Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:28pm

Style: TKD & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What's the best way to deal with jerks while sparring?

A few weeks back I sparred this guy at my muay thai gym. We'd sparred previously a few months back, but without kicks because he didn't have shin guards yet. His technique completely changed during the most recent time we sparred. He just seemed fixated on knocking my head off this time around, complete with haymaker after haymaker. I came out of it alright since they were all pretty telegraphed, but it surprised the hell out of me when he launched the first haymaker because I saw a few months back that he did indeed know how to punch and now this time he just full on tried to slug me. Two questions:

1) Do any of you guys have stories similar to this?

2) How did you deal with it/ How should someone deal with it?
    Last edited by jnp; 3/22/2011 11:41pm at . Reason: removed mild expletive from title. All hail Google, except in China.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to hear his side of the story because, you guys were sparring. You said that you were surprised and he probably thought he saw a flaw in your defense. You really didn't explain why he is a dick.

Also, don't put that in your title again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough, I'll remember not to put that in my title in future threads. It's one thing to throw a haymaker once if you see a flaw, but every punch he threw at me for two minutes straight were haymakers. I'd love to hear his side of the story too, but I didn't ask and he shows up irregularly at the gym.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:48pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I'd love to hear his side of the story because, you guys were sparring. You said that you were surprised and he probably thought he saw a flaw in your defense. You really didn't explain why he is a dick.

Also, don't put that in your title again.
    Also, what were the "terms" of the sparring? Was it a full-contact, competitive match or more of a "learning" situation? In the first, your opponent essentially has free reign to exploit whatever strategy he wishes and any holes in your strategy that he feels he can exploit. In the second, it is more of a dick move.

As for suggestions, there is always the option of speaking up. When you're in class, in theory you're all there to learn, and both partners in a sparring match should have at least some level of respect for that. Another option is to turn the tables. Find the hole in his strategy and exploit it in return.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was pure learning experience. If it were full contact competitive spar I wouldn't have cared and just welcomed his openings every time he threw one of those hits. Sorry it didn't occur to me to say that, I'm tired and am not exactly at 100% in terms of thinking. And I wasn't really left with any chance to get a word in, I wasn't really joking with the haymaker after haymaker comment. Although I was quite surprised he wasn't gasping for air despite doing all that.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 4:43am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i get this from new guys sometimes (im not particularly big, very, white, and rock the glasses) but generally, ill just wallop the **** out of them and then in between rounds tell them that if they try it again, i WILL put them down. works a charm.

if youre new, well, i dunno. train 8 hours a day and then fucking demolish his ass every time you spar. make it so he avoids you, and jumps whenever someone approaches him from behind, such is his fear of your psychotic fury.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best way? Don't play with them anymore.

My personal way? Stop the live session and exclaim "wow,that's an excellent strategy/technique/method/etc. Can you show me what you're doing?". Then, as I'm following their instruction during demo and drill, perform at full power, speed, and intensity while repeatedly asking "is this the right way?"
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 8:27am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just tell him you want to bang away at 80% and ask him to leave out the haymakers. If you don't point it out to him then how's he to know that he's going to hard for a friendly spar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 8:45am

Style: MT/BJJ/JKD/FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had this happen to me a few times, and others have already correctly said it will depend on the situation.

If both of us are getting ready for a fight, or have agreed to go heavy - we go heavy and that's that.
    If it's a technical sparring session, then I'd politely ask him/her to ease off when they land a real heavy shot - if they persist, then I'll stop and refuse to spar with them.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 8:47am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grow a pair and talk to the guy you have a problem with instead of posting bullshit.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast