Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Conditioning your striking weapons

I am new here, but I have 7 years of martial arts experience, three years in aikido which I have mostly discarded, and 5 years in karate with a shodan ranking.

I am curious as to how all of you condition your striking implements.
    I myself give my hands the once over on the makiwara three times a week, I do kotekitae, I whack my shins and arms with rubber mallets and then rub them down, I do weight bearing exercises on my big toes in addition to whacking them, and I do finger exercises to improve my spearhands. Also how should I condition my knees and elbows for impact if possible without screwing them up?

What do you all do to conditiion the things you perhaps intend to use one day to beat the crap out of people?

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 3:43pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... I punch bags and people. I don't plan on doing battle with robots any time soon, nor do I know the process for making a golem.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HARDERISAY View Post
    I am new here, but I have 7 years of martial arts experience, three years in aikido which I have mostly discarded, and 5 years in karate with a shodan ranking.

I am curious as to how all of you condition your striking implements.
    I myself give my hands the once over on the makiwara three times a week, I do kotekitae, I whack my shins and arms with rubber mallets and then rub them down, I do weight bearing exercises on my big toes in addition to whacking them, and I do finger exercises to improve my spearhands. Also how should I condition my knees and elbows for impact if possible without screwing them up?

What do you all do to conditiion the things you perhaps intend to use one day to beat the crap out of people?
    when asked about his conditioning, the legend Ramon Dekkers simply said "just hit the heavy bag"

i dont see the point of mangling your joints, unless you just cant get enough of the arthritis.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 4:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You only get mangled joints if you beat on the makiwara hundreds of times a day everyday. I only give about ten hits each side with a closed fist, and that is maybe three times a week, also I don't stand directly in front of the makiwara, I stand so that the shoulder of my striking arm is in line with the makiwara, ensuring better transference of energy into the makiwara due to the straighter arm when it hits(and yeah keep your shoulder down). And I don't pound the **** out orf my limbs recklessly, only as much as they can take without bruising.

I am not yet like this guy.

Or this guy:

Definitely getting there though.

I think the misconception with impact conditioning is the guys who go on marathon sessions, and then not giving time for their bodies to reform and adjust. Like Mas Oyama with his TERRIBLE arthritis in his later years.

It is like anything else with the martial arts, if you don't really know what you are doing you are going to hurt yourself and possibly someone else.

Also while I do respect Ramon Dekkers, he can't put his fingertips through people. Nor can he, as you say, fight robots.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also while I do respect Ramon Dekkers, he can't put his fingertips through people. Nor can he, as you say, fight robots.
    ..and yet he could probably have kicked the ass of every makiwara user you'll ever meet.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 5:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, idiot.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any video of a karateka putting his fingertips through someone?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 9:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 4:49am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

so much tard right here. show me a vid of someone actually stabbing their fingers through a person (a fucking watermelon doesnt count, btw) cos he has plenty of him slaughtering people with basically every part of his body.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 6:22am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well myself personally I actually train instead of hitting myself with hammers, cause Skill is the "thing" I use to beat my opponents.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast