222231 Bullies, 4360 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC 128: Shogun-Jones

Jon 'Bones' Jones had a big night last month at UFC 126, defeating Ryan Bader and earning himself a title shot.

Jones had a another big night on Saturday. On his way to the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, he stopped a burglar as he attempted to steal a car's GPS.

Later that night, he became the UFC's new light-heavyweight champion, defeating Mauricio "Shogun" Rua halfway through the third round by way of strikes. Rua was overwhelmed throughout the first round but managed to limp through the second round despite being out-wrestled and out-struck by Jones.

Jones certainly poses a problem for most of the UFC's light-heavyweight division. His wrestling is top notch and he boasts the longest reach in the UFC, and his unorthodox striking keeps opponents guessing.

Shogun was unable to mount any significant offense against Jones, giving up eight inches in reach.

Jon "Bones" Jones is set to defend his title against former team-mate Rashad Evans at a yet-undecided date. Thankfully, the fighters will have more then six weeks to prepare, as the cards for UFC 129 and 130 have already been reported by the UFC.

Also at UFC 128:

Urijah Faber won over Eddie Wineland by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Wineland won a close first round striking with Faber. Faber dominated the second round with solid ground and pound, as well as the third with superior striking and a late takedown followed by good ground and pound.

Jim Miller defeated Kamal Shalorus by technical knockout (2:15, Round 3)

Jim Miller was dominant throughout the early rounds. He dropped Kamal with a solid left uppercut followed by a knee and finished him with hammerfists.

Nate Marquardt won over Dan Miller by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

The first round was back and forth early on. Dan Miller had Marquardt in a solid guillotine attempt. Nate got out of it and controlled the rest of the round. The second was more of the same. Marquardt won the third by strong ground and pound.

Brendan Schaub defeated Mirko Filipovic by technical knockout (3:44, Round 3)

Mirko and Schaub go back and forth early on. Schaub does good work on the ground and Mirko looks solid on his feet. Schaub was docked a point in the second for strikes to the back of Mirko's head but went on to drop Filipovic with a hard right in the third.

Preliminary Bouts:

Joseph Benavidez won over Ian Loveland by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
    Nick Catone won over Costantinos Philippou by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
    Eric Koch defeated Raphael Assuncao by knockout (Round 1, 2:32)

Spike TV Preliminary Bouts

Luiz Cane defeated Eliot Marshall by technical knockout (Round 1, 2:15)
    Edson Barboza won over Anthony Njokuani by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

Facebook Preliminary Bouts

Mike Pyle won over Ricardo Almeida by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    Gleison Tibau won over Kurt Pellegrino by split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)

Fight of the Night: Edson Barboza and Anthony Njokuani
    Knockout of the Night: Brendan Schaub & Eric Koch*

*: Presumably two Knockout of the Night bonuses were granted as no Submission of the Night bonus was awarded (no fights were ended by submission)
    Last edited by Kickapoo; 3/22/2011 6:42pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post

Brendan Schaub defeated Mirko Filipovic by technical knockout (3:44, Round 3)

Brendan Schaub was dominant throughout the fight with strong takedowns. He was docked a point in the second for strikes to the back of Mirko's head but went on to drop Filipovic with a hard right in the third.
    i would hardly call Schaub "dominant" in that fight. far from it.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    i would hardly call Schaub "dominant" in that fight. far from it.
    Fixed that. Rewatching it now, I remember Schaub being much more dominant. Thanks.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid