Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 9:25am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    I would, if it were totally up to me. My dad doesn't wish to pull me out, because I've been training in it for almost 5 yrs. and am close to shodan. I'll be turning 18 in September anyway, I have a part-time job and I'll have my license before that time.
    Oh well. I won't try and comment about the dynamic you have with your dad, and I can see him wanting you to get a shodan.

But I suppose at least you realise you're training at a shitty dojo and can soon move on to better things. In that sense, you're in the right website, almost every member here trained something shitty before moving on to proper alive training.
    Don't feel bad, 18 is still very young, many of us saw the light much much later in life.

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 9:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    But I suppose at least you realise you're training at a shitty dojo and can soon move on to better things. In that sense, you're in the right website, almost every member here trained something shitty before moving on to proper alive training.
    Don't feel bad, 18 is still very young, many of us saw the light much much later in life.
    I quit Judo as a kid to play Rugby seriously and went back to MA a little later. I went to Aikido, lol! All because of Angry White Pyjamas. I quit Aikido after a few months because they taught a ground work move where you just hold someone at arms length and wheel them onto their back. 13 year old me was fully away that this was totally not how real life worked, because that didn't work in Judo ground work. So I left and went back to Rugby.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 1:21pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    Oh well. I won't try and comment about the dynamic you have with your dad, and I can see him wanting you to get a shodan.

Well, for now, I'm having my art teacher teach me some basic nage waza. Yes, she's an art teacher and a nidan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 3:29pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing to remember, is that your training is your responsibility. You may have limitation as to where or when you can train. It is up to you to make the most of your training. Someone in your dojo is willing to put in the extra effort to train harder; or find someone even from a different system who lives near you. A building doesn't make the dojo.

If that specific dojo is your only option for organized training right now, then step out on your own till you can find a more reputable dojo, that is serious about teaching what you are wanting to achieve. In the mean time, your dad may be right in that you have invested a lot of time and money, and you should go for your shodan. At least you recognize your limitations. Many, who train once a week, three times a month, or less, who are close to, or have been given a black belt, think they are ready for anything, when there are people out there, who have trained more in their first year, than they have their whole campaign of belt seeking. A belt or sash is no substitute for knowledge.

I had trained in Kajukembo for years before stopping to play football. My life before football revolved around training though. I still practiced and exercised everyday for Kajukembo even though I wasn't able to attend classes due to my schedule. I didn't lose any knowledge from that. I did become better at what I knew, because I practiced it more.

That gave me a different attitude when I started Aikido training. I wasn't concerned about rank. I was concerned about learning techniques, and being able to apply them, and make what I already knew more affective. I didn't test my first ten years of Aikido training. It wasn't until a couple of years ago, I decided to start testing in Aikido, and resume my training in Kajukembo, so I could someday teach both, after I retire from state service.

Even though I train in Aikido, my training day starts with calisthenics, resistance training, a three mile run, and stretching. I plan on making this part of my curriculum when I start teaching. I even plan on having physical fitness tests along with promotional exams. What sense does it make to learn even the world's greatest fighting system if you aren't physically capable of applying it? By the time I hit the dojo, I'm already tired. When I'm tired, that's when I start training in technique.

I work fifty-six hours a week, have two kids, and still train. I slacked off on the physical part for a while, but now I'm back at it. I do this on my own, it's my training I'm responsible for. I go to the dojo to touch base with my instructors and learn new technique, but My training day to day is all me.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 5:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    Congrats.You are among the great unwashed and illiterate, trying to argu with folks who actually know what they are talking about. A humbling experience.
    > There was no arguement only a slight and very common misunderstanding of a term that I was taught improperly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 4:10pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i used to train karate in a dojo that i had to leave for a few reasons last year. I took some time off, and started training in some other things, but i decided recently that though i can't train at that dojo anymore, it's my own responsibility to make sure i excel at my original training with or without the help of my original sensei.

As someone here already said, your training is your own responsibility :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 8:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by proteinshakez View Post
    i used to train karate in a dojo that i had to leave for a few reasons last year. I took some time off, and started training in some other things, but i decided recently that though i can't train at that dojo anymore, it's my own responsibility to make sure i excel at my original training with or without the help of my original sensei.

As someone here already said, your training is your own responsibility :)
    I agree with you on this statement. However, I'm not willing to pay $60 a month for training that was once good and now ended up horrible, especially when she practically forces you to test just to deliberately fail you and get your cheddar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 4:12pm

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    I agree with you on this statement. However, I'm not willing to pay $60 a month for training that was once good and now ended up horrible, especially when she practically forces you to test just to deliberately fail you and get your cheddar.
    Then don't test. Just train and build your skill and abilities. You are young, stick with it, till you can get out from under your father and this school. If your father and Sensei get together and conspire to make you test, then do it. Don't focus on failing or passing. You train for self improvement, not for belts. Go test and do your best. Don't let the mediocrity of a school make you mediocre in your training. So you test knowing she will more than likely fail you. That's a business arrangement between her and your dad. If he wants to throw away $60 on a test, that's up to him. You're letting too many outside influences affect your training.

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 4:07pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of where you train is just dumb luck. I had vague, mystical ideas about how the MA all played out. I really wanted to do kung fu. My sister signed up at some place and I went down and tried it. When they started to spar I was like "where the **** are the pads?" Next thing I now I'm getting thrown, choked, and battered.

It wasn't a friggin boxing school, but I did take a beating and it was not for wussies.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 6:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikironin21 View Post
    Then don't test. Just train and build your skill and abilities. You are young, stick with it, till you can get out from under your father and this school. If your father and Sensei get together and conspire to make you test, then do it. Don't focus on failing or passing. You train for self improvement, not for belts. Go test and do your best. Don't let the mediocrity of a school make you mediocre in your training. So you test knowing she will more than likely fail you. That's a business arrangement between her and your dad. If he wants to throw away $60 on a test, that's up to him. You're letting too many outside influences affect your training.
    I really don't care about testing. Perhaps we're at a misunderstanding here? Everyone else here understands where I'm coming from, except for you.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast