Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:29am

Style: BJJ, MT, MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Food before training BJJ question

Due tothe new schedule.....

30 - 40 minute drive to the office. I leave for work at about 8:00 am, usually do lunch between 2 and 3:00 pm. I get out at 5:30 pm. I drive past where I train on the way home and training is 6:30 - 8:30 pm. If I tried to go home I'd have just enough time to park then turn around and drive to train. So basically, I'll just be hanging out at the office until it's time to leave to train, but I won't make it home for "dinner" until about 9:00 pm.

I'm 6'0 and currently about 160 lbs with a super high metabolism, like I could eat cake for every meal and not gain any weight, so my sugar drops fast. I'm going to adjust lunch time so I can eat a little earlier. The issue is, I can't just eat at my desk any time I want. The best time for me to eat would be 5:30 to 6 after I close, but i don't want a meal sitting in my gut when I roll.

I could use some advice on when / what I could eat to keep from gassing. I'm thinking about maybe hitting "lunch" about 12:30 or 1 (if I can get away) and a smaller meal about 4 or so (with some L-Glutamine) then maybe a light snack or protein drink about 5:30? Maybe some pasta salad type deal for some complex carbs?

This is only Tuesdays and Thursdays, my other training days are so much less hectic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 11:42am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just overcome a similar problem. I've got a very high metabolism too, just under 6ft 6" and 190lb. We roll very hard at our club and even though I have good cardio (I do weights and run 5 miles a couple of times per week) I was gassing out big time. For energy, I have a bowl of porridge (oatmeal) with raisins an hour before training along with a does of creatine and a pint of water. I noticed the difference to my energy levels almost immediately. If you can't get to a microwave for the porridge then you can just as easily make some homemade flapjacks (you can throw some whey etc in for good measure). Make sure you have access to your water bottle during training too, it's easy to get dehydrated rolling especially if you supplement with creatine.