Our Sponsors:

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 151617 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:48pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I saw this I thought it was going to be about Sir Mix-a-Lot's personal trainer. This is cool too though.

I ride a bike in Japan, a car in rural America, and haven't lived in a city in a Western country. I imagine I'd feel really unsafe on a bike in the US and wouldn't like to sweat in my work clothes. I feel unsafe enough on a motorcycle, but at least I can keep up with the flow of traffic and have insurance.

Watching the video of the Brazilian protestors though I was struck by how lackadaisical they were about the whole thing up until the car struck. Just idly pedaling and coasting and chatting and occasionally going the other way up the road. That to me just proves what a lot of drivers think: Cars are vehicles, bicycles are children's toys. You want to show me that bicycles are valid too? Race me to work and win, or at least come in a close second and save money.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    Race me to work and win, or at least come in a close second and save money.
    Over here when i lived and worked in town i rode to save time and i'd get a workout in too.
    Bike to downtown for warmup > gym(shower there) > work > ride home.
    I'd win that bet in a heartbeat just on the commute here:

It looks like this twice a day, every workday.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've yet to see any Critical Mass in Asia.

I have been down a bike path in China, riding in a van. We, along with the other vehicles circumventing a traffic accident, thoroughly enjoyed the right of way.

Who says Asians are the worst drivers?
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 4/11/2011 5:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 8:50pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Over here when i lived and worked in town i rode to save time and i'd get a workout in too.
    Bike to downtown for warmup > gym(shower there) > work > ride home.
    I'd win that bet in a heartbeat just on the commute here:

It looks like this twice a day, every workday.
    Right. But did you get there dicking around chatting with friends and coasting or did you get there riding like you meant to get somewhere? I support bikes in the right application (like downtown Osaka, where I've lived for the last three years). I can beat the subway over short distances even on my fruity little one-speed with the basket.

Is that Honolulu? I wish I could control my body temperature well enough to live there. Once I broke a sweat on the bike ride to work I'd be dripping all day. That's something that keeps me off a bike in mid-summer. Can I get a note about that from a doctor to show the massers if they obstruct me in the future?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What group of people should a driver plow through if the momentary delay was due to road work?

... or traffic volume?
    ... or a disabled tractor/trailer?
    ... or a break down?
    ... or sun glare?
    ... or you forgot something and had to turn back?

Carlin was right: Everyone faster than you is a maniac and everyone slower is a moron. Personally, I just have a different sense of time and not sweat a delay.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 8:12am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I've yet to see any Critical Mass in Asia.
    Funny because the CM idea came exactly from seeing that in Chinese cities there are so many bikes, that they become The traffic.
    http://critical-mass.info/origin.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 2:41pm

Style: BAWXIN'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post
    Funny because the CM idea came exactly from seeing that in Chinese cities there are so many bikes, that they become The traffic.
    Probably too busy supporting there families to be asscunts

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post

The name "Critical Mass" is taken from Ted White's 1992 documentary film about bicycling, "Return of the Scorcher". In the film, George Bliss describes a typical scene in China, where cyclists often cannot cross intersections because there is automobile cross-trafic and no traffic lights. Slowly, more and more cyclists amass waiting to cross the road, and when there is a sufficient number of them -- a critical mass, as Bliss called it -- they are able to all move together with the force of their numbers to make cross traffic yield while they cross the road.
    Emphasis is mine.

Big difference. The Chinese intent is to get where they need to go. They're crossing, not meandering down the middle of the road holding up the rest of the traveling populace.

I'll call bullshit on Bliss' so called "typical scene" in China.

...and....

Piss on San Francisco

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    What group of people should a driver plow through if the momentary delay was due to road work?

... or traffic volume?
    ... or a disabled tractor/trailer?
    ... or a break down?
    ... or sun glare?
    ... or you forgot something and had to turn back?

Carlin was right: Everyone faster than you is a maniac and everyone slower is a moron. Personally, I just have a different sense of time and not sweat a delay.
    all the things you listed are things that aren't a choice. if a car breaks down and clogs traffic, well, **** happens. if some bunch of fucking assholes decide to clog traffic on their bikes to try and prove a point.... theyre just a bunch of fucking assholes. they are making the conscious decision to **** with other people that doesn't happen with the things you just listed. hence the hate.

**** i dont own a car and until some assclown stole the seat off my bike i cycled a fair bit (now i just run, hate cycling anyway) but i was never a jerk in lycra taking up the whole road chatting to my other fat lycra friends. hate those clownboats.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    all the things you listed are things that aren't a choice. if a car breaks down and clogs traffic, well, **** happens. if some bunch of fucking assholes decide to clog traffic on their bikes to try and prove a point.... theyre just a bunch of fucking assholes. they are making the conscious decision to **** with other people that doesn't happen with the things you just listed. hence the hate.

**** i dont own a car and until some assclown stole the seat off my bike i cycled a fair bit (now i just run, hate cycling anyway) but i was never a jerk in lycra taking up the whole road chatting to my other fat lycra friends. hate those clownboats.
    You miss the point.

A driver doesn't really have a choice regardless of reason for delay.

A driver does, however have a real choice as to whether something other than themselves controls their emotional destiny.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.