Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 8:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting good at an effective martial art is hard, can cause injuries, requires you to be in shape.

Many people want the illusion rather than the reality and that's why McDojo's exist

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 5:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Per Wikipedia I stand corrected.

Budō is a compound of the root bu (:ぶ), meaning war or martial; and (:どう), meaning path or way. Specifically, is derived from the Buddhist Sanskrit mārga (meaning the "path" to enlightenment).[1] The term refers to the idea of formulating propositions, subjecting them to philosophical critique and then following a 'path' to realize them.[2] signifies a "way of life". in the Japanese context, is an experiential term, experiential in the sense that practice (the way of life) is the norm to verify the validity of the discipline cultivated through a given art form. The modern budō has no external enemy, only the internal enemy, one's ego that must be fought[3] (state of Muga-mushin). Similarly to budō, bujutsu is a compound of the roots bu (武), and jutsu (術:じゅつ), meaning science, craft, or art.[citation needed] Thus, budō is most often translated as "the way of war", or "martial way", while bujutsu is translated as "science of war" or "martial craft." However, both budō and bujutsu are used interchangeably in English with the term "martial arts". Budo and bujutsu have quite a delicate difference; whereas bujutsu only gives attention to the physical part of fighting (how to best defeat an enemy), budo also gives attention to the mind and how one should develop oneself. Modern budo uses aspects of the lifestyle of the samurai of feudal Japan and translates them to self-development in modern life.

obviously a common error.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 5:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    4/02/2011 4:48pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyflexx View Post
    Per Wikipedia I stand corrected.

Budō is a compound of the root bu (:ぶ), meaning war or martial; and (:どう), meaning path or way. Specifically, is derived from the Buddhist Sanskrit mārga (meaning the "path" to enlightenment).[1] The term refers to the idea of formulating propositions, subjecting them to philosophical critique and then following a 'path' to realize them.[2] signifies a "way of life". in the Japanese context, is an experiential term, experiential in the sense that practice (the way of life) is the norm to verify the validity of the discipline cultivated through a given art form. The modern budō has no external enemy, only the internal enemy, one's ego that must be fought[3] (state of Muga-mushin). Similarly to budō, bujutsu is a compound of the roots bu (武), and jutsu (術:じゅつ), meaning science, craft, or art.[citation needed] Thus, budō is most often translated as "the way of war", or "martial way", while bujutsu is translated as "science of war" or "martial craft." However, both budō and bujutsu are used interchangeably in English with the term "martial arts". Budo and bujutsu have quite a delicate difference; whereas bujutsu only gives attention to the physical part of fighting (how to best defeat an enemy), budo also gives attention to the mind and how one should develop oneself. Modern budo uses aspects of the lifestyle of the samurai of feudal Japan and translates them to self-development in modern life.

obviously a common error.
    Congrats.You are among the great unwashed and illiterate, trying to argu with folks who actually know what they are talking about. A humbling experience.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/02/2011 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AAARGH where did my post go?

Ok I will bullet point it:

o The word for Martial Arts in Japan isn't BUDO or BUJUTSU its BUGEI. I can go into the difference in meaning of each but don't want to.

o The idea that training is more hardcore elsewhere is wrong. I have literally trained around the world and the training is pretty much the same all around in that those who do hardcore training are ones that were hardcore in the first place. You have lax hobbyist everywhere. You will also find charlatans everywhere too.

o Martial Arts were ALWAYS commercialized. People always taught for profit and made themselves sound better to land good gigs. How do you get to be a lord's sword instructor? You make yourself sound like the biggest badass of the land. The idea that MA went down hill because people started teaching for money is retarded.

o Anyone who doesn't have a need to kill people on a regular basis should not concern themselves with what is or is not lethal. Most Martial Artist, then and now, did not take a life on a regular basis. Soldiers did.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    Congrats.You are among the great unwashed and illiterate, trying to argu with folks who actually know what they are talking about. A humbling experience.
    The illiterate do tend to argu a lot...

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 2:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 7:35am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    AAARGH where did my post go?

Ok I will bullet point it:

o The word for Martial Arts in Japan isn't BUDO or BUJUTSU its BUGEI. I can go into the difference in meaning of each but don't want to.

o The idea that training is more hardcore elsewhere is wrong. I have literally trained around the world and the training is pretty much the same all around in that those who do hardcore training are ones that were hardcore in the first place. You have lax hobbyist everywhere. You will also find charlatans everywhere too.

o Martial Arts were ALWAYS commercialized. People always taught for profit and made themselves sound better to land good gigs. How do you get to be a lord's sword instructor? You make yourself sound like the biggest badass of the land. The idea that MA went down hill because people started teaching for money is retarded.

o Anyone who doesn't have a need to kill people on a regular basis should not concern themselves with what is or is not lethal. Most Martial Artist, then and now, did not take a life on a regular basis. Soldiers did.
    If I were wearing a hat right now, I'd tip it for your post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 1:40pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I'm sorry, I'm gonna backtrack a bit here.

But how the **** do you keep training in a dojo after this:
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    she'd have you test and you'd automatically fail even if you did everything perfectly
    And this:
    she held a tournament to fund her going to beauty school and she set up a nail salon in the dojo. Yeah, tough as nails, I know.
    *Emphasis mine

If I followed through on the thread correctly you've moved on to Judo and/or Kyokushin, if this is true, good for you and don't look back. If not, then well, what the **** are you waiting for?
    Last edited by Gidi; 4/04/2011 1:41pm at . Reason: adding a point

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 9:16am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    Ok, I'm sorry, I'm gonna backtrack a bit here.

But how the **** do you keep training in a dojo after this:

And this:

*Emphasis mine

If I followed through on the thread correctly you've moved on to Judo and/or Kyokushin, if this is true, good for you and don't look back. If not, then well, what the **** are you waiting for?
    I would, if it were totally up to me. My dad doesn't wish to pull me out, because I've been training in it for almost 5 yrs. and am close to shodan. I'll be turning 18 in September anyway, I have a part-time job and I'll have my license before that time.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast