Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 11:19am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim,

This website is EXACTLY the place to discuss the merits of fighting systems, we're arguably the largest English speaking martial arts consumer website on the internet.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 11:23am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, jnp said nothing about forum protocols. I am loathe to pull out the dictionary so, I am going to try to explain this in a simple manner.

If you read, saw heard, or watched something where I said I have a Degree and you say BS that is an allegation.

If I say "Yes, I do have a degree this is where it was awarded. Here is my story blah blah blah blah blah" I have directly addressed your allegation.

If you say "prove it," it is the next logical step. Directly addressing an allegation is not the same as proving it wrong or correct for that matter.

If I deem it necessary I would provide transcripts, the convocation date, photos of the graduation, school accreditation, academic counselor, dean's list letter, and scans of the diploma. That's proof. Anything less means absolutely nothing nor have I proven anything.

Follow me?

Addressing something directly, with just words, is not proof. That is what jnp is telling you. You have made numerous statements and when I asked for PROOF you implied twice that your word is good enough. Yes, that is your opinion and you are entitled to feel that way, but it does not constitute proof or negate the act of someone asking you to "prove it."
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/20/2011 11:28am at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 12:30pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thl144 View Post
    JNP I think you are relying a great deal of whats said about me from online sources of which you give lots of credence to yet say at the same time online shouldn't be taken at face value. I'm brand new to this and any forum actually so I apologize if I was supposed to get vetted and submit paperwork. I don't know your protocols here and if that offends you then so be it. My history and background in the biz are listed on my site and proven with real courses and training real people. I'll gladly put my resume and client list against any in the industry. As I stated I dont hide and am easily reachable as I hold seminars throughout the US and Intl and have done so for 20 years plus run a full time instructor facility in San Diego. The fact you dont know about me or what I do isn't my concern just as the fact I know nothing of yours should concern you.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Directly addressing an allegation is not the same as proving it wrong or correct for that matter.
    Mr. Larkin, I apologize for my earlier tone. I'm an old Marine and it's easy for me to resort to being gruff without meaning to be. IIF addressed what I was trying to say to you better than I did. I have highlighted the most relevant point he made in his post as it pertains to the point I was trying (rather poorly) to make.

Official documents, such as a DD214 are credible sources of information. It is rare that a website is.

If it exists, we'd like to see any correction you wrote or sent in the past to one of the organizations that mislabeled you as a SEAL. That way it will be easy to demonstrate to the rest of the world that you performed your due diligence in dispelling these rumors. If you do not have any proof of such corrections, all we have is hearsay. Unfortunately, even if you are the most honorable man in the world, your word is still hearsay without definitive proof.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 7:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TFT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JNP-

Well I just got on the horn with Shawn Phillips and got Random House to take down the testimonials that Rock Ape discovered for the book Strength For Life. Shawn just wrote me and said 2 were down and the 3rd will be removed tomorrow.

If they still have it,I can get the PR company I used in London to show the letter I had them send out to the Sun and other tabloids to correct the inaccurate listings of me as a former SEAL in the tabloids. These articles came out a few years ago and the majority was handled by phone call to editors etc...by my representative. But I will email my guy in London.

I cringe when stuff like that occurs but it is the norm with a good deal of the media I've dealt with outside of Martial Arts or other professional publications. Not only my background but much of what I'm quoted to say is inaccurate.

Your tone is fine JNP I wasn't offended. I get that you guys look at such media reports and can easily come to the conclusion here's a wannabe fooling the public.

I spent my whole active duty career at the highest level of Naval Special Warfare in a support role as an intel officer. I saw many incidents of wannabes representing themselves as SEALS etc... Because that is my background and my career goal of being a SEAL officer was cut short by injury I, more than anyone else, get it.

So you guys can fire away and all I can do is answer you and provide my side. I dont mind accommodating your request for proof if I can get them. If not then it'll remain hearsay to you. To me it is strange because the units I train all know me from my intel background and work as a contractor after active duty. This issue doesn't come up except in random media reports like the ones you folks have listed.

I'm also aware that few here, if any, have read any of my material or seen me live where my story of getting injured and not becoming a SEAL led to my introduction to what became TFT. It is a central theme in my system whereas my personal military and contracting background is minimally covered and of little importance to what is taught.

I don't expect people here to be familiar with my system but it would be more of an indicator of what I'm actually teaching and saying rather than what others have erroneously written.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 10:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim, I had a quick question about TFT striking technique #11. It begins with a kick to the groin or femoral nerve (I believe you mistakenly referred to the saphenous nerve, it's a bit lower than where you were kicking), you walk up the "effected" opponent's left side, then you step over him with your left foot while dropping a knee into his solar plexus and simultaneously chop with the hand to the groin again, then you turn around, rise up, drop and deliver a double palm heel strike with thumbs in the eyes. Why did you choose this pattern of strikes, when it would be much more efficient to simply kick hard to the groin & knock the opponent down, heel-stomp to the groin, pubic bone or femoral nerve, & then when the spinal reaction kicks in, step forward & over and kick straight to the rising chin? Out of all of the coordination sets, this one confused me the most. Thanks.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 12:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TFT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jim_Jude:

I'll re-check the set when I'm back in town re the nerve kick. I know the set though and to answer your question coordination sets are just that. They are disposable methods designed to challenge your coordination and get you to attempt strikes in ways you normally wouldn't necessarily choose to do. They are in no way what we think you would do under a real threat because violence is random and you will use only those strikes you are confident with using.

As you stated for you the more direct method would be the strikes you choose. We assume people have been through either live or a dvd set of the seminar prior to doing these and have basic effectiveness down. Therefore the next goal after effectiveness is to work on your efficiency by improving your coordination.

When I look at coordination sets I categorized the strikes as shown as either:

1) stuff I'd put in the kill box now
    or
    2) stuff that I can see how it works but I need to put in more practice to execute during a free practice session
    or
    3) stuff I look at while shaking my head saying "No F'ing way"!

The funny thing is that the more you work on coordination sets and get more mat time the more stuff that originally was in category 3 moves up to category one.

So your observation for you is correct. The overriding principle in TFT is : Did the last strike you executed to the other guy produce an injury? If you answer yes then you are correct. Rock to the back of the head works great... if you can execute a backflip and then rock to the back of the head it just means you have more coordination.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/21/2011 1:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thl144 View Post
    Jim_Jude:

I'll re-check the set when I'm back in town re the nerve kick. I know the set though and to answer your question coordination sets are just that. They are disposable methods designed to challenge your coordination and get you to attempt strikes in ways you normally wouldn't necessarily choose to do. They are in no way what we think you would do under a real threat because violence is random and you will use only those strikes you are confident with using.

As you stated for you the more direct method would be the strikes you choose. We assume people have been through either live or a dvd set of the seminar prior to doing these and have basic effectiveness down. Therefore the next goal after effectiveness is to work on your efficiency by improving your coordination.

When I look at coordination sets I categorized the strikes as shown as either:

1) stuff I'd put in the kill box now
    or
    2) stuff that I can see how it works but I need to put in more practice to execute during a free practice session
    or
    3) stuff I look at while shaking my head saying "No F'ing way"!

The funny thing is that the more you work on coordination sets and get more mat time the more stuff that originally was in category 3 moves up to category one.

So your observation for you is correct. The overriding principle in TFT is : Did the last strike you executed to the other guy produce an injury? If you answer yes then you are correct. Rock to the back of the head works great... if you can execute a backflip and then rock to the back of the head it just means you have more coordination.
    okay. cool. Perhaps I'll have to go back and re-watch the principles section. but it's sooooo long! & so much about Ron's "effected" groin LOL
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567