Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Been practicing with the 1911 so much I have a gnarsty ripped blister on my thumb

So, I've been practicing a lot for the local Corporate Challenge, which is coming up next Saturday. I've been shooting my 1911 so much that I have this gnarsty thing on my thumb.

I immediately thought of the "Summer of 69" lyric, "played until my fingers bled".
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 2:55pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did you manage to get a blister like that in that spot? Do you have an improperly fitted grip safety biting you or something?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 3:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    How did you manage to get a blister like that in that spot? Do you have an improperly fitted grip safety biting you or something?
    Well, when I shoot, my thumb rides the manual safety to help control recoil. I guess that part of the gun on or near the manual safety bites into my thumb when I do this. I got that blister through tape, by the way.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 8:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my grip. I am not using my left hand because I was using my left hand to hold the camera.

Note I put a band aid on my thumb. :p

EDIT: Now that I've been thinking about this and messing around with my grip a bit, I find that if I wrap my right hand a little further around to the left, I get a firmer press on the grip safety, and I don't seem to be getting pressure on that spot. Maybe tomorrow I'll go to the range and see if that helps me shoot a little better or not.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 3/22/2011 8:24pm at .

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 9:32pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never had this issue with any of my 1911s. Remember to keep the pistol in line with your forearm, by the way. It can have a negative effect on your trigger pull if your grip is off as it can cause too much or too little trigger finger contact. These are major factors in what causes many shooters to hit to the left or right of the target. Just want to mention this while you're messing with your grip.

My thumb also rides on the safety. Takes practice, though, because you don't want your thumb to rest on the slide as well.

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:55am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't ride the thumb safety; it just doesn't feel right to me. Honestly, I think the loose skin on the inside edge of your thumb might've been in just the right spot to impact the slide as it recoils. I keep my thumb a lot lower, like I'm making a fist (then again, I use a Modified Weaver stance).