Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 3:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim,

My name is Dave, I enlisted in 1983 and not withstanding a break in my military career for seven and a half years where, I served as a Discipline Officer within a maximum security prison, I'm still serving my country as an infantry soldier. I've served in both domestic and foreign theater of operations - most recently in the Middle East.

I've worked alongside US Forces, on the same ground against the same enemy. Anyway. Next time you're in the UK make sure you drop me a line through here and I'll happily travel to hook-up for that beer.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    deleted: not relevant to SEAL questions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 6:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TFT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Dave. I'm in the UK at least 2 times a year. Last week we had a seminar in London but I had my other instructors handle that one. I lost my assistant of 9 years to cancer this last month and needed to be in the US. Appreciate the opportunity to answer questions on this forum.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/18/2011 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr Larkin, I was stationed both in San Diego and Camp Pendleton as a Hospital Corpsman (8404) and had my fair share of SEAL friends and BUDS student friends. I had some friends who ended up teaching at a SAFTA School in Oceanside and while doing some intro classes with them they alluded to connections with you & Jerry Peterson and of SAFTA being something of a next-gen SCARS. Are you familiar with that system or did you have anything to do with its creation?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 1:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, Lew Hicks was trained by Jerry as a SCARS instructor. For the UFC 3 Lew Trained John Hess to fight and wanted to credit SCARS. Jerry told him he couldn't do so and SAFTA was born. After the UFC Lew went on to do a SAFTA school in IB. He and Jerry had a falling out (typical for Jerry) that culminated in an ill advised law suit that was settled. Lew is still around teaching Mil/LEO's and is a good instructor. I always thought it was unfortunate they had the falling out as they were close for many years. I don't believe Lew credits Jerry enough but I understand why.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 3:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thl144 View Post
    Yes, Lew Hicks was trained by Jerry as a SCARS instructor. For the UFC 3 Lew Trained John Hess to fight and wanted to credit SCARS. Jerry told him he couldn't do so and SAFTA was born. After the UFC Lew went on to do a SAFTA school in IB. He and Jerry had a falling out (typical for Jerry) that culminated in an ill advised law suit that was settled. Lew is still around teaching Mil/LEO's and is a good instructor. I always thought it was unfortunate they had the falling out as they were close for many years. I don't believe Lew credits Jerry enough but I understand why.
    so you had no connection with SAFTA's creation? Because these guys (both in BUDS classes in '94 & '95) said that it was what they were doing down in Coronado at the time & they kept dropping names, Hicks, Peterson, and You.
    I'm not trying to promote it, I wasn't terribly impressed with it, both at the school and a party down in PB w/ a bunch of recent BUDS grads, I had a run-in with a couple of them and the night ended badly for them (admittedly we were all drunk & they got me back when I finally passed out). I'm just looking for some facts. I'm familiar enough with the systems to know when someone is trying to use their wrist/forearm as a club, or "the body's lead pipe" if you will, and trying to hurt me with it. Unfortunately the one who actually got some shots in on me hit me twice on the right trapezius and I figure he was too drunk to target either the clavicle or neck properly.
    Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 10/19/2011 3:45am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 9:37pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Tim:

I wrote Steve Robinson and he referred me to the correspondence you had with their chief investigator.

I believe his complaints concerning your language from the New York Seminar were:

Said: "when I went through SEAL training"

did not say: "after I was dropped from SEAL training for medical reasons"

Said: when I was with the teams"

did not say "while I was assigned to the teams in a support capacity"

Reference to a diving accident was made and that you were on an admirals staff. The complaint was that in these tapes you did not clearly state "I was not a SEAL".

Does that accurately summarize your differences with authentiseal which eventually produced this link on the Wall of Shame?

NAME:Larkin, Tim -
    DATE POSTED: 20 DEC 2002
    COMMENTS: Mr. Larkin has made statements in one of his videos and some of his past seminars that left some people with the impression that he may have been a Navy SEAL. Mr. Larkin has informed AuthentiSEAL that he did not intend to leave that impression. Mr. Larkin has taken steps on his web site to clarify this issue.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2011 10:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was the event The steps taken were to point out the bio that was always on the site. The person that brought the complaint was a competitor who is not around anymore. Its a weak assertion and if that's the best shot someone can come up with in 20 years then I'm doing OK.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 4:08am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim,

With regard to the various interviews, media publications and internet content you state to have no control over, I find it hypocritical of you to say there has been "sloppy" reporting or assumptions made from other people regarding your actual involvement within the SEALs yet, you say that its a weak assertion from someone looking to correct exactly those sorts of misleading comments when, they were made by you yourself.

From my perspective I see you benefiting from this sort of misinformation, let's be fair, it would be far easier for you to allude to being in the teams than explain the specifics of how you found yourself unable to continue with the training and, as with the business you’re in, the better the image the better the custom, am I right ?

When I googled your name and TFT/SCARS the amount of webpages which suggest/allude you were a SEAL probably number around the same (if not slightly less) as those which carry information drawn from your bio. As a reasonable man I have to wonder how the former assumption must have been made.

Of course one explanation is that people will assume however, that assumption must be based, if only in part, on information you originally released and, if that information wasn't particularly clear or indeed was actually erroneous regarding your time within SEAL training, it's fairly easy to understand how those incorrect assumptions would have been made.

Again, the comments within Sam Browning's post namely...

Mr. Larkin has made statements in one of his videos and some of his past seminars that left some people with the impression that he may have been a Navy SEAL.
    ...aren't any different to the supposed "sloppy" reporting within the British media which I posted earlier in this thread.

Earlier in this thread you stated that you were...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Larkin
    clear and proud of my service in Spec War Intel
    ...yet why is that service never mentioned in the vast majority of the websites which discuss the subject of Tim Larkin and TFT ? Might I suggest that service within the intel community isn't as 'glamorous' as that of the image of a SEAL team operator or, perhaps more to the point, doesn't create the right image of the supposed "go too guy" for expert hand to hand combatives?

I'd suggest that much of the information about you has been released by you in one form or another, I just don’t see any other reasonable explanation because, the supposed misinformation is too consistent and too numerous.

I fully accept however, that your own website carries information which states your were not a SEAL team member, but that doesn't really explain the fairly wide-spread misunderstanding of your status within the SEAL teams and with whom that misinformation originated.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 10/20/2011 4:29am at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2011 9:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen all I can do is be consistent with what I say in my seminars. My story about TFT and how I got my start hinges on my ear injury and not becoming a SEAL. I educate clients about the effects of injury to the human body. I've written in my blogs and newsletters about injury preventing me from becoming a SEAL. I've always focused on what I achieved after military service.

I couldn't work with the local, federal and military units I have worked with over the last 20 years if I was going around doing so. With all the people I've presented to and come in contact with there would be no way I could operate if I went around doing what you are claiming.

I am proud of my Spec War Intel service, I spent my active duty time doing extremely interesting work that is never mentioned in any bio, solely in the Intel world. I also actually spent my career in support of Spec War and count among my friends many SEAL and other Spec Ops personnel.

The assertion is weak because of where it came from originally. If a client prefers to go with my company instead of someone else that person, instead of improving their product, can do the much easier effort of getting on a keyboard and flame away anonymously. It's part of the business and I accept that and ignore it.

I'm not sure how I benefit from such reports most of which paint me as a crazed vigilante teaching killing merely because I had the crazy idea in the UK that people facing grievous bodily harm should be able to protect themselves.

The focus in those articles was to deter any sane person from attending my training or buying my products. It certainly deterred people from attending seminars in the UK especially with some of the protests. The venues I used in parts of the UK cancelled my lease for the seminars due to those stories.

As for my bio and being the "go to guy" etc... It certainly isnt my active duty service I point to but who I've worked with and trained in the last 20 years. The fact that I'm not a former operator yet am able to attract many operators to attend my training speaks to the value of the training.

I'm not a guru like many in my biz. I educate people about violence with no accessories like "a glamorous image". I focus on giving people usable information not hero worshiping me or any of the instructor staff. So my resume is who I've trained not my military career. My clients and other professionals in the biz know that is my focus. I don't do the bad ass ex-spec ops bio because I'm not that guy and my system doesn't support an instructor focus but focuses on client results.

So Dave I accept you will keep you opinion and that we can agree to disagree. That is what makes a good forum.
    Last edited by thl144; 10/20/2011 9:09am at .
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast