Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry my glock with one round in the chamber, shot thousands of rounds through it and yet to have an accidental discharge.

One plus to the glock over the sig or my suggestion the S&W is that he glock has a rail while neither sig and smith do not.

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 8:42pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deliverator View Post
    That is possible, but to do that (called "non-local transaction) the local FFL's will charge you a $75.00 processing fee, plus $25.00 DROS fee, plus CA sales tax, plus you have to buy a CA certified gun lock for it at the point of sale. So minimum $100.00 slapped on to the shipped-in purchase price from anywhere, plus gun lock. When the dealers here sell them directly they generally include the gun lock and you only pay the $25 DROS plus CA tax.

So you see this is a big part of why they are so expensive here, stricter regulations. 10-round magazine limit in CA as well plus a pretty strict limited authorized list of gun models that can be purchased in State.

All that being said I still don't blame the Government for all this rigamarole nearly as much as I blame the large number of gangbanger a-holes we have in CA that take potshots at Cops.
    I lived in California for a spell, so I'll try to ignore you "telling me how it is."

At any rate, I own a Gen4 glock 19 that I have put about 2k rounds though with zero malfunctions. I have shot the Sig P228/9 series extensively as well, and have carried both the 229 and the 3rd gen glock 19 while deployed. They are both nice weapons, but the glock 19 wins hands down in the price/performance scenario.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 7:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read about the problems the 4th gen 19s, are they blown completely out of proportion?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Unless I wear a windbreaker and one of the little dongles just happens to get caught in the trigger guard somehow. Then it'll be faster to shoot me in the lower back or ass. Also, if the manual safety is disengaged by the time I've got the firearm on target then how exactly is the Glock going to be ready faster?
    1) Seriously you have to worry about that specific chain of events to shoot yourself with a Glock!?!?!?! Rather thin reasoning there.

2) You still have to focus on the safety. We've tested it time and again, safety on vs safety off, and safety off has put rounds down range faster than with safety on. And we have done this with both concealed and open carry.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 8:36am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    1) Seriously you have to worry about that specific chain of events to shoot yourself with a Glock!?!?!?! Rather thin reasoning there.
    No, I don't because I have a manual safety. That's just a real life example of something that has happened with a Glock and was not a negligent discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    2) You still have to focus on the safety. We've tested it time and again, safety on vs safety off, and safety off has put rounds down range faster than with safety on. And we have done this with both concealed and open carry.
    Is there some sort of documentation on this? Was turning off the safety a practiced action on the part of the shooters or was it, "Let's try to get the safety off while we draw!" with no real practice? If there is some sort of documentation on this I'd be interested in seeing it.

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know i dont post alot on this site but i had the same dilemma as you have. I was at the gun show and saw a SIG P226. I asked a close friend who i trust with my life which he would choose and he said the range he runs has Glock 19 for rental for the course of fire. He would get the Glock over any gun on the table. He warned to not get a Gen 4 cause there are too many problems with it. So i bought a brand new Glock for $515 and that was with tax.Of course there are 3 pistols any LEO i ever knew or know present day say Glock, Sig, and H&K. The composite Sig isnt favorable and the Gen 4 as i said before is not perfered as well. So Rock Out With Your Glock Out!

Flyweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deliverator View Post
    PS, just curious, what is it about the Glock trigger that annoys you, the safety on the trigger, the light trigger pull, or the shape, orrrr......
    The trigger safety is uncomfortable to my soft girly fingertip when firing a lot of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    One plus to the glock over the sig or my suggestion the S&W is that he glock has a rail while neither sig and smith do not.
    Some models of 226 have a rail; it comes standard on the 229.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumSwag View Post
    I know i dont post alot on this site but i had the same dilemma as you have. I was at the gun show and saw a SIG P226. I asked a close friend who i trust with my life which he would choose and he said the range he runs has Glock 19 for rental for the course of fire. He would get the Glock over any gun on the table. He warned to not get a Gen 4 cause there are too many problems with it. So i bought a brand new Glock for $515 and that was with tax.Of course there are 3 pistols any LEO i ever knew or know present day say Glock, Sig, and H&K. The composite Sig isnt favorable and the Gen 4 as i said before is not perfered as well. So Rock Out With Your Glock Out!
    Yep. Not a bad dilemma as well since by most accounts they're both some of the best if not the best 2 9mm's currently made. I'm going to get the Glock 19 now and then later I'll sell the Beretta and probably get a P226 as well. Done and done.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 12:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    Some models of 226 have a rail; it comes standard on the 229.
    it may very well be the certain type/batch of sig 226 DAO I've seen.

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 4:11pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    I've read about the problems the 4th gen 19s, are they blown completely out of proportion?
    I haven't looked at all, but I honestly haven't read anything about problems. What would these problems be?

It's hard for me to really comment on the Gen 4 Glock 19 vs the Gen 3 Glock 19 epic rap battle of history, because I would say basically the same thing about both of them: They do what I want them to without giving me the slightest bit of trouble.

The changes I'm aware of vs. Gen 3 Glock 19: Reinforced recoil spring assembly, some changes to the trigger, more grippy grip, and adjustable grip size.

Reinforced recoil spring assembly: I honestly haven't noticed much difference in the perceived recoil, but the spring is obviously beefier.

Trigger Changes: I haven't really compared them side by side, but they seem pretty similar to me. I have the trigger reset on my gen 4 down really well and can shoot it faster and more accurately than a gen 3, but anyone would say that about their personal weapon.

Grip: I vastly prefer the pistol grip of the Gen 4. It is way grippier. I have grizzly bear paws for hands, but for some reason, the smallest grip feels most comfortable to me, so I haven't really bothered to try the medium or large adapters. As far as the grip angle goes, I feel like the Gen 4 is angled just a tiny bit differently, which is definitely in my favor.

Reliability: I can't really say which is better, since I've never had either malfunction on me. The last 400 rounds through my gen4 have been crappy Russian Brown Bear Ammo, and it doesn't seem to mind that in the least. I've also put mid-range, target shooting ammo, and self defense loads through it, and it has liked all of them.

I've only had the Gen 4 glock 19 since July, but it's never failed on me. My fiancee absolutely loves it, and basically refuses to shoot anything else. I don't think you could go wrong with either the Gen 3 or the Gen 4, but I prefer the Gen 4.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast