 'skipped'.
    You know what I mean by that, mate. I was asking for anything I can do at home that can help me ease into boxing. The first time I got into boxing, I almost fainted because I didn't have good cardio and also didn't know how to breathe properly(I held my breathe whilst throwing flurries). I got a second second chance at this. I want to do it right.

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 4:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach seems to like hill sprints.
    Then puke.
    Then more hill sprints.
    Good for your man quotent.

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 8:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    I'm thinking of going into boxing again and I don't to waste time and money going into a boxing gym only to discover that I don't have the physique to practice the interesting stuff.

Do you guys know what exactly a normal guy needs to work on so he doesn't spend weeks in the gym just stretching and working cardio?

Am I supposed to just skip rope or I do I need to lift weights or something?:Thoughtful: Can I shadowbox on my own or will that give me bad habits I'll have to get rid of?
    If you want to get in shape for boxing then go to a boxing gym and train boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 9:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    If you want to get in shape for boxing then go to a boxing gym and train boxing.
    But. But. The first week is always just cardio and stretching. Can't I do that at home?

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 10:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    Excellent. It was the first thought for me also.

For StepInCross, just turn up and keep a sense of humour. Remember your gumshield.
    If you embark on a physical regime now, it may detract from your training under the instructor. For example, we used to have a student who was unemployed and would go the gym in Camden and lift weights et al. He knew we did a solid hour of Conditioning before we did JJ Training and he would gas out. He would complain. My reply was : you knew that the sensei would start with the usual hard warm-up so why did you bother going to the gym? His reply? 'Well, I'm unemployed so I get concession rates'.

Brains? I didn't see too much evidence.

So, the moral? See how it goes and ask his advice. When you are fitter, stronger, better-conditioned, THEN you can consider supplementing BUT remember REST is part of the process. Avoid over-training so you don't go Stale. Be patient. Let the Learning Curve reveal itself.

Chin Down. (The Brit saying "Chin Up!" is not appropriate in boxing).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 11:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way you'll get better is practice, repetition. That's all about it. There is no shortcut.
    If you don't understand that then maybie I misunderstood your question.

Do you mean you are looking for new exercices you can do alone that will help you in boxing?
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast