Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 10:16pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the love of god, please stop saying "whacking it".

Seriously, though, hand conditioning for spear hand is generally a bad idea. One of those videos you posted shows why. There were a couple guys on there who I would bet could not type to save their lives. Kind of important in this day and age.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 10:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I think that conditioning for it through finger pushups, gripping of the jars, and other associated finger strength exercises is a good idea, what I think is not alright is constant impact training of the spearhand, I think you should only do impact either in self defense to the area between the hip and ribs on the side, to the neck area, or the armpit with the well conditioned spearhand, soft areas of the human body in other words. I believe you should demonstrate through breaking or testing only to give yourself the occasional confidence boost which means don't do it often.

Now my toe kick on the other hand is a different story, the way I do it has no joints being directly smashed together, I use the classic uechi ryu toe kick method, and I can kick heavy furniture around with just the tip of my big toe. Took time and care to develop, but it works.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 11:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    traditional conditioning methods are part of traditional martial arts. Feel free to supplement with bag training and more sport-oriented conditioning, but don't give up on the traditional ways. A big part of training in traditional martial arts is preserving the old ways, not many people see value in it but it definitely has historical value.
    Keep going!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 1:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    traditional conditioning methods are part of traditional martial arts. Feel free to supplement with bag training and more sport-oriented conditioning, but don't give up on the traditional ways. A big part of training in traditional martial arts is preserving the old ways, not many people see value in it but it definitely has historical value.
    Keep going!
    The OP said he's looking to learn how to beat the crap out of people, not become a walking history museum.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 1:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz
    The OP said he's looking to learn how to beat the crap out of people, not become a walking history museum.
    No, it didn't. Go back & read it again.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345