Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 12:39pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ramon Dekkers had it right, just hit the heavy bag. Why would you whack yourself in the shin with a mallet when you can just kick the bag? When doing bag work, your training is two fold; you are practicing the technique while at the same time conditioning your body. With the mallet, you're only getting half the benefit, if that.

Another great alternative is to practice strikes with a partner. Leg kicks for example. Partner throws leg kicks, you wither take the kick or check the kick. Both of you are practicing technique and both are getting the conditioning. And it adds the experience of actually hitting a person.

That being said, there are some non skill based conditioning methods. If you want to strengthen the legs, jogging is one of the best things you can do. Running causes the same small fractures in the bones of the leg that kicking a bag will. Just give your body a chance to recover once in a while so those bones grow back stronger. Remodeling for the win.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My God, we have like a thousand pages on a bone conditioning thread around here. The general consensus was just to hit the bag, though I think Dale has some pretty good iron body training, if you are into that type of thing.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ashikitae(hitting the legs of each other) is a part of kotekitae(hitting the arms of each other). During kotekitae we also wallop the stomach and the lats. Been doing that for years now. Actually you are right with the person it is far better, for if you don't turn your foot enough the kick will have practically no real force due to having poor lead and no follow through, and to verify this your partner will give you a disapproving look. It actually forces you to have better technique for you will feel ashamed if you don't and start asking questions on how to improve.

On checking kicks, this is an interesting topic, I bring the leg up directly in the center so not only won't it hit shin to shin, but it will also block a front kick to protect my groin, I see other people in my dojo bringing it to the side to check the kick, being more force on force, resulting in more shin punishment and exposing their groins, I and my instructors always tell them this is a no no, but it seems to be a typical beginner habit, how do you all check kicks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:13pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually HARDERISAY, I was taught to check kicks the opposite of how you do. From what I know, you want to turn the shin to the outside and get that shin to shin contact. If you just bring your leg straight up the center the kick will land on the outside of your leg directly on the fibula. The fibula is the smaller and weaker of the two bones that make up the lower leg. If you take a hard kick here there is a very good chance that you will break your fibula.

You want to turn your leg out so that the thicker tibia takes the impact. The tibia is much thicker, and if you have been doing leg conditioning it should be strong enough to absorb a leg kick without snapping like a dry twig. It will hurt to check the kick, but it will probably hurt your opponent more. Checking an opponents kick can even break THEIR leg. There are some gnarly videos out there of legs snapping in half due to this.

As for protecting the groin...well, if the opponent is going for a leg kick they probably wont be able to redirect to the daddy bag to easily. Unless they plant their kicking foot and just blast you in the nuts with their opposite hand. But most people will prefer going for the abdomen on head in that situation....I hope.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah you are correct hurr, if your opponent knows how to throw a leg kick and you check by bringing it directly up in front two things are gonna happen-

1, its gonna hit the soft side of your lower leg and hurt like a bitch, and also have a much higher chance of damaging your fibula,

2, its gonna **** up your balance. a good leg check can argueably be called an offensive move, you are hitting the opponents leg before it gets to its full power and hopefully knocking them off balance. if they hit you while your leg is up straight in front of you, its gonna smash it to the side.

basically sounds to me like the OP is being taught wrong, as a joke.

edit- my coach actually had both the bones in the lower part of his leg broken from a perfectly executed leg check. maybe he should have hit himself with a bat more often?
    Last edited by alex; 3/23/2011 2:40pm at .

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HARDERISAY View Post
    .... Like Mas Oyama with his TERRIBLE arthritis in his later years....
    Why does this ridiculous rumor keep spreading... Mas Oyama didn't have "TERRIBLE arthritis in his later years". Late in life he was writing letters, painting, had no perceivable problems. & this is from Jon Bluming, who DID suffer from arthitis and at the same time was quick to debunk all of the myths about Oyama taking out bulls with one-strike kills, etc.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:49pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, sometimes it is easier to just hit oneself in the leg with a stick than to chase down the gi wearing crybabies one shares a dojo with in order to train in a way which isn't stupid.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is why you also hit the lower part of the leg(the fibula part)when doing conditioning. You are also supposed to be building a shield of muscle on the outer part of your lower leg. Also the purpose of the check is to stop the buildup of momentum, this is done by stopping the knee of a round kick from going past the target and by shortening the lever action of leg that is striking at you, it also depends upon where they are aiming on you when you execute your check, is it to the leg, hips, area between hips and ribs, ribs?

Also by bringing the leg up to center I can check and use a front kick at the same time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone please point me to some website that explains the physiology of this alleged "shield of muscle" that I could be building on the outer part of my leg. And while we are at it, can I build this alleged shield anywhere on my body that I want?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tibialis anterior.

And with modern stem cell science in theory yes.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast