Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 12:12pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We must be. All you whine about is how you're school sucks but it's your only practical option to train. Part of your complaint, is if you test, she will not promote you. At this point, rather than try and encourage you, I say just quit training, or at least posting about your predicament.

My last post wasn't about testing, it was about doing what you have to do to train. Even if that means you have to test, to appease your father, and fail knowing there is a high possibility of that. Good luck with your training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 12:41pm

Style: Okinawan Go Ju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm back and I have actually returned to training in the dojo. Well Aiki and Spam, you seem to be at a very awkward misunderstanding. Spam said about the nonsense about she force you to test and fail you even though you did exceptionally well, just to claim to your money and say whatever to it. It's not that he doesn't doesn't like testing, it's how she does it. And me being one test away from shodan, I want to test and claim my rank. It sounds to alot of you rank doesn't matter, well to someone like me it does. And yes, training is your own responsibilty, that has been made aware to everyone a few times, we get it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/09/2011 2:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah to be 17 and telling others about misunderstandings with my short time and experience IN ONE ART.

Go read your OP again and then climb down from that horse. If getting your Shodan was that important, you would have never started this thread and talked to your instructor first. Sounds like you did after the fact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 2:14am

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Skin View Post
    If Spam finds a Judo school thats decent I'll check it out. But as I said, despite what everyone says, I still want to go into Aiki. I'll just try it, if it is actually as bad as the world says, I'll dump it and say you guys were right. But it's not bad knowing alot of different styles. Knowing is half the battle, right?

Know something , now I may be new around here and yes I may be a curmudgeonly old man , that said *your* problem really does seem to be *you*. You have repeatedly been given good advice in this thread but folks who seem to be no bullshit type people. Why don't you just take siad advice and go find someplace and train , train *hard* , and quite frankly even if your previous dojo WAS a mcdojo you might have gotten some dgree of benefit out of it with a slightly different attitude on your part. Just because a given dojo is utter crap doesn't mean that you have to be.

Christ on a crutch , everyone of us has a mcdojo story , most folks aren't making it the central event of their life.

Go take some Judo...you'll learn how to fly.....and yes that's a joke. You're young , lighten up and move on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 2:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm back and I have actually returned to training in the dojo. Well Aiki and Spam, you seem to be at a very awkward misunderstanding. Spam said about the nonsense about she force you to test and fail you even though you did exceptionally well, just to claim to your money and say whatever to it. It's not that he doesn't doesn't like testing, it's how she does it. And me being one test away from shodan, I want to test and claim my rank. It sounds to alot of you rank doesn't matter, well to someone like me it does. And yes, training is your own responsibilty, that has been made aware to everyone a few times, we get it.

Why did you even start this thread then? And yeah 'rank' means didly squat if you can't fight.

Sometimes I decry the relatively brutal training methods of the early '70s , but the benefit was that they weeded out a certain type of person.

You need to decide how committed you really are and if you're committed to the pursuit of rank or the pursuit of knowledge , and no they aren't always the same thing.

Ok now you can burn me in effigy , I shoulda just kept my damn mouth shut.....

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:05am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For someone who says that their hero in Japanese bujutsu is Miyamoto Musashi, I'm surprised at your statement, Skin. I already told you on how I view rank: I'd rather be a white belt my whole 6 yrs. of training and still be better than a shodan who had been training just as long, but only made it to black belt because they paid for the testing. Rank means nothing to me and it doesn't really show how much one "knows". I know more about Okinawan history than most of the students in the school, and some of them are BLACK BELTS. Anyways, I prefer testing when I'm ready to test, I don't care for another rank just to show off to other martial artists.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's seventeen he doesn't have enough experience to understand the journey vs rank argument.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He's seventeen he doesn't have enough experience to understand the journey vs rank argument.

I'd say that you're correct on that one , ot to be that age again and have my knees back and hands that aren't old and brittle. Ah well I've lots of memories , good and bad. The old Grateful Dead line actually is applicative........" What a long , strange trip it's been.

Skin , I wish you much luck , but never quit striving , it all comes from within yourself , as trite as that sounds it's actually tue to a great degree , someone can show you a technique , but *you* are the one that makes it your own. Another individual cannot accomplish that for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    For someone who says that their hero in Japanese bujutsu is Miyamoto Musashi, I'm surprised at your statement, Skin. I already told you on how I view rank: I'd rather be a white belt my whole 6 yrs. of training and still be better than a shodan who had been training just as long, but only made it to black belt because they paid for the testing. Rank means nothing to me and it doesn't really show how much one "knows". I know more about Okinawan history than most of the students in the school, and some of them are BLACK BELTS. Anyways, I prefer testing when I'm ready to test, I don't care for another rank just to show off to other martial artists.

Exactly , and the fact of what an individual wears around their waist does not necessarily equate to actually being able to utilise it on the mat or under stress in a street confrontation. I'd hazard a guess that every individual with experience here can tell a tale of a good Dan rank practitioner who got his ass handed to him on the street because he was too busy sorting through which technique to use and he got popped bad before he finally reacted.

In defensive situations one *cannot* subjugate reaction to conscious thought. Folks may think the old Parker maxim ridiculous , but truly there are times that he who hesitates meditates horizontally.

And by the way , since I'm getting myself into hot water here , *screw all the turn the other cheek* crap , if it is *really* serious all that's going to get you is smacked on *both* sides of your head.

And Skin....go buy yourself acopy of Greys Anatomy , study it well , if you know how the human body is put together it's relatively easy to figure out how to dismantle it , the hard part is the application , that said you will find much of value within that particular tome , as long as you don't succumb to the Dillman ( and other) bullshit about nerve points and certain Bunkai.........

Much luck in your journey....

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 6:59am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Skin is 2 months older than me. I'm just the smarter one. :-D
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast