Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2011 4:59pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DAYoung: Yep, infrastructure changes would be really good. But is infrastructure to blame for road rage type assaults with a vehicle as well, or would you say this is an individual road user being dumb/negligent/nasty?

Melbourne has pretty great cycling infrastructure. Looking forward to it next year :)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/09/2011 5:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peeowee View Post
    IIF:

So, I am lumping together everyone that laughs at snuff videos and doubt their intelligence. And that makes me a stupid?
    No, you are lumping your arguments together. In other words bicycle safety, a one off protest incident and making everything larger. That is not a snuff vieo.

I also tried to point out how this particular piece of snuff is highly charged to me and others. I have already explained that I didn't want to say both incidents are qualitatively equal, and next time will try to chose my words more carefully.
    You made an analogy equating protestors to war deaths. You edited your post to change what you meant and clarify. See above to understand what I am talking about in your argument.

Again a one off incident is not the same as individual incidents.

If that leaves you aggravated that ain't my problem, but what the hell, as you said I don't have to like everything you post and vice versa.
    Yes, I am glad you can use my remarks and still not follow my advice. You are "highly charged" or aggravated not me. Again, very carefully with more explanation.

You have taken three separate issues and lumped them all together. Then you attacked Snake and myself for not agreeing with your convoluted point.

Here are three of your main points:
    1) Cyclist safety
    2) Snuff Videos (sarcasm)
    3) Critical Mass.

The use of "you" is impersonal and not directed specifically at a particular poster.

You can hate Critical Mass and still be concerned with cyclist safety.
    You can laugh at the video and still be concerned with cyclist Safety.
    You can love Critical Mass and still be concerned with cyclist safety.
    You can hate the video, love Critical Mass, and be concerned with cyclist safety.

Follow me?

Now, when I say "lumping together" it is in response to this comment:
    They don't get run down on a regular basis.
    It was, essentially, an isolated incident.
    You lumped the three points above together in your response to Snake Plissken. Snake is essentially saying the Critical Mass incident in Brazil, not the individual deaths that you posted, is an aberration.

Does this make sense?
    As for the funeral biz:
    We have those nutcases here in the UK as well. I do know what you mean. Distasteful and disgraceful no doubt, and they are WEIRDOS, I agree with you on that for sure.
    But I stand by my point that a video of killing them would still not be funny. It'd be snuff, and snuff ain't funny.
    Yes, it would be funny. It would be ironically funny because, they would be feeling the same loss, as the military parents and family, and be equally as impotent to do anything about their family member being gone.

You don't have to agree and that's your prerogative. I also watch 1000 ways to die, even though some of those are fake, and laugh as well.

Edit:
    Nowhere did I say this incident was warranted or that I laughed at this video.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/09/2011 5:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2011 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Then you attacked Snake and myself for not agreeing with your convoluted point.
    Ehrm, convoluted as my writing may have been, I didn't attack you or Snake directly.
    Was referring to comments like this, that really give me a pretty bad taste in my mouth:

Watched it yet again. Still funny.

Showed it to coworkers. Belly laughs for everyone.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/09/2011 5:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ehrm, convoluted as my writing may have been, I didn't attack you or Snake directly.
    Was referring to comments like this, that really give me a pretty bad taste in my mouth:
    Okay.

I am referring to comments like this:
    I don't appreciate what you'd think is OK laugh at though, at least not in this case.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/09/2011 10:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People that cycle a lot could tell a myriad of stories about people purposefully trying to "teach them a lesson" for being on the road and making their commute 20 seconds longer, if that, and putting their lives in danger.

There are quite a few fatalities every year just in London.
    Amongst them servicemen and martial artists like Boxer Gary Mason.

http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/wes...3046-28320413/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12135980

So no, cyclists getting mowed down is not an isolated incident.
    To get an idea of how regularly this occurs check the page below:

http://www.lfgss.com/forum40.html

At least to me it's a topic that is highly charged.
    None of these stories are about Critical Mass Cyclists getting plowed into during a protest.

How about pedestrians killed by cyclists.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...en_hit_by.html

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DAYoung: Yep, infrastructure changes would be really good. But is infrastructure to blame for road rage type assaults with a vehicle as well, or would you say this is an individual road user being dumb/negligent/nasty?

Melbourne has pretty great cycling infrastructure. Looking forward to it next year :)
    As I said: assholes. They're everywhere.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 2:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    None of these stories are about Critical Mass Cyclists getting plowed into during a protest.

How about pedestrians killed by cyclists.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...en_hit_by.html
    It is one of the reasons why CM exists.
    It is also one of the reasons why people get "touchy feely" about ANY video of a cyclist run down and laughed at. Maybe as much as others about poorly chosen analogies to living in a war zone.

As for the pedestrian getting killed:
    This is very sad. The person who did this should get punished appropriately.

I wouldn't laugh about a video of a ped getting injured or killed by a bike on purpose, even if he held a protest for a bicycle free zone on a cycle path.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 8:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is one of the reasons why CM exists.
    It is also one of the reasons why people get "touchy feely" about ANY video of a cyclist run down and laughed at. Maybe as much as others about poorly chosen analogies to living in a war zone.
    Then you should have addressed your post to person whom laughed and used a better analogy and not make blanket illogical statements.

As for the pedestrian getting killed:
    This is very sad. The person who did this should get punished appropriately.
    I wouldn't laugh about a video of a ped getting injured or killed by a bike on purpose, even if he held a protest for a bicycle free zone on a cycle path.
    Then don't laugh, nobody cares.
    Then fine, that is your moral prerogative. But don't try and force your moral judgements upon others by likening a group of people choosing to impede traffic with a civilian whom has the misfortune of living in a warzone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've tried to make my point as clear as I could do. I'm sure that many people that cycle a lot will find this not a funny watch but instead close scenario to what could happen and nearly does happen to themselves every day on the road, served with a self-righteous attitude of "you don't belong on the road". And with that, I am out, going for a cycle.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've tried to make my point as clear as I could do. I'm sure that many people that cycle a lot will find this not a funny watch but instead close scenario to what could happen and nearly does happen to themselves every day on the road, served with a self-righteous attitude of "you don't belong on the road". And with that, I am out, going for a cycle.
    Try not to take your half of the road from the middle.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast