228422 Bullies, 3972 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

News of the grrr. Rashad Evans leaves team Jackson

Amid the euphoria of Jon "Bones" Jones' virtuoso win over "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128, Coach Greg Jackson (World MMA awards' 2010 "Coach of the Year"), found out he'd have one less star on the team.

Rashad Evans, the #1 contender for the UFC Light Heavyweight belt, announced post fight, that he'd no longer be training with Jackson, who'd been his coach since 2005 (he joined following his winning Season 2 of TUF). He posted the following on his twitter account:
    "I decided 2 leave Greg because I felt like he didn't have my best interest anymore," (posted Sunday on Twitter) "Greg is not the same coach he use 2 b."
    Jackson, who is widely considered one of the very best coaches in the mma landscape, has a who's-who of fighters in his camp. Big names such as: Carlos Condit, Nate Marquardt, Shane Carwin, Andre Arlovski, Clay Guida, not to mention the hottest young fighter in mma:, UFC LHW champ Jon "Bones" Jones.

Having a long roster of top-tier fighters all training together provides a huge advantage over smaller training camps. The fighters can share their tips, and tricks, spar and roll together. To keep a sense of openness in the gym, Jackson's team-members had generally let it be known that they wouldn't fight each other, and this had presented some headaches to promoters, as the ultra-high level fighters sometimes occupy the same weight classes, and are often in contention for the same title(s).

Jones announced, prior to the Rua fight, that he would, in fact, fight Evans if the higher ups wished it so. Jackson stated that should they (Jones and Evans) be paired to fight, he'd step back, and not take 'sides', to avoid conflict. Jackson said, post fight, that Jones' victory was "bittersweet", because of the Jones/Evans dynamic. Apparently, he found out, at the fight, about Evans' leaving (during an interview with Ariel Halwani).

There are conflicting stories from Evans, Jackson (and everyone else in the world) about whether or not Evans expressed reservations, regarding Jones' inclusion in the camp, because of a likely future showdown. The int3rnets are afire with speculation. Grab your popcorn, and a beverage.

So, Bullies....is there a practical limit to how many top-level fighters can be at the same gym? Is there a point, where the match-up deficiency overrides the need for a billion amazing sparring partners? Could half-a-billion be enough?

Will they have an int3rnets flame war? (more likely, will they join in, on the one that's started amongst the proles?)

tawk amongst yerselves.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 3:06pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why multiple promotions are always needed.

:)

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    That's why multiple promotions are always needed.
    Do you think we'll see more fighters seek other camps, or/and fight teammates, now that Zuffa is more fully in-charge of the biz?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 7:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Do you think we'll see more fighters seek other camps, or/and fight teammates, now that Zuffa is more fully in-charge of the biz?
    I'd fight my mom if I was professional.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 7:58pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    I'd fight my mom if I was professional.

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 8:10pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does she train under you, or do you train under her?

Also, how did you get the Thread Killer Award? That's excellent
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 11:26am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Rashad leaving was suspected and maybe necessary. I believe him saying Jackson doesn't even train with him and Bones is a Judas is just sour grapes. He chose to wait a year for Rua and got hurt and he feels Bones got his shot. He said he wouldn't fight Jones prior to the fight. I really believe he didn't think Jones would win at that point.

There is a danger with top tier talent all training at one spot sure. The question really is whether the benfits of "Iron sharpens Iron" outweight the drawbacks. Drawback being they occasionally may have to fight each other. I definitely see more camps springing up...Greg Jackson is becoming a victim of his own success. If the stable gets too big, you're going to have some problems.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 1:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    Does she train under you, or do you train under her?

Also, how did you get the Thread Killer Award? That's excellent
    1. I train underneath her.
    2. Do you know how many threads I've ended?

:)

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    1. I train underneath her.
    2. Do you know how many threads I've ended?
    BY locking them, or through sheer awesomeness?