Posted On:
    3/19/2011 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tim Larkin and the SEALS?

Hi.

I am an Apprentice Instructor In Paul Vunak's Progressive Fighting Systems. As you may know Paul has taught his system to many government organizations, including the Navy SEALS. You can see some of his letters of appreciation here.

http://fighting.net/main.php?page=commendations

Today I saw someone promoting this guy Tim Larkin.

http://www.targetfocustraining.com/

I checked out his site and found that in addition to the regular outrageous RBSD marketing, he claims to have taught the navy SEALS.

This irritated me quite a bit, as I am suspicious he is just another professional liar.

Can anybody help me get some direction on how to prove (or more likely disprove) these claims made by Mr Larkin?

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 12:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I don't think anything in those threads specifically addresses his claims of teaching the SEALS. The first thread discusses whether or not Larkin was a SEAL himself, and confirms that he was not a SEAL.

I am hoping for evidence regarding his alleged (and likely imagined) instruction of the SEALS. Although an old link to Larkin claiming to actually be a SEAL would probably be just as good. It is pretty clear that he is not(any longer at least) claiming to have actually been a SEAL.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 2:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point of those threads is that he is very questionable.
    For nearly 20 years TFT founder and creator, Tim Larkin, has been well known in the self defense & close-combat training world but ‘under-the-radar’ to ordinary folks like you. He’s the guy operations like the US Navy SEALs, Army Special Forces and the US Border Patrol call in behind-the-scenes to teach them when it’s “kill-or-be-killed.”
    You "call in" who you can afford for a seminar. Notice, nowhere does he claim I am a certified civilian contractor for the SEALS or Special Forces.

During the last 20 years he’s trained not only these elite military special forces and law enforcement units but corporate and civilian clientele in New York, Las Vegas, London and other cities around the world using a combination of live training sessions and DVDs.
    This is an area called semantics and Rhetoric. Tell me exactly why this is unbelievable? Replace "sessions" with "seminars" and "DVDs" with "long distance learning" it sound plausible.

IMO it is marketing fluff that many other "masters" try to use as bait.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 6:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WW2 stuff, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything you need to know about Larkin: http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=4...ght=tim+larkin

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 5:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKDC and Kali Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have trained with Tim several times and can attest to his background. He was in SEAL selection training himself til he blew out an eardrum on a dive. Rather then Leave the program totally he was chosen to help develop the hand to hand system for the special ops community. That is where he and Jerry Peterson worked together. The system has been taught to SEALS as well as other special operations groups. He is a nice guy with a good company so feel free to reach out to him directly with any questions. Or make an appointment to visit the HQ in San Diego.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any way I could watch one of his classes? I'm in San Diego.

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 5:27pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu_Uga View Post
    I have trained with Tim several times and can attest to his background. He was in SEAL selection training himself til he blew out an eardrum on a dive. Rather then Leave the program totally he was chosen to help develop the hand to hand system for the special ops community. That is where he and Jerry Peterson worked together. The system has been taught to SEALS as well as other special operations groups. He is a nice guy with a good company so feel free to reach out to him directly with any questions. Or make an appointment to visit the HQ in San Diego.
    You have proof of this or is this just what Tim told you?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 5:32pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu_Uga View Post
    Yes, we know this has been brought up in multiple threads.

Proof or quit rehashing old things that can't be proven.

Oops my bad semantics. I didn't catch the new spin. He isn't a seal he was IN TRAINING. Bwahahahahahaa.

Oh and guess what? Kung fu, MMA, BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Various Styles of Karate, Ninjitsu and damn near ANY Martial art you can name has been taught to the SEALS.

Being a SEAL means something special. What style a pitchman tells you was taught to a SEAL doesn't mean ****.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/02/2011 5:43pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/02/2011 9:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Oops my bad semantics. I didn't catch the new spin. He isn't a seal he was IN TRAINING. Bwahahahahahaa.
    Actually, that's not a new claim of his. It's at least 6 years old according to my few moments of Google-Fu.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast