Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 9:39am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know Tom. If a person was in good standing, stayed over a year, and then put in his notice just a few days shy of his 30 days I would've let him finish. Then again apparently I'm a poor business manager.

Then again we only know one side of the story.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 9:56am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    So if I understand this right, you gave your 30 days notice 28 days before your next bill?

As already mentioned, it's in your contract to give 30 days notice and if since you didn't do that, you received another bill. You signed the contract so you're bound by their cancellation policy, which isn't odd at all for a gym. Could they have been nice to you and not charged? Sure. Would it have been in their best interest? Nope.

Hypothetical situation: Let's say that they decided to cut everyone a break from the 30 day cancellation policy and they have 20 people leave the gym in the year due to financial issues. At $140 a person that comes out to $2,800 of lost revenue. Do you have any idea how much it is to lease a building in Santa Barbara? It's a lot, and that extra income is needed if you want your business to survive during this hard economic time.

It's also not fair to play favoritism; they have policies in place, everyone must adhere to them.
    No it sounds like he gave his notice 32 days prior. All this does is let you out of the contract in 32 days. Most agreements say give notice so we can have one more month to bill before cancelling. So, if you're going to move in a month give your notice a month out. You get billed one more time then the contract ends.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 10:09am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I pushed further, putting in my notice a couple days shy of the 30 day mark, they billed me although I had fulfilled my obligation, moved to another town, and hadn't touched their mats in 2 months.
    Yes, this is written kind of unclear. It reads to me two ways.

1) OP finished the contract and paid for the final two months with zero training. Then the OP gave notice 2 days before the cutoff and they erroneously and underhandedly billed the guy.

2) He cancelled late.

It sounds like the first one to me, but it is rather vague.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/17/2011 10:18am at .

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I don't know Tom. If a person was in good standing, stayed over a year, and then put in his notice just a few days shy of his 30 days I would've let him finish. Then again apparently I'm a poor business manager.

Yup, you're the nicest asshole I've ever met. I wouldn't mind hearing the other side of the story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    No it sounds like he gave his notice 32 days prior. All this does is let you out of the contract in 32 days. Most agreements say give notice so we can have one more month to bill before cancelling. So, if you're going to move in a month give your notice a month out. You get billed one more time then the contract ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

1) OP finished the contract and paid for the final two months with zero training. Then the OP gave notice 2 days before the cutoff and they erroneous and underhandedly billed the guy.

2) He cancelled late.

Well, the OP needs to clarify things then. If he gave 32 days notice and his contract said he needs to provide 30 days, then he shouldn't have received that last bill (unless there is some item missed, such as not providing notice in writing).

OP, next time this happens you can always dispute the item with the billing company directly, with your bank, or even take it to small claims court. Always keep a copy of your contract and a dated copy of the cancellation notice.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what the hell is this doing in MABS?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 2:26pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    what the hell is this doing in MABS?
    Might be because we're discussing martial art standards which would fall into the parameters of this section.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You don't have to explain this to me. Back before I retired, my company could have at any given point more than 6 figures of accounts receivable past 30 days due. But that's not really my point. I already said, based on what was written, Paragon might be dicks. I was talking about agreeing to pay something, then deciding, for no reason other than it benefited him personally, he shouldn't have to pay it.

Might be because we're discussing martial art standards which would fall into the parameters of this section.
    Yep. It's a legitimate, specific beef with a particular school and a topic which shouldn't drift. Nor does it need the kid gloves in Newbitown where it was found.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/17/2011 4:37pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Yep

After having signed a contract and attending classes for a couple of months, my employer moved the company to another state. I was not allowed out of the contract.

My not paying out the contract hit my credit report. When I did move back to Oklahoma, I went to see the owner and agreed to pay $750 to absolve the debt. He let me know I could always come back and gave me an autographed copy of a magazine with him on the cover.

I used the magazine to house train a puppy.

Now, nearly twenty years later, when asked about schools in the south Oklahoma City / Moore area, I always tell people the story. It's probably cost him some money.
    Different problem. In your case, they actually broke the law. Contracts for such types of services are void if the person moves more than 75 miles away.

Edit: Twenty years? I don't recall when that was implemented. It may not have been illegal at the time.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 4:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

1) OP finished the contract and paid for the final two months with zero training. Then the OP gave notice 2 days before the cutoff and they erroneously and underhandedly billed the guy.

2) He cancelled late.

Obviously, it sounded like the second to me. If it was the first, then what I said does not apply to the OP and the OP has redress if he wishes to recover the money.

ATTN TOM KAGAN

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 4:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly.

If not, dickiness, repeat business, and complaining aside, it is the companies choice and it isn't illegal or incorrect.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast