Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 12:52pm

Style: Jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Head and Shoulders kills fungus with zinc, these soaps kill fungis with eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil. So while it may or may not do it better, it does do it differently. I think the biggest benefit to using one of these soaps over dandruff shampoo as a body wash is even without the fungus fighting stuff in them, they are high quality soaps. They are much better than the bars of detergent you buy at the store, these soaps haven't had the glycerin harvested out of them, among other things.

I make soap as a hobby, and I gave one of my bars to my old MMA coach. He fell in love with it, said it cleared up his bacne and kept his skin from drying out, and he felt cleaner after using it than the storebought soaps. It's not that it's handmade, it's that it's made with higher quality fats and the good stuff isn't harvested out of it to make skin lotions and stuff. These fighter soaps are done much the same way, though I'm pretty sure Fight Soap is made with glycerin soap base bought from the hobby store and they just melt it, color it, and add the anti fungal oils. Still, better than store bought soaps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 1:36pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Boran/Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdmc View Post
    Head and Shoulders kills fungus with zinc, these soaps kill fungis with eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil. So while it may or may not do it better, it does do it differently. I think the biggest benefit to using one of these soaps over dandruff shampoo as a body wash is even without the fungus fighting stuff in them, they are high quality soaps. They are much better than the bars of detergent you buy at the store, these soaps haven't had the glycerin harvested out of them, among other things.

I make soap as a hobby, and I gave one of my bars to my old MMA coach. He fell in love with it, said it cleared up his bacne and kept his skin from drying out, and he felt cleaner after using it than the storebought soaps. It's not that it's handmade, it's that it's made with higher quality fats and the good stuff isn't harvested out of it to make skin lotions and stuff. These fighter soaps are done much the same way, though I'm pretty sure Fight Soap is made with glycerin soap base bought from the hobby store and they just melt it, color it, and add the anti fungal oils. Still, better than store bought soaps.
    That is a very interesting perspective wv. And good to hear at the same time.

So, if you weren't making your own soap, you'd advocate a bar like Fight Soap or Defense Soap?

And on that note, you've peaked my interest... :-) What would one need to get started making a simple soap like Defense Soap, at home?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/21/2011 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdmc View Post
    I make soap as a hobby
    tyler? tyler durden? is that you?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 1:26pm

Style: Jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
    That is a very interesting perspective wv. And good to hear at the same time.

So, if you weren't making your own soap, you'd advocate a bar like Fight Soap or Defense Soap?

And on that note, you've peaked my interest... :-) What would one need to get started making a simple soap like Defense Soap, at home?
    Yeah I think Fight Soap or Defense Soap would definitely be worth it. It'll help fight fungus infections which is great, but you'll also notice a difference in how clean it gets you and the condition of your skin.

You could make it one of two ways. You can get a pre-made glycerin soap base and add the essential oils and colors and fragrances, or you can saponify your own fats and make your own base.

Using a pre-made base is easy, you just melt it in a double boiler, add your ingredients when it cools down a bit, and throw it in a mold. It's called melt and pour base and you can find it anywhere pretty much. http://www.teachsoap.com/mp.html I think this is how Fight Soap makes their soap, because it's transparent like melt and pour soap.

To make your own base, all you need is fat, which can be animal fat or vegetable fat like olive oil or coconut oil, and lye. I use a mixture of tallow, coconut oil, and olive oil. I get suet from a local meat processing plant, they just give it to me in 50 pound boxes, and render it into tallow. This makes my soap really cheap to make :) You will need to find a lye to fat table and do some calculating to figure out how much lye you need, http://home.earthlink.net/~skinesscentuals/LyeTable.htm You will mix the lye with some water

Then you melt the fats, wait until the lye and fats get to a certain temperature, put them together, add the lye, stir using a stick blender until it starts to trace (thicken), add your other ingredients like coloring, oils, fragrances, exfoliants, etc., then pour it into a mold. Wrap the mold in a towel and let it cure for about two weeks, and that's it! This is called cold process and you can find a ton of info on Google about it http://thesoapbar.blogspot.com/2008/...-tutorial.html

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/22/2011 3:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reekon_Nox View Post
    Fight soap is a good ideal trying to hope on the MMA money train but I see it as being gimicky. There are tons of normal soaps on the market that kills this and fights that that are a lot cheaper than Fight soap.

I think if you shower right after trainning use a good facial wash and shampoo you should be find. I have only been doing BJJ and Muay Thai for two weeks now and have noticed I started getting lil small acne like bumps on my forehead. So now I have started packing my shower stuff with me to the gym and shower before I leave.

If I got a sample bar and noticed something different that my normal soap doesnt do I might switch. But for me to just go out and by a bar because it is marketed as MMA or fightsoap. I just cant see it.
    You know about MRSA, right? One of our guys caught it training in California.

You've been training on the mat for how long again?

That's rhetorical question by the way.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 9:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course I think this is a great thread. 6 years ago when I created Defense Soap you would never find combat athletes having such discussions. We have 2 missions at Defense 1. Protect combat athletes and 2. Educate combat athletes through awareness. This thread is proof that we have come a long way towards reaching our goals. We actually sparked an industry that now protects combat athletes.

A couple tips for those making their own soap.
    1. Cut colors and perfumes. They only take up space in the bar that could be better used for active ingredients. We have no perfumes or dyes in Defense....just pure soap.
    2. Make sure you are absolutely consistent with your formula. When Defense was a homemade hand cut bar we noticed streaks and swirls. This really pointed out to us that this method of soap making when such high risks were at stake was not prudent on our part. Defense is made in a FDA approved facility which ensures consistency.
    3. Remind yourself why you are making this soap....if you are looking for a pretty smelling frilly soap you missed the point of why these soaps are even needed.

Wrestlers years ago used the dandruff shampoos to defeat fungal infections. These shampoos absolutely will provide this protection however there are many bacterial infections that we also have to protect ourselves from such as Staph, MRSA and Impetigo. The dandruff shampoos will not help you here. We learned this the hard way.

For a free sample of Defense Soap email us at defensesoap@msn.com with your full name and address and we will shoot you one right out. I encourage you to ask the same from our competitors so that you can do your own comparison.

Guy
    Defense Soap

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Defense Soap View Post
    Of course I think this is a great thread. 6 years ago when I created Defense Soap you would never find combat athletes having such discussions. We have 2 missions at Defense 1. Protect combat athletes and 2. Educate combat athletes through awareness. This thread is proof that we have come a long way towards reaching our goals. We actually sparked an industry that now protects combat athletes.

A couple tips for those making their own soap.
    1. Cut colors and perfumes. They only take up space in the bar that could be better used for active ingredients. We have no perfumes or dyes in Defense....just pure soap.
    2. Make sure you are absolutely consistent with your formula. When Defense was a homemade hand cut bar we noticed streaks and swirls. This really pointed out to us that this method of soap making when such high risks were at stake was not prudent on our part. Defense is made in a FDA approved facility which ensures consistency.
    3. Remind yourself why you are making this soap....if you are looking for a pretty smelling frilly soap you missed the point of why these soaps are even needed.

Wrestlers years ago used the dandruff shampoos to defeat fungal infections. These shampoos absolutely will provide this protection however there are many bacterial infections that we also have to protect ourselves from such as Staph, MRSA and Impetigo. The dandruff shampoos will not help you here. We learned this the hard way.

For a free sample of Defense Soap email us at defensesoap@msn.com with your full name and address and we will shoot you one right out. I encourage you to ask the same from our competitors so that you can do your own comparison.

Guy
    Defense Soap
    How do we know you're not Al Qaeda sending us soap with anthrax flakes in it?

Seriously send me some, I'll send you an email wtf.

I'll test it first...on something live.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 12:22am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Free trial > obviously biased marketing review. Count me in for the free soap if you can get it to me in Australia at low cost.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 5:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We ship worldwide. Australia is no problem. I received your email and will get your sample out today.

W. Rabbit.....I don't believe I received your address to ship your sample. Hit me up at defensesoap@msn.com.

Guy
    Defense Soap

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Defense Soap View Post
    We ship worldwide. Australia is no problem. I received your email and will get your sample out today.

W. Rabbit.....I don't believe I received your address to ship your sample. Hit me up at defensesoap@msn.com.

Guy
    Defense Soap
    Is eucalyptus a major component of your soap?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast