Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 3:07pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thinking of trying something that'll help my fighting a lot more...

Been looking around my area for a good judo,BJJ,etc. school, but am unsuccessful. As for my backround, my formal training is Goju ryu karate and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. Now, as stated in the thread by Cold Skin, I'm thinking of quitting my Goju ryu school because it's getting way too pricy, the quality is horrible, and it's becoming less practical than my Bujinkan training. My Bujinkan school is alright: It's A LOT cheaper, there's some resistance, the teachers give students a thumbs up to the idea of crosstraining with other arts. We don't really act like "ninjas" and we're free to train in street clothes, minus the tabi. There is no sparring, or at least, not yet, but I brought it up to their attention and sparring sessions may happen someday. (They didn't tell me that "the art is too deadly to spar" crap like I've heard before) I like my Bujinkan training, but I'm also looking for practicality as well, so I'm thinking about cross training with BJJ, but everywhere is too pricy. So far, I've had to do non-stop sparring with my friends who've previously trained in judo and BJJ (Several of them have moved to my area and I befriended them), and I didn't do too bad against them. If anyone could give some advice or help out with my search for a good grappling school in northeast Pennsylvania, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What town do you live in? How far are you willing to travel?

Have you tried googling judo $yourtown?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    What town do you live in? How far are you willing to travel?

Have you tried googling judo $yourtown?
    I'm in St. Clair, near Pottsville. I'm willing to travel, at the most, a half an hour away. Yes, I've tried googling for a judo school, the only one close to me is an MMA gym that's even pricier than my Goju dojo. It's actually behind my house, and most of the guys that go there I'm not too fond of anyway. (They're douchey kids who think that one day in MMA makes them the baddest guy in town) I can't find a dojo online, but I'll see if my friends in school know of one.
    Last edited by SpamN'Cheese; 3/20/2011 3:32pm at . Reason: Additional statement

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 1:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big Judo club in Harrisburg exists,with some smaller satellite clubs. I see it might be more than 30 minutes, though.

is this some sort of tag team troll job between you and cold skin?

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Big Judo club in Harrisburg exists,with some smaller satellite clubs. I see it might be more than 30 minutes, though.

is this some sort of tag team troll job between you and cold skin?

Ben
    No, not at all. I've been looking for judo clubs for months now, with no leads. Tried google, nothing showed up. Thanks though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:50am

Style: MACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's tough when you are tight on cash. Did you check meetup.com ? Not the best place but worth a look. Also every once in a while if you watch classes and hand out at one of the schools you like around town you may be able to work a deal with the owner. Cleaning the studio or handing out fliers and the such.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasa View Post
    It's tough when you are tight on cash. Did you check meetup.com ? Not the best place but worth a look. Also every once in a while if you watch classes and hand out at one of the schools you like around town you may be able to work a deal with the owner. Cleaning the studio or handing out fliers and the such.
    No, I didn't actually. Anyways, I'm at school today, and I'm sneaking on as I'm doing an essay. I talked to the art teacher, who I figured was in judo, and she gave me info about her school, located in Minersville. My sis just got a house there, so it'll be easier to train.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    No, I didn't actually. Anyways, I'm at school today, and I'm sneaking on as I'm doing an essay. I talked to the art teacher, who I figured was in judo, and she gave me info about her school, located in Minersville. My sis just got a house there, so it'll be easier to train.
    Are you in highschool? Go join the wrestling team.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Are you in highschool? Go join the wrestling team.
    I might next year actually, they needed new people. I missed this year's try-outs, too busy baby-sitting my sister's babies.