Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 1:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, most non-martial artists think of it that way.

Did you ask about the class? At a health club Self defense is not their focus.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 1:49pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true!! It's too easy to tap out when the burn comes. What are instructors to do? If they push too hard, students quit and the doors close. MMA gyms have an advantage in this. The ones who really push, have delusions of someday being in a pay-per-view match, winning a million dollars, a belt, and a poster. The people with less fortitude, still slack, but ride the reps of the accomplished or semi-accomplished in the gym. "I train at xxxxxx where yyyyyyyyy trains at." The difference is that yyyyyyyyyyy is there everyday for hours busting his butt, while the other guy is out hitting the mall with his tap out gear pretending to be the sparring partner of yyyyyyyyy. Face it, that's what we do. Power perceived is power achieved right? Very few, in our society, have what it takes for the strenuous training. Not physically but mentally. We teach our kids to play nice and not fight even if they are picked on. So we have already a generation, where it is more important to look like you can kick some ass than actually be able to. That's why these kids are picking up guns. No matter what you train, till you make the commitment and accept the pain and sacrifice, you're just not getting it.

:)

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 1:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not to say you should cherry pick techniques from each system, but learn three complete and separate systems as fully as possible.
    Sounds like a lot of a)money b)wasted time c)bad advice.

I think this is where some MMA gyms get it wrong. Recently, it seems more and more fitness centers or health clubs/gyms are offering MMA.
    Do you see the inconsistency? If they're health clubs offering mma classes, they're not really mma gyms per se....but health clubs offering mma classes, you dig?

Training in three crappy gyms, doesn't add up to training in one good one. There are many schools worth someone dedicating all their time to.

The people I know, who are serious people, train/teach at the schools that have fight teams. That's the best way to see if you're learning works. Watch what guys have to go through to hang in the cage/ring, and emulate it, to the best of your ability. Then you're training with some confidence that you have techniques that can stand up to full speed/pressure/power.

If not, fine, just don't kid yourself. Getting d3adly in three crap/outdated/ineffectual arts, isn't really getting d3adly. Why on earth would anyone want, or need to learn three 'complete' styles, to attain self defense ability? Far Far Far better to know a few good high percentage moves very well, than to have a shitton of crappola floating around in your head, at the very moment when you need to act decisively, and with intent.
    So MMA is not immune to the Mcdojo phenomenon.
    While this is true...there's a good test of an mma gym. The existence, and records of it's fighter(s).

Having a thriving sport (ammy and pro, local/national/international), keeps the bs to a minimum. MMA isn't an "art" but a ruleset, for a sport, an awesome one. MMA gyms kinda need to have fighters, or they'd be like football training camps, with no actual players, in them....or teatime with no tea.....blackjack with no dealer....or well...you get the point, however weakly made by moi.

Take what works, and shitcan the rest. That doesn't mean don't try to learn the techniques, if people can work them, but we're talking about combat here, and things happen quickly. The less flowery bullshit, the better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No At the health club self defense or competing is not the focus, but some of the people taking the class don't know the difference. All the credential anyone really needs is a signed picture of a big name MMA fighter, and the uninformed begin to think they are learning self defense on top of their workout. I remember women thinking they could fight off would be muggers because they switched from aerobics to Tai-Bo when it was the biggest thing going. All these ladies running around with their knuckles wrapped like they were doing some bag work or something.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    No At the health club self defense or competing is not the focus, but some of the people taking the class don't know the difference.
    Okay, your training apparently sucked. Quit trying to equate all things to your bad experiences. Some people get things wrong regardless.
    All the credential anyone really needs is a signed picture of a big name MMA fighter, and the uninformed begin to think they are learning self defense on top of their workout.
    What uniform? I'm starting to question you have been to an Health club MMA gym class.

I remember women thinking they could fight off would be muggers because they switched from aerobics to Tai-Bo when it was the biggest thing going. All these ladies running around with their knuckles wrapped like they were doing some bag work or something.
    Yes, and that is how it was marketed. Now, if the gym markets it as Self Defense it is Bullshit. What I have encountered is MMA cardio exercise. No mention of Self defense.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    No At the health club self defense or competing is not the focus, but some of the people taking the class don't know the difference. All the credential anyone really needs is a signed picture of a big name MMA fighter, and the uninformed begin to think they are learning self defense on top of their workout.
    I'll bet those same people would think they were learning self defense while learning pretty much any ineffective traditional martial art too, though.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    People are now staring at me for bursting out laughing on the quiet floor, thanks Ben.
    At least you didn't spit tea all over your laptop.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you're absolutely right, but you are talking about a public looking for the least intrusive way of gaining something that takes effort. Look at how much Americans spend on pills to lose weight. All they need to do is eat right and move around, but they choose to opt for a pill so they don't have to do any more than they have to. I have personally steered a few coworkers away from MMA classes at clubs, because they didn't realize the difference. I told them to train with another coworker who trains at an actual MMA gym that competes. After that, they wanted nothing to do with MMA. They thought they were getting the same thing at the club, I told them it wasn't possible.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    At the age of 17 what the **** would you know of it? I think you didn't get your black belt because you're impotent I personally think you're full of **** and you're lying through your fucking ass.
    LOL, I already told him that, Omega!

Ben

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 2:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Most people don't want to do the hard training it takes to be a competent fighter and martial artist

That stuff hurts and is painful
    Bingo!
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast