Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 8:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyflexx View Post
    Before the commercialization of MA, rather it be for monetary profit or competition, MA were developed solely for functionality. In that time, which was far before you or I were even near being born or bred, they were BUDO styles, meaning one strike to dissolve an attack. If you could take out 20 opponents with 20 moves that is by definition "LETHAL." The styles of today are effective but they lack efficiency.
    Bujutsu was about lethality, Budo was about spiritual perfection. You clearly do not know what you're talking about.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:26am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Of course, you could be ignorant but sincere as well.
    I think it is this because, he has some over the top beliefs in other threads that sound like typical McDojo history.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:45am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyflexx View Post
    Before the commercialization of MA, rather it be for monetary profit or competition, MA were developed solely for functionality. In that time, which was far before you or I were even near being born or bred, they were BUDO styles, meaning one strike to dissolve an attack. If you could take out 20 opponents with 20 moves that is by definition "LETHAL." The styles of today are effective but they lack efficiency.
    I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

PsssT.....le·thal definition
    Pronunciation: /ˈlē-thəl/
    Function: adj
    : of, relating to, or causing death lethal injury>
    also : capable of causing death < lethal chemicals> lethal dose>
    le·thal·i·ty Pronunciation: /lē-ˈthal-ət-ē/
    Function: n
    pl -ties ; le·thal·ly Function: adv

Can you please enlighten us plebes as to what form or style of BUDO was capable of killing 20 opponents with 20 moves and in 500 words or less inform us how this deadly art has morphed into the Mcdojo of today?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

PsssT.....le·thal definition
    Pronunciation: /ˈlē-thəl/
    Function: adj
    : of, relating to, or causing death lethal injury>
    also : capable of causing death < lethal chemicals> lethal dose>
    le·thal·i·ty Pronunciation: /lē-ˈthal-ət-ē/
    Function: n
    pl -ties ; le·thal·ly Function: adv

Can you please enlighten us plebes as to what form or style of BUDO was capable of killing 20 opponents with 20 moves and in 500 words or less inform us how this deadly art has morphed into the Mcdojo of today?
    Shotgun-jitsu

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 9:52am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Shotgun-jitsu
    Pretty sure that would qualify as a Bujutsu art, not budo. It's not all gone mcdojo though, as can be seen in this training video

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alliance...%20a%20shotgun

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    Pretty sure that would qualify as a Bujutsu art, not budo.
    Dunno...I sometimes feel pretty spiritual about my ten-gauge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 1:22am

Style: Okinawan Go Ju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly think it's all about competition nowadays. Not all, but some dojos will teach you a set a moves that are LEGAL in competion. Until high ranking karateka step in the ring you rarely ever see anything in the ring besides a normal straight punch or a round house kick. If you go into a more "street" training dojo you'l be getting disqualified for breaking peoples arms. BJJ can break alot bones, it's just you tap out before that happens, unless your stubborn. Alot of arts are Effective and Efficient, it's just they are excluiding certain techniques due to legalitly issues in the ring. Plus in the ring you don't worry about broken glass and **** on the ground, it's all clean, just you and your opponent.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 1:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can name quite a few famous MMAers that would disagree with this assertion. Anyway, as we often do in these threads your focus is only slightly different than "sport" arts. Sport artists can and will break your arm just like a "high ranking <insert JMA KMA CMA> competitor.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 3:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that the laxness comes from confused expectations of how much effort it really takes to get proficient in the martial arts, what is physically possible, how wmuch you will have to get hurt, lots of hollywood and dojo nonsense, commercialization to make a profit, and actual mortally dangerous combat not taking place as much in the western world as it used to due to increased surveillance, penalties, and people just not caring to as much due to being much more tame than they used to be. Now in other less built up countries(I'm looking at you continent of Africa, Eastern Europe, parts of the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Central and South America)fighting is much more prevalent as a means to survive, as part of some sort of honor system, because of boredom, because of tradition, or possibly a combination of all those and more. In comparison a hell of a lot more people in the west, including myself, have the luxury of not having to have to fight a lot physically to survive.

I would say that out of it's many practitioners North America definitely has a good amount of talent, but that living situation, intelligence, and wits also influences your ferocity and approach to training and fighting.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 6:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HARDERISAY View Post
    I think that the laxness comes from confused expectations of how much effort it really takes to get proficient in the martial arts, what is physically possible, how wmuch you will have to get hurt, lots of hollywood and dojo nonsense, commercialization to make a profit, and actual mortally dangerous combat not taking place as much in the western world as it used to due to increased surveillance, penalties, and people just not caring to as much due to being much more tame than they used to be. Now in other less built up countries(I'm looking at you continent of Africa, Eastern Europe, parts of the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and Central and South America)fighting is much more prevalent as a means to survive, as part of some sort of honor system, because of boredom, because of tradition, or possibly a combination of all those and more. In comparison a hell of a lot more people in the west, including myself, have the luxury of not having to have to fight a lot physically to survive.

I would say that out of it's many practitioners North America definitely has a good amount of talent, but that living situation, intelligence, and wits also influences your ferocity and approach to training and fighting.
    I realize that Japan is on the verge of a new dark age what with the big earthquake and broken down nuke plants, but it's still pretty modern and developed, so I'd just suggest you go and try out a few Kyokushin karate training sessions, or maybe Judo training at the major universities like Kokushikan, Tokai, Nitaidai, Nichidai, etc.

Anyway, found a good judo dojo yet?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast