Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 5:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Rashad won't win. He has decent enough boxing to do it, but he won't take the risk so he won't be seeing the reward.

I predict Rashad to try and wrasslefag his way to victory.. and fail.
    I foresee Rashad getting in there and making an ass of himself as well... He did train with Jones so it will be a good fight for a lil while but Rashad lacks the tools necessary to get this job done. He is a great fighter he is just outclassed by this kid.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing as they're gym-mates, they probably already know who will take this fight, barring unforeseen circumstances (ie. Rashad has potential to KO people, but it's not a consistent occurence)
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 9:02pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Machida could have a shot. I can see him having the timing to throw a straight left down the middle on one of those spinning strikes, considering Jones usually has his hands down by his waist when he throws them.

This is assuming he can get his head back together enough to get another title shot. If the Rampage fight was any indication, the Shogun KO really screwed his confidence in the cage.

:)

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 9:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    the dude is a SKELETON at the weigh ins. name me one fight where hasnt showed up with a massive size advantage? he made Bader and Rua look like children. he is NOT gonna be able to make that cut for much for longer. I agree with Kints prediction. unless they make another 205-230 pound division, hes gonna be a goner in a few years time.
    Kintanon said this ****
    He's 23. he'll continue to fill out until his late 20s. He already cuts a pretty good bit to get down to 205. The cut will only get harder as he gets older. I'm calling it 28 before the cut starts to take a big toll on his performance.
    ^^^ yep. Overeem said in an interview he used to pee blood, he'd have to cut so much. Kint called it. The interesting thing is, just as (I'd read) the LHW was set at 205 lb b/c Tito Ortiz fought best at that weight (Can't remember where I saw that, take w/ salt), perhaps Jones is an EPIC enough fighter, that they'll see the need for a HW and SHW class.

In a few years, when he can't easily make 205, and considering they now own the SF contracts, if he's still the man, they're almost in a position where they could fill out a 205-230 and still have lots of guys in 231-265.

I'd like to see them do 205-245, and then 246-285. That would let some of the bigger men, not cut so much, and open up the league to some SHW's that could conceivably cut to 285.

With all the hormones in our food, eventually guys like Brock and Overeem will be fighting against bigger-yet individuals.
    Dana said in his HDNet interview, that the main reason for SF purchase was more fighters, more fights. He said the WEC was attained for more weight classes. We may yet see another division added. I hope so.

:)

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a less indirect response to the OP's ?

It's going to be very hard for anyone to beat him at 205. His reach, unpredictability, youth, vigor, cage intelligence, and drive will be too much, for possibly any of the old guard.

I thought Rua had the experience to make him pay, for his moments of openness, but he's just too damn big, too damn fast, clever and such.

So much so, that it's like watching a combination of Iron Monkey (Donnie Yen version), and little man Tate. As someone who tries to be an inspired performer, I can see it in him, in the biggest way. He's going to raise the bar, for everyone.

I'd love to see him train w/ Cung Le, in addition to his guys now. Take his amazing athleticism, and get some tips from Mr Kicks, and you'd get a whole new type of mma fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:05pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    With all the hormones in our food, eventually guys like Brock and Overeem will be fighting against bigger-yet individuals.
    Dana said in his HDNet interview, that the main reason for SF purchase was more fighters, more fights. He said the WEC was attained for more weight classes. We may yet see another division added. I hope so.
    But that's just it. Looking purely at length, Jones is taller than Lesnar and has a greater reach. So if Jones bulks up, I'd say he'd make a good heavyweight, that weight class seems to be more natural for him. And considering his age, bulking up shouldn't be difficult.He even has reach advantage over Overeem.

While both big guys, Lesnar and Overeem are not that tall so I can see a bigger guy than them come up within a couple years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 11:17am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eh. Rashad may have the boxing skill, but boxing with someone who has that much reach on you... i don't see it happening.

to use a Roganism, Jones will just keep calm and punch him from another state.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 4:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Rashad won't win. He has decent enough boxing to do it, but he won't take the risk so he won't be seeing the reward.

I predict Rashad to try and wrasslefag his way to victory.. and fail.
    that's exactly why I hate Rashad. He wants to play it safe...no risk. It applies to his decision to take fights too. The guy waits a whole year to fight shogun because he's scared he might get hurt or lose to someone else and mess up his shot. So what happens? he gets hurt, loses his shot and now he's all butt hurt. Looks like he's pissed that Jon took the title shot...so now he's judas.

But on topic, I think any heavy handed striker in the LHW division has a fighter's chance. I actually think that Rampage might have the best shot from a power standpoint. With the current crop, it's really just going to be someone catching him. The guy that beats him, probably isn't in the UFC just yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 4:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyer View Post
    But that's just it. Looking purely at length, Jones is taller than Lesnar and has a greater reach. So if Jones bulks up, I'd say he'd make a good heavyweight, that weight class seems to be more natural for him. And considering his age, bulking up shouldn't be difficult.He even has reach advantage over Overeem.

While both big guys, Lesnar and Overeem are not that tall so I can see a bigger guy than them come up within a couple years.
    I agree... he walks around at 220-225...as he gets older that walking around weight will get significantly higher. You figure rampage is shorter and he walks around at 240-250 ish. Granted rampage has more of a body builder's build. However, I could see bones locking in at 240 or so and just not having to cut weight at all. I think he would be more than strong enough to compete at a 240 walking around weight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 5:49pm

Style: Kickboxing/BJJ/Wimp

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyer View Post
    Last time I checked, Overeem was 6'5", with a reach of 81.5". I'd call that tall, with a huge reach.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderFunk View Post
    I agree... he walks around at 220-225...as he gets older that walking around weight will get significantly higher. You figure rampage is shorter and he walks around at 240-250 ish. Granted rampage has more of a body builder's build. However, I could see bones locking in at 240 or so and just not having to cut weight at all. I think he would be more than strong enough to compete at a 240 walking around weight.
    I'm not sure how big a problem it's going to be for jones to cut, even as he gets heavier. You have guys, like Rampage, who drop close to 45 pounds. Lesnar walks close to 290 and drops to 265.

However, if Bones does bulk up significantly and to a point he where he can't cut to LH, it doesn't mean he can't compete in the Heavyweight Division - look at Velasquez. He's a smaller heavyweight than some (244 pounds), but is arguably top of the heap in the UFC.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast