Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 5:59pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LDHG + Deep half entry tips - Aesopian's vids

So I've been playing a decent amount of Long Distance Half Guard (aka the Z Guard/Far half etc) and pairing it with exploring the Deep Half guard. I'm decently familiar with the lockdown etc but I don't want that to be my only game from bottom half.

So I thought I would browse the forums for any tips/techniques and what do you know, I came across Aesopian's 3 year old videos that basically cover exactly the questions I was thinking of asking. ( in case you haven't seen them) So, first of all, awesome videos (including the modified scarf submission series, very similar to my game from that position....just done much cleaner and much better) but I was hoping people could provide some extra advice/tips on one particular issue.

I can get to deep half pretty well from Knee on Belly and during transitions, but I still often have a hell of a time getting there from half guard. The videos show 3 different basic leg movements to getting the person moving the right direction but I still feel like I often get stuck and they just stay rooted to the spot. In other words, I try to dive under and can usually get the arm through their legs but then struggle to get any momentum to rock them forward to complete the motion. So either I have to hit the transition/sweep during a scramble or from one or two specific positions but I can't "force" the action from LDHG or traditional half guard.

Are there are good additional tips or tricks to this, or is it simply that you have to just drill it over and over until you feel more comfortable with it? Or is it more of a timing issue?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 4:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cant add much but if you are after some resources, Robson Moura has some good stuff on gi and no gi Z guard. Ryan Hall and Jeff Glover both have stuff on deep half guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, I'll have to try and track down some of Moura's stuff, I didn't know he had anything on that guard (a little more familiar with Hall and Glover though not deeply enough). I use a couple of his arm bar/triangle setups from side mount and really like his game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, I'm having a little more success in the past few days by really trying to focus on my leg movement/whip to drive them where I want them to go, instead of relying on my upper body to muscle them into position. Similar to trying to get into a good electric chair position without relying on brute force.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 7:15am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned pretty much all my Z guard -> Deep Half Entries from a Jeff Glover Seminar. I also have both Jeff Glover's and Ryan Hall's Deep Half Guard DVD. Both worth owning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I'm in love with Jeff Glover's game (especially after seeing his clips from the most recent Abu Dhabi trials in San Diego). The other thing that I have to work on is to remember that you really have to dive deep under with your arm (like up to the elbow if possible) instead of getting half way and then they basically sit on your forearm.