Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    No you're absolutely right, but you are talking about a public looking for the least intrusive way of gaining something that takes effort. Look at how much Americans spend on pills to lose weight. All they need to do is eat right and move around, but they choose to opt for a pill so they don't have to do any more than they have to. I have personally steered a few coworkers away from MMA classes at clubs, because they didn't realize the difference. I told them to train with another coworker who trains at an actual MMA gym that competes. After that, they wanted nothing to do with MMA. They thought they were getting the same thing at the club, I told them it wasn't possible.
    You realize that has to do with your friends not the clubs right? I'm not going to argue or discuss all of these other derails. People are lazy. People are stupid. Fine. Blaming personal laziness on a gym is silly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:49pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HA! No sorry! I didn't take the class. I was picking up my kids, while my wife was in her body pump class. We watched the MMA class and it was a little more involved than just your average MMA based cardio or conditioning class. They were teaching technique. In fact I've been in MMA and Muay-Thai conditioning classes and they didn't teach technique during those. it was conditioning. If your form was off they would correct you, but you weren't learning techniques, you were exercising.

:)

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No At the health club self defense or competing is not the focus, but some of the people taking the class don't know the difference.
    That wouldn't make the club a mcdojo.

All the credential anyone really needs is a signed picture of a big name MMA fighter, and the uninformed begin to think they are learning self defense on top of their workout.
    oh really? the deluded, you mean. The uninformed can find out about mma by watching TV, int3rnets, local live events, ppv etc etc. It's not the secret d3adly. Like I said, the real credential is fighting, or having fighter's you've trained. For those who will settle for a signed picture of a fighter....I've been negotiating the sale of the Bunker Hill Bridge for some time now, perhaps they'd like to get in on it.

I remember women thinking they could fight off would be muggers because they switched from aerobics to Tai-Bo when it was the biggest thing going. All these ladies running around with their knuckles wrapped like they were doing some bag work or something.
    Tai-bo was a step up from simple aerobics, in terms of self defense...just not much of a step. MMA is not tai-bo. I don't recall seeing many full contact tai bo matches....or anyone discussing their tai-bo record. There aren't world famous tai-bo fighters, and to my knowledge, there's no tai-bo ppv...unless you mean some sort of fetish thing, on the naughty channel.

mma is proven to work, under the highest scrutiny. There's a much more prevalent understanding of it's fundamentals than tai-bo, tai-chi, aikido, krotty etc etc. Faking the mma funk, is easier to catch, as it's a fighting sport, and without a record, a stable of fighters, no piece of paper really will suffice for long, with any but the most irretrievably stupid and gullible people.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:54pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HA! No sorry! I didn't take the class. I was picking up my kids, while my wife was in her body pump class. We watched the MMA class and it was a little more involved than just your average MMA based cardio or conditioning class. They were teaching technique. In fact I've been in MMA and Muay-Thai conditioning classes and they didn't teach technique during those. it was conditioning. If your form was off they would correct you, but you weren't learning techniques, you were exercising.
    Okay, so you didn't go to the class, didn't get a flyer or talk to the instructor?

There are some actual health clubs that rent out space to actual MMA teachers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:56pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not uniformed, uninformed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 3:09pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like you, I'm going to adopt you and call you 'mini merciless'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 3:11pm

Style: Okinawan Go Ju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeaah well thats what my Sensei has taught us. You can ask the user Spam'N"Cheese, he is a personally friend and we trained in the same dojo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 3:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, he told us that already.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 2:32pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    So because you guys went to one crappy dojo, you think it's fair to comment on the quality of martial arts training in America as a whole?
    No, I'm not saying that at all. But I can vouch for his story that the dojo went down the shitter and because of that, he's now a dojo lurker. From his other posts on the other forums, you can see he wants to get into aikido. I suggesed judo to him.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    3/20/2011 2:35pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    It doesn't even sound like a Goju-ryu place. No conditioning? No sparring, even those shitty stepping drills?

Which kata do you guys do?
    Oh, there's conditioning and step drilling. But the only sparring we do, if ever, is point-based. Most of training is endless kata and kobudo. Because I'm sankyu, most of the time I have to endlessly perform saifa and seisochin. Right now, I'm thinking about quitting and lurking around for a good judo school. Even better, what someone suggested on this thread, a kyokushin school, if I can find one.
    Last edited by SpamN'Cheese; 3/20/2011 2:42pm at . Reason: Grammatical error 101
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast