Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 5:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I'm not convinced you have really ever trained in anything, or really are serious about training.
    People are now staring at me for bursting out laughing on the quiet floor, thanks Ben.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 8:36am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I can vouch for Cold Skin's story, considering I trained with him at said dojo and am only 15 minutes away. I started at the dojo at around the time he got promoted to shichikyu. Sparring was less point based, more on endurance and going all out, very resistant. It wasn't until I got promoted to green belt, rokkyu, that she changed it to mostly kata and kobudo, with little sparring, and it was actually point sparring. She would actually devise a system where at some point in training, she'd have you test and you'd automatically fail even if you did everything perfectly. I haven't failed yet, but my nikyu test is next, so she'll probably try to get me there. Hell, even last year, she held a tournament to fund her going to beauty school and she set up a nail salon in the dojo. Yeah, tough as nails, I know.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 8:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    Actually, I can vouch for Cold Skin's story, considering I trained with him at said dojo and am only 15 minutes away. I started at the dojo at around the time he got promoted to shichikyu. Sparring was less point based, more on endurance and going all out, very resistant. It wasn't until I got promoted to green belt, rokkyu, that she changed it to mostly kata and kobudo, with little sparring, and it was actually point sparring. She would actually devise a system where at some point in training, she'd have you test and you'd automatically fail even if you did everything perfectly. I haven't failed yet, but my nikyu test is next, so she'll probably try to get me there. Hell, even last year, she held a tournament to fund her going to beauty school and she set up a nail salon in the dojo. Yeah, tough as nails, I know.
    So because you guys went to one crappy dojo, you think it's fair to comment on the quality of martial arts training in America as a whole?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 8:58am

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Skin View Post
    Hi, I'm Jesse, 17
    Did the thread really need to continue beyond this revelation?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    McDojos are just as global a phenomenon as McDonalds. The US does not have monopoly on suckage.
    That's interesting. I thought such things were mostly prevalent in the United States and to a lesser extent the U.K. The people who run McDojo's tend to do it as a business but I always thought in many other countries martial arts schools are ran out of community centers where concerns like paying rent and utilities are non-existent.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 9:54am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really?

In the eighties, when this really surged with the Ninja and TKD craze, there was the Shaolin Craze in China, Bujinkan in Japan, Temple Kung Fu in Canada.

We may have more, but every country has their BS and Mcdojos. There are MABS and YMAS threads all over bullshido about this very subject. It is easy to blame America, but many countries developed their own Mcdojos and Bullshido earlier and during the same time period.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started out in my dojo, it was amazing. We would spar and do form equally, constantly trying to work our practical MA skill.
    You mean when you were five?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 10:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post

What can I say it sounds like your school sucks.

Unfortunately most Goju places suck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 10:36am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    What can I say it sounds like your school sucks.

Unfortunately most Goju places suck.
    It doesn't even sound like a Goju-ryu place. No conditioning? No sparring, even those shitty stepping drills?

Which kata do you guys do?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 10:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I'm Jesse, 17, with 11 years of Okinawan Go Ju Ryu Karate Do under my belt. I would be Shodan ranking but due to financial reason I had to leave 1 test before my black belt test. But sometimes I doubt that the "Black belt" means anything in modern day American Karate Training.

When I first started out in my dojo, it was amazing. We would spar and do form equally, constantly trying to work our practical MA skill. As time rolled though, the Dojo seemed to get more and more lazy, and more and more about the money, Don't get me wrong, the training was really good, but seemed to start more so focusing on competition than street practicality. Kata and Kobudo would be the main basis of the class, and we would spar only 3 times every 2 months or so when I was last there.

Reason's like this, if a lot of Dojos work like this, is a good reason why a good MA would get there ass beat by a street "washing machine" fighter. If a training is too lax and worried about competing, the student's have a hard time adapting to a real fight. I was like that when I sparred an outside, street fighter who was one of my friends. I was a great fighter, but I was so used to "Start!-Hit!-Stop!" and being stiff and using competition fighting strategy that I didn't do as well as I could have.

If Dojo's would take a week or so out of training and do pad-less sparring (mouth guard and jock cup are exceptions), and "Practicality Training" MA's would be much better equiped to defend themselves. "Practicality Training" is what my Senpai used to teach, he would show us how to utilize what we know against typical "street fight" techniques suuch as wide hooks( he loved condoning when the OPPONENT used them, made his job easier) and how to defend against them rather than just Straight forward Karate styled punches.

Please if you've experinced or seen a Dojo that has potential, but is too laxed, POST. And if you agree with "Pratical Training" and Pad-less sparring, please voice ALL opinions.
    At the age of 17 what the **** would you know of it? I think you didn't get your black belt because you're impotent I personally think you're full of **** and you're lying through your fucking ass.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast