Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glock 19 -or- Sig P226 -OR?

I'm in the market for a new (to me) 9mm handgun. I've owned a Beretta 92FS for years, don't fire it all that often (once per month max), don't carry it except in a box to the range.

Anyway, I have smallish hands and the Beretta has always been a bit too big for me and I especially hate the double-action trigger pull. It feels good on the single-action pulls though, that is why I "settled" for it and bought the line on its reliability, easy to get parts, battle and LEO tested, blah blah blah. I want to get a pistol that fits my hand better.

The only two other 9mm pistols I have fired are the Glock 19 (in my initial training course) and the Sig P226 (range rental). I like both, REALLY like the Sig P226 and honestly will probably just go with one of those. However, one of my local ranges recently acquired a stock of LEO used Glock 19's that they have rebuilt and are selling for $500 with tritium sights. The Sig I would buy new as there aren't too many used ones floating around.

So I'm basically looking for direct feedback on those two weapons from folks with more experience with them, cost/benefit suggestion, i.e. is the Sig worth the extra $400 I'd have to pay to get one new vs. the deal on the used Glock, realiability issues on both but particularly on a rebuilt Glock and whatever other info you'd like to provide for me.

And yes I'm definitely open for suggestions on other 9mm's to go rent and try out that are similar to these two that I'm leaning toward.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally have the glock 19, I'm a fan. I know people with the sig, the screw in the grip gets loose after a hundred or so rounds and it rusts like a mofo. I know people with the Smith and Wesson 5946 and its great. While I like the glock, its reliable and accurate, its just a no frills gun, someone who wants a nice conversation piece or show piece could do better than the glock.

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:48pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go with the glock 19. The Sig P226 is totally not worth the extra money. Your smallish hands will thank you. Also: where do you live that a used glock 19 goes for 500 bucks?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Go with the glock 19. The Sig P226 is totally not worth the extra money. Your smallish hands will thank you. Also: where do you live that a used glock 19 goes for 500 bucks?
    Bay Area, CA. Everything is expensive here. Yes it sucks.

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:54pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you considered ordering a glock from gunbroker or some other less expensive site and having it shipped to your local FFL?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Have you considered ordering a glock from gunbroker or some other less expensive site and having it shipped to your local FFL?
    That is possible, but to do that (called "non-local transaction) the local FFL's will charge you a $75.00 processing fee, plus $25.00 DROS fee, plus CA sales tax, plus you have to buy a CA certified gun lock for it at the point of sale. So minimum $100.00 slapped on to the shipped-in purchase price from anywhere, plus gun lock. When the dealers here sell them directly they generally include the gun lock and you only pay the $25 DROS plus CA tax.

So you see this is a big part of why they are so expensive here, stricter regulations. 10-round magazine limit in CA as well plus a pretty strict limited authorized list of gun models that can be purchased in State.

All that being said I still don't blame the Government for all this rigamarole nearly as much as I blame the large number of gangbanger a-holes we have in CA that take potshots at Cops.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 5:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But back on topic I'd love to hear more feedback about these weapons or similar models rather than talk about costs, fees, and regulations.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did I mention the S&W 5946, it has an adjustable grip. For the dainty handed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 9:32am

Style: CMD MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've conceal carried my G19 for going on 13 years now. It has been nothing but a pleasure to shoot, maintain and buy gear for. Do a search on price and availability of parts & magazines and that may help influence your decision.

Another option to look at if price isn't that much of an issue is the Heckler & Koch P30. It's probably one of the most accurate, reliable and ergonomic 9x19's on the market right now.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    I know people with the sig, the screw in the grip gets loose after a hundred or so rounds and it rusts like a mofo.
    I've got a P229 with over 1700 rounds through it and never had either of those issues.

Buy what you enjoy shooting. Personally, I don't like the Glock trigger so I went for the Sig. However, if you don't like the double-action pull of the Beretta, I don't know that you'll like the DA on the Sig either: it's pretty heavy.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast