Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 2:40am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Hey, that's pretty awesome, how you're able to diagnose the type and extent of someone's disability via the Internet in order to decide that one kind or another of handbike must work fine for them—especially when bringing home groceries during a Boston winter! But you know, if you did want to Paypal me the $2700 my friend would need to buy the sort of handbike she could even potentially ride, I'll be sure to pass that money on to her, minus administrative and snarking fees.

PS: I've never owned a car and either walk or take public transit everywhere. The bane of my existence are assholes on the BART who think their bicycle is so awesome that they deserve the floor space of five people.
    This shows that there are nuances in cross cultural communications. A "cripple" in finnish is usually someone unable to walk because of problem with legs. And if there is a bike she could ride, was I wrong? And I don't know about "Boston winters", but I do know winters. And I do know paraplegic people who ride in the winter. Besides a "cripple" was brought up on two previous messages.

My point was: there are assholes behind steering wheels, and I bet there are assholes riding bikes. Dealing with aggressive drivers in cars is scary. Reading **** like this on a MA website, about people crushing into cyclists makes me sad. Even more than the article the comments about to be written here, you know the "serves them right" ones. I ride a bike as a hobby, but primarily as a method of transportation. I have to deal with all kinds of **** while doing so. Critical Mass serves a function here, and is not a carnival-slash-riot you seem to have there. And no, I don't have a car, purely of practical and economical reasons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 2:42am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post
    Last edited by neoex; 3/22/2011 2:42am at . Reason: double post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 5:56am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if the pathethic double shift worker didn't have a car and was risking to be run over by stupid car drivers everyday, in the "critical mass" that is car traffic, you'd write something about him too? Or he'd be a commie pinko cuz no car?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 9:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    I thought Critical Mass started in San Fransisco, as a demonstration of bike messengers protesting or trying to bring awareness to the amount of injuries and deaths suffered by bike messengers in San Fransisco. If anyone has seen some of those messengers, they really do ride by the seat of their pants, in a n attempt to get from point A to point B as quick as possible. From what I've been told, they started using track bikes that don't really have breaks but are great for speed. My daughter was almost run over by a bike messenger there last year, because he couldn't stop in time. So yeah they take over the streets along with bicyclists from other bay area cities and town in an attempt to "remind" drivers they share the road. I think, it's more about anarchy and disrupting the city, because they can.
    this would be known as "the type of people who want bicyclists to be treated as both pedestrian AND vehicle, depending upon whichever traffic law suits them at that moment"

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by neoex View Post
    This shows that there are nuances in cross cultural communications. A "cripple" in finnish is usually someone unable to walk because of problem with legs. And if there is a bike she could ride, was I wrong? And I don't know about "Boston winters", but I do know winters. And I do know paraplegic people who ride in the winter. Besides a "cripple" was brought up on two previous messages.
    No, it actually just shows that you are a royally privileged asshole. "Let them ride a handbike!"—without any knowledge of person's health or economic situation—is no different than "Let them eat cake!" I look forward to you getting in a horrifying accident on your bike and being told to walk to the hospital, and when you can't it being recommended that you just crawl instead.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two of my friends are big Critical Mass advocates, and sometimes go on about how now it's gotten out of hand and it's more about being a big group of drunk/high assholes than promoting bike awareness or something. Personally, I can get behind the idea more when it's less about promoting social change and more about having fun in a big group. As is often the case with large groups of hipsters drinking and having fun, there's gonna be douchebaggery. I've run into the Critical Mass rides while out skateboarding, and I'll join them for a while just for the hell of it.

In San Diego, they usually meet in Balboa Park near a big fountain and ride down a big hill into the downtown area, where they totally piss off everyone driving around downtown. You can stay at the top of the big hill and watch the fixed gear bikers get tossed off their bikes because they have no brakes and can't coast well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 11:21am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big groups tap into the "group" mentality. Only leaders get to retain their individuality in a high pressure big group situation. Now its just a matter of luck whether the "leader" of said movement is an asshole or not.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Big groups tap into the "group" mentality. Only leaders get to retain their individuality in a high pressure big group situation. Now its just a matter of luck whether the "leader" of said movement is an asshole or not.
    Your posts have an antisocial twang.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 12:51pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Your posts have an antisocial twang.
    Anti-social, me? IRL, I've got socializing down to a science.

You look at the clothes people wear, the expressions they use, the type of posturing they use and the dogma they subscribe to and than follow that. Simple, eh? BUT THIS TEH INTERNETZ! Me no likey having to pretend so no morez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 1:20pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post
    So if the pathethic double shift worker didn't have a car and was risking to be run over by stupid car drivers everyday, in the "critical mass" that is car traffic, you'd write something about him too? Or he'd be a commie pinko cuz no car?
    People in cars and on bikes both do stupid **** on the road. The difference is only one goes around once a month to intentionally **** with everyone trying to get anywhere. When people start using cars to make blockades against bikers your point will be valid.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast