Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 9:03am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uchi Mata by Hitoshi Sugai

I received my copy of this book a week ago. I spent $70 USD for it and by far it's the most expensive book I have ever purchased for myself. For those who do Judo or have an interest in uchi mata I would strongly suggest purchasing this book for two reasons.

• This is the most comprehensive book I have seen on a single throw and well worth having as a reference point. The other masterclass books are good. I haven't seen them all but for as good as the other masterclass books are this one takes it a notch higher when it comes to detail and history. I would never suggest buying a book to learn a technique but this is a fantastic reference guide. Unbelievably it has already helped my uchi mata.
    • This book is out of print so if you have a remote interest in collecting anything this book is going to go up in value over the next ten years. I paid $70 for it brand new two weeks ago. On amazon.com there are only six used and the lowest price (apparently) is $118.84 USD.

I've been obsessed with uchi mata because that throw is difficult for me to do correctly. Sure, I can throw people with a throw that looks like uchi mata but there are things about it that are off. I feel that if I can do uchi mata properly my Judo will greatly improve.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 12:30pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't look hard enough, I'm afraid. There are a few places with it in stock, based on google. And you can get uchi mata as part of the complete masterclass set. I forget where I bought mine about 6 months back. But yes, it's fantastic book. The entire series is fantastic.

But you really need to find an instructor who is good at uchi mata -- and the different kinds of uchi mata.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 12:35pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [double post]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    You didn't look hard enough, I'm afraid. There are a few places with it in stock, based on google. And you can get uchi mata as part of the complete masterclass set. I forget where I bought mine about 6 months back. But yes, it's fantastic book. The entire series is fantastic.

But you really need to find an instructor who is good at uchi mata -- and the different kinds of uchi mata.
    Yeah, Mas pointed out to me in a PM that I could have purchased the book for much less. Regardless, the book is out of print and it's my understanding Ippon books won't be making more copies. It'll be worth $70 one day, right? LOL.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 7:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mate you should have said, I could have got you it for $19.50. Isn't Ippon books owned by Kodansha which has gone bust?

Might buy a bunch if they are.

Good book though, definitely a great resource on Uchi mata. If it were made into a dvd that would be amazing.