Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 5:50pm

Style: BJJ, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jonathan Stamey: MMA instructor and video boxer

Hi to all on Bullshido. This is my first post to this site, but I have been lurking for quite a while. I have never felt the need to post, or interject my opinion because someone else more qualified has always covered my thoughts in a more convincing manner. This keeps me from getting reamed, and also keeps redundant post off of the interwebs. This has changed due to the fact that I have found something strange in my back yard.

But first, I need to introduce myself. I am a 31 year old bjj blue belt in Hickory NC. Bjj is a hobby for me. I train two to three nights a week under Roger Carroll (he is a Pro fighter, who is belted under Joe Hurst out of Concord NC) here in Hickory.

Sherdog link - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Roger-Carroll-29226

I have been training for about 3 years now. I have no allusions of how good I am, but I enjoy the process of learning bjj so much that it pushes to continue. It also provides an outlet for stress and built up physical energy. Since I am is sales, and do not do much physical during the day I need the outlet that it provides. I will answer any further questions about myself should they arise, and need clarification.

This thread began with a search on the Googles. Since Hickory is not a huge place, and the training population in mma and bjj are quite small, I know most of the people who partake on a regular basis. There are only two active gyms here in town now, one being SMA (where I train), and the other is Guerrilla Tactics MMA (where I have quite a few friends). Upon googling "hickory nc bjj" out of boredom , I found a new "gym" run by Jonathan Stamey. I, nor any one of my training partners have ever heard of this gym or Mr. Stamey. This is very odd because, as I said, Hickory is not a big place. The "gym" is called Atlantic MMA, and seems to operate out of an aerobics room at a real gym called The Spa. This is about a mile from my house, and i know from experience that they do not have the room to shove a full mma training center, much less proper matting in there. His web site confirmed my suspicion, and scared me all at the same time.
    Web site to follow: http://www.atlanticmma.com/

Per his video introduction he is offering instruction in self defense, competitive mma, and law enforcement ranging from striking to grappling. Stranger still his web site seems to focus on selling his e-book and two dvds: The Fighter's Diet, FAST HANDS: Boxing Strikes for MMA, and FAST FEET: Boxing Footwork for MMA. To top it off he mentions none of his qualifications to teach or instruct on any of these subjects. He also has a download called The Boxing Bible for MMA: Everything you Need to Know to Box Successfully in the Cage. That is a very bold claim and title for someone who I can find no training back ground on. This continues with Fast Hands, woops I mean, FAST HANDS dvd description:

"Why you should buy the Fast Hands DVD
    You're getting all my "AH-HAH" moments about punching from over 1200 hours of trial & error. I had to figure it out mostly on my own, but you won't have to!

Now I'm not saying you couldn't figure it out yourself or with the help of a "good" coach. It's certainly possible for you to get to my level of boxing over the course of time with some hard work and lots of analysis (I mean I'm no pro), but why take the tedious route and risk getting lost when I'm handing out directions!

I promise you no single seminar could accelerate your skills as quickly as this DVD...and it would cost a year's worth of classes or hundreds of dollars in privates to get the instruction I'm providing here for a mere fraction of the cost.

I've organized the information in a way that it will systemize your striking, so there's no guessing and it will be easy to learn.

FAST HANDS represents my knowledge and practical experience from 4 and a half years of training, $1000's of dollars spent on classes, coaches, and instructional material, packaged together all for only $27.

Now I don't think $27 is a lot for how much the information inside will improve your punching, but that's just me...education has always been priceless in my mind.

So if you truly can't afford it (trust me I know the feeling) and still really want it--I don't want to be the one standing in your way. Just shoot over an email with your story and an amount you can afford, and I'm sure we can work something out."

I have found no fight record for this guy, or anything else that leads me to believe he is legit boxer. Everything out there seems to be geared towards pushing his wares. His co-instructor Morgan Blanton does not show up at all on anything other than Atlantic MMA. As best I can tell he is a Krav Maga instructor and fitness trainer at the gym where they film this stuff (local hearsay). And yes, they put the Krav in the MMA training so your know its good.
    I will leave the videos on this site to those who are more versed than I, but personaly, I found them lacking in many areas.

The Atlantic MMA site led me to their youtube page as well. This really got my hackles up (as a grappler) as he tries to explain how to preform complex grappling moves on a dummy that looks like the gimp from Pulp Fiction. I should think he has at least one friend or at least his mom to help him demonstrate this stuff. No video has a hint of being alive. He also shows a 17 hit ultimate combo at one point in a video. But as I said I will leave the videos up to others for better analysis.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/AtlanticMMA

I do not know this guy, nor am I out to get him, but I do not think it it right to sell material to people when you are not proficient in it. He makes no claims as to skill level nor does he seem to have any verifiable qualifications, but yet is willing to sell you material that he says will make you a better fighter. That does not make sense. He is also willing to train someone to defend themselves in the street or in the cage if you show up at his place and pay for his time. He claims he is writing a beginers mma blog on his myspace, but yet he still going to take money from the beginners who he says he is trying to help. As I said I can find no fighting record for this guy, boxing or mma. I just do not think it is correct for people to give money to this man for his knowledge.

I am not even going to bring up the podcast on his site as I do not think they matter in this, but they are there for those who want to listen.

Please look into this. Also I have brought extra lube for myself just in case.
    Links: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanstamey
    http://www.myspace.com/jonathanstamey
    http://www.facebook.com/JonathanStamey

Pro boxing link? http://www.workingclasscardioworkout...nathan-stamey/
    Boxing for MMA: http://www.180mma.com/training/mma/5...-for-mma-style

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 11:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to keep the information in one place:
    He seems to have teamed up with a purple belt (bjj) in the area. The purple belt is legit, and he used to run a small class out of the same fitness center I mentioned above.http://www.carterjiu-jitsu.com/index.html

Stamey seems to have the ability to attach himself to people who have mat time and try to nutride his way to cash. He has tried to do this to Anthony Huss who was a mma instructor in the area, but Mr Huss turned him down. I posted this so it will show up when people are looking for his information.

On another note, If I have jumped ahead of myself posting in mabs any feedback is well received. I would be happy for any and all advice.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 5:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a thought - but have you emailed Mr. Stamey (or dropped round his gym), expressing an interest in his teaching and asked him about his training/lineage/fight record/etc. yet?

I believe that there are still legit individuals, even in this day and age who don't show up in online databases for various reasons (sometimes as banal as a typo in the surname).

I will say that the marketing talk for his DVD, and the way he's presented it on the web makes it look/sound a little goofy to me.

I'm not in any position to comment on his skills, as demonstrated in the videos, unfortunately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not approached him directly. I have spoken with all the people that I know who train in the area. If he was skilled the odds are that he would have sparred some of the fighters at one point in time or another or trained with the coaches. No one knew of him or his school except for Mr. Huss. In the story he related to me, Stamey has has a few classes with an actual boxing coach. He then wanted to begin his own boxing club, but shifted to mma as it was more popular. He then tried to unsuccessfully enlist Mr. Huss to be his coach (funny thing is Huss owns his own gym). This is hearsay but it still fits the pattern i have been watching with this guy. The result seems to be his website, and dvds.

I have rolled with the purple belt at the same gym where he is supposed to have his training center. I heard there was a class so I showed up to check it out. It is in a hard wood floored aerobics room where they have some puzzle mat that they toss down before class. It was all very new white belts in his class. He was a nice guy and comes from Joe Hurst in Concord as I was told. This was before Stamey teamed up though.

I have no problem asking questions of him, but since I do not think he is kosher I am waiting to get all of my facts straight. When I ask I want to be able to pin him down off the bat. But if I am wrong, I will be respectful and apologize (and buy the dvds). Thank you for the advice.

I look forward to being a part of the community.
    Last edited by 30andCrappling; 4/01/2011 6:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2011 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sorry for this bump, but I am putting all of my information in one place so it comes up when people search for this.

Sherdog Post by AtlanticMMA.com (User Name on their forums.)
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/fi...-diet-1438435/

[URL="http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/common-bjj-rookie-mistake-894817/"]http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/common-bjj-rookie-mistake-894817/[/URL

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/ed...ckdown-900699/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/bo...e-mma-1266127/

He seems to be trying to sell his stuff over on their forums while posing as a a forum member. Same crap marketing to lure in people who don ot know better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sorry for this bump. If I could have edited this information in I would have preferred to do so. Here are links to his banned Sherdog account where he tried to sell his goods on their forum. This is the same type on all hype no training that he uses to try to sell his stuff and his web site.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/co...istake-894817/
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/bo...e-mma-1266127/
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/ed...ckdown-900699/
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/fi...-diet-1438435/

Everything he posts is a trap to move you to his website. If you search his user name AtlanticMMA.com on Sherdog you will get a full list of this mess. Most of it is in the guise of advice, which really stinks.

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 12:28am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you considered attending one of his classes and writing a review of the class?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2011 1:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I can tell from his site classes are by appointment only and run a cool ten bucks. If they had a regular class I would have already been there, as I have been going to different gyms other than my home gym at least one day a week. I have been trying to find different opponents to work on weaknesses I feel I have in my skill set. I also like to build a bridge with others that share a similar interest to me. I also try to stay on top of the different classes offered in my area. He has been rolling with the class of the Joe Hurst purple belt (recently brown) mentioned above, but when I have rolled with them he has not attended. I gathered this fact by luck. I overheard people talking about it while I was visiting their school. I am hoping to run across him soon and see how he comports himsef. As far as I have gathered he no longer works at the Spa (gym where he said Atlantic MMA is located), but is a life guard at the local YMCA.

I also keep hearing rumors around town about other things but they are not worth repeating at this point in time. If I can verify them then i will write them up.

The following link is also relavant since his "gym" (Atalantic MMA) shows up first on Google searches for "Hickory NC MMA" or "Hickory NC bjj".
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106183
    Here a guy is looking for a place to train and could get derailed into Stamey's bullshit, when there are legitimate gyms in the area that are in need of new students and have auctual expertise to offer students. At least this guy has the good sense to ask for some advice.

Just found this as well. He has wormed his way into bjj dvd's as well.
    http://store.atlanticmma.com/collect...-for-beginners
    Last edited by 30andCrappling; 5/08/2011 1:54am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 12:44pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you say Jonathan Stamey is a Krav Maga instructor as well? Ask him what organization has certified him. I can tell you that Atlantic MMA is not certified through Krav Maga Worldwide, International Krav Maga Federation, Israeli Krav Maga Association or Krav Maga Federation.

If he got certified in Krav through Commando Krav Maga, just laugh in his face.

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's been a lot written so I'll do my best to address everything as I make my way through it.

Atlantic MMA is my company and website's name and yes we use to run classes out of The Spa Athletic club for I believe almost 2 years up until about March of 2010. So if anyone has had trouble finding me since then it's because we haven't been in operation (other than having a group of guys that met every week to train at a friends) for quite some time.

I started the company because boxing and mixed martial arts had always been an interest of mine and what better way to try and make a living than doing something that you enjoy.

At the time of the company's inception I didn't feel I had the experience to be teaching on any level, although I had been boxing for roughly 2 years. So I hired a local guy named Morgan Blanton who I'd seen teaching classes at the ymca to run the classes for me. My decision to have him instruct was based on how he presented himself, his proficiency as a fighter (based off what I knew of the sport at that time), and also my lack of knowing anyone else to choose from. Morgan was pretty well versed in jiu jitsu and muay thai, but his background was mostly in judo and krav maga (so that's why the krav name was used in the promo video--perhaps mistakenly since we were not teaching straight krav nor was he a certified krav instructor, i dont think)

I did speak with Anthony Huss about teaching the classes, whom I'd had somewhat of a friendship with, and who has all the qualifications that you could ever want as an instructor...and he tentatively agreed to partner up with me but turned out to be unreliable in returning phone calls and getting together to organize classes. Whether that was his way of turning me down or a legitimate character trait I have no idea, but I decided to go with Morgan because of my aforementioned reasons and the fact that Anthony Huss had a pending sexual assault charge against him (which he has since been convicted of...and no i don't know if he did it or not thats just what happened) which I thought wouldn't be such a good idea if we were going to work with kids.

So from there we proceeded to run several classes out of the spa which all kind of just morphed into one MMA/jiu-jitsu/self defense class. We didn't have many students, and yes the mats were terrible, and yes it wasnt the optimal situation to be in, and no the instruction wasn't top top notch, but i think it was a good experience and many of those that attended had something good to say about their time there, and im sure many had negative reviews as well...but I imagine that's all part of the process.

We ended our time there because the spa decided they wanted rent paid per hour instead of the revenue share model we had in place...so it no longer made sense to be there because we simply didn't make enough money to pay. Classes ended, we moved to training in a friends garage for a time, and have since not been in operation for almost a year.

I'm reopening the Atlantic MMA Gym on August 1st, 2011 in a 1700 sq foot space at 1012 3rd Ave NW Hickory, NC 28601, but more on that in a minute.

Now to me, since the gentleman who started this thread has made sure this would pop up on google under my name...I feel as though I should address his concerns and at least while certainly unhappy reading this thread can understand how one would have the objections he has and appreciate the manner in which he wrote it, because it's really not as bad as most forum bashing you see a majority of the time.

So no, if you are looking for certifications and a gawdy fight record to prove I can teach you something about fighting, god knows I am certainly the wrong person to come to. I have been training boxing for almost 6 years now, and no gi grappling for almost 4. I only have one amatuer boxing match (which i lost 11 to 7--amatuer boxing is judged by clean blows landed) in October of 2010 and I am not belted by any bjj black belt nor am I a certified USA Boxing Coach.

So why should anyone listen to anything I have to say?

This isn't the sales copy for one of my dvds or ebooks so I can honestly say I'm not sure...that would depend on what you think.

There are plenty of instructional videos to look at on youtube, and now that the gym is opening again you can come by and take a class to see for yourself. No, I'm not the best fighter in the world, but I'm not bad, and I'm not the best instructor in the world either, but I think I've found a way to express the knowledge that I do know to people in an easily digestible way.

Yes, I am most certainly trying to make a living from my business. The gentlemen who started this thread seems to frown upon that...and maybe he's right, maybe I don't have the qualifications to be doing what I'm doing, but I've found that MOST people...not everyone, but most people know less than me about boxing. So that makes the information I can provide valuable to them. Many people have had lots of positive things to say about my instruction, and there are a few that disapprove. But that's ok, I realize that everyone isn't going to like me, or find my instruction valuable.

I think I would even urge those of you who want to train more seriously to go to the other gyms in the area...I always told anyone who wanted to fight to go see Anthony. I don't know much about Guerilla Tactics, but I hear their instructor is a fantastic grappler and I don't personally know the Carrolls, but know they are fighters and have done well for themselves. Good for all of them.

I started this business to do something I enjoy, impart what I do know to others, and to attempt to make a living at it. Up until now, I've only enjoyed a part time income from it, and yes I currently still lifeguard part time at the hickory foundation ymca.

If I'm fighting for some type of legitimacy because of my position in google, it's not because I'm the best fighter or trainer or gym owner, the only reason Im found more online than others in Hickory is just because I'm a decent Online Marketer and I've had some success with Search Engine Optimization.

The fact that I'm found more than others helps my business, but doesnt mean that I'm any better of an instructor or fighter or gym so you shouldn't think that.

And any type of "hype" or "bold language" you see online is meant to get the information read to sell my products all over the world. It's not meant to trick and persuade people in the small town of Hickory, NC to buy my products. I'll give anyone in Hickory my products for free, that's not what I'm trying to do. All that is is sales copy...no I don't talk like that, and I much more modest in person or in conversation, but modesty doesn't sell products and I won't apologize for trying to make a living based on knowledge I have. There's a guarantee anyways, so if people don't like what Im teaching they get their money back.

As for being a "legit boxer"...I trained for a couple years without much sparring, teaching myself a majority of what I know from every instructional book and dvd I could find, but I found that I wasnt as good as I thought I was when I started sparring hard.

The only people ive sparred in the area are people who have come to class, and I did spar once at ultimate athletics in granite falls with a couple guys, but other than that the reason why i havent been here is because i had been driving to train in Charlotte with Krishna Wainright and Tony Douglas...Krishna is searchable, and didn't enjoy a very successful pro boxing career but was a bronze medalist at the world championships in the 80's as an amateur. Anyways, they took me to spar mostly at the Charlotte Boxing Academy.

Which was a rude awakening at first but I earned my respect and began to hold my own. If you asked those at the academy like the head of USA Boxing for NC Al Simpson, or my own coaches (feel free to facebook them and ask) they'd probably tell you the same thing I'd tell you...I've got some talent, but I'm still pretty green in terms of ring experience. The goal is to make a living with my business SO I can train full time to attempt a fight career.

I've been beat up, and knocked down by experienced amateurs to light heavyweight pro's...so if you want to come by and spar to see if I'm any good, I welcome it, because I need the practice anyways.

If we're talking about my experience with grappling then sure I'd love to roll with you too, but i'm not black belt nor do I pretend to be. Which is why I teamed up with Jeff Carter for the filming of a bjj basics dvd, because I wouldnt feel comfortable selling a bjj dvd taught by me...i don't call that leeching onto people, it was just a conscious business decision.

Ill teach white belt level grappling as a satellite school of jeff's, but I would certainly direct anyone with more experience to jeff or another school. I'm not belted, having not trained under anyone specific that has the authority to hand out belts for any significant time frame, but with the almost 4 years of experience I could comfortably say I'm a good blue belt grappler.

I hope I've cleared up as much of his concerns as I can. The new gym is located at 1012 3rd Ave NW Hickory, NC...It'll have an Atlantic MMA logo up in the window. Classes begin August 1st. There will be kids boxing and grappling, adult boxing and grappling, an MMA class, a women's self defense, and a strength training class in the mornings monday through thursday.

And yes, initially I will be teaching all of them. So if you're reading this then I don't know how thrilled you will be about that, but it couldn't hurt to try me out. Even if you find my instruction less than stellar, perhaps the drilling, training partners, and nice zebra mats will be enough. Plus it'll be cheap, $35/a mo for one class and $75/mo for every class, so perhaps like the gentleman suggests you'll be getting what you pay for :) (hopefully that's a joke).

And if you absolutely think I suck there's a $20/mo open gym/mat that you can do and just take advantage of the mat time, you don't even have to listen to me at all. Look I'm not a bad guy, I don't pretend to be anything I'm not, and I hope the gentleman who wrote this post can see that by the way I've expressed myself in this forum. I really do think most people will get something from my boxing instruction, my strength training and diet regiment, and beginner jiu jitsu instruction...you know other than that you can completely dismiss anything i have to say because there's not much else i have to offer, but maybe that's enough for some people.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to call the gym 828 855 9151, my mobile 252 412 3847, or email me at jstamey@atlanticmma.com

and to 30andCrappling...i understand you're looking out for people in the area so i can appreciate that, i'm not entirely happy with the way you went about it, but i guess i was difficult to find (although there is a contact form on the site). I hope this appeases you but if not go **** yourself (just kidding--that's for your pulp fiction gimp joke, which was actually pretty funny)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast