Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 4:00am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Colt also has a looser slide-to-frame fit than SA and Kimber, which in my experience really does make for a more reliable pistol. My Colt has a few thousand through it with no issues of any kind and I honestly haven't taken the best care of it.
    I seem to recall Clint Smith saying in a video that Kimber had gone so crazy with creating tight 1911s that they had reduced reliability. I will try to find that on YouTube soon (I have a Go tournament tomorrow afternoon), but I imagine it took a lot for him to say that on camera.

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 1:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read up on the Rock Island guns. On one hand I'm put off by cast frames and slides, on the other hand there were quite a few positive reviews. They sound like a lot of bang for the buck but I like to stick to forged frames and slides.

Yes, you can't go for a gi set up on the SA Champ Operator, but you can go for a reverse plug assembly. Should be around $60 to change over then less than 10 every time you need a spring (vs $45 or more replacing the whole assembly through SA). I have been giving the Colts another look. The Wiley Clapp would be just slightly north of what I wanted to spend but I would be willing to wait a month or two to put together the cash to pick that up if everything is good. Gonna take a look at that today.

Oh. Oh. Dammit you may just have cost me a lot of money.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    I seem to recall Clint Smith saying in a video that Kimber had gone so crazy with creating tight 1911s that they had reduced reliability. I will try to find that on YouTube soon (I have a Go tournament tomorrow afternoon), but I imagine it took a lot for him to say that on camera.
    Heh, I'll second that. I wish my Kimber were more reliable. The accuracy is terrific but the reliability has maybe been sacrificed a little.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 2:45pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only Clapp Commander I've found so far in person was at a Gun Show in Phoenix but it was absolutely outstanding. The fit was just right, the front strap was a perfect texture, the grips were awesome, and the finish is just plain beautiful. I wish I made more money myself.

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 3:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here is the full size Operator

and the Lightweight Operator

I definately like both of these. Just talked to the off duty supervisor about funding this endeavor and she looked at me like I had three eyes in my head. WTF? Her mind is too strong for Jedi mind tricks, I gotta think of something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2011 9:42am

Style: CMD MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vorpal, I'm not sure if you've read this article. It's got some great points about selecting a 1911 (even though duty-oriented): http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Duty_Use.html

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    here is the full size Operator

and the Lightweight Operator

I definately like both of these. Just talked to the off duty supervisor about funding this endeavor and she looked at me like I had three eyes in my head. WTF? Her mind is too strong for Jedi mind tricks, I gotta think of something.
    Tell her about the drugged out islanders.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    3/26/2011 8:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thorkind, thanks for the link. That guy's thinking directly in line with my own. I think the off duty supervisor is coming aroun, putting my purchase permit paperwork in this week (required in the People's Republic of New Jersey). Next step is checking in at the gun store and finding out if the guns I'm interested in are even availible. It was a lot easier when I used to work for an arms importer.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 8:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF? Nothing I'm interested in is availible, apparently. Dammit.

Gonna console myself by sending my Stainless Steel Loaded 1911 from Springfield out to Robar for a few hundred dollars of absolutely uneeded cosmetic work (Rogard and NP3).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 8:09am

Style: CMD MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HA! It's the 1911 money pit.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast