pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dog Brothers Gathering 2010 video

The Dog Brothers recently uploaded a video of a compilation of moments from the last gathering, and it's well worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKqY...embedded#at=60

My favorite part is watching Poidog (yellow shirt) and some of the other senior guys mix it up with double sticks.

Oh, and my only appearance in the video is me getting kicked in the face around 1:00 in, because I suck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 3:07pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks so, so fun. When the fighters are down, and one pulls out a hidden blade and gets good stabs (such as 1:49), is the match over? What dictates match end?

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy View Post
    That looks so, so fun. When the fighters are down, and one pulls out a hidden blade and gets good stabs (such as 1:49), is the match over? What dictates match end?
    Matches tend to end when Guro Marc says so. He's the one walking around with the staff and the Viking helmet. He's considered as more of a moderator than a referee though, since everyone is responsible for themselves. In a fray like that, it's hard to notice things that may have been fatal, but conversely you don't want to stop fighting just because you think you may have lost, because that's an awful habit. Like after I got kicked and he follows me to the ground and starts stabbing, I still pivot towards him to keep my legs between us (after the video cuts I quickly switched to my knees because I remembered that guard strategies are awful against weapons). Anyway, you fight until someone taps, someone is clearly done, or Marc says so. Usually afterwards there will be a short conversation about what had happened (my second one was about the dangers of being stabbed in the nethers by a hidden knife).

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 4:38pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The Dog Brothers recently uploaded a video of a compilation of moments from the last gathering, and it's well worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTKqY...embedded#at=60

My favorite part is watching Poidog (yellow shirt) and some of the other senior guys mix it up with double sticks.

Oh, and my only appearance in the video is me getting kicked in the face around 1:00 in, because I suck.
    Good stuff, thanks for shareing.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    ...Oh, and my only appearance in the video is me getting kicked in the face around 1:00 in, because I suck.
    Bullshit.

1-You've fought at 2(3?) Gatherings, that puts you above at least 99% of the FMAists in the world
    2-You were fighting Guro Matt "Boo Dog" Booe, who is a monster
    3-You hadn't been training in at least 6 months, and you still stepped up

In summary, you don't suck. I understand you're being self-deprecating and humble, but if I hear you "say" that again, even jokingly, I will beat your ass.:staredad:

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 3:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog View Post
    Bullshit.

1-You've fought at 2(3?) Gatherings, that puts you above at least 99% of the FMAists in the world

In summary, you don't suck. I understand you're being self-deprecating and humble, but if I hear you "say" that again, even jokingly, I will beat your ass.:staredad:

Aloha, Poi
    Thanks, I was mostly joking.

I read that Toki was injured in his match with me (pectoral, rotator cuff and bicep) and I felt crappy about that since I'm so much bigger than he is. I know that stuff can come with the territory and everyone is responsible for themselves, but I always feel really bad when someone is injured and I'm involved, like Lenny in Of Mice and Men.

Boo Dog is very good at what he does, and I didn't really learn who I was dealing with until after I fought him. All of his matches were fun to watch. I see he's hosting the Kombat Instruments tournament this weekend. I might drive on up to that.

That was the 2nd one I fought at, by the way, but I've been to four I think (one at that garage, two at Powerhouse and the one at Hayastan).

I've been studying FMA formally now and dropped doing kung fu. Just recently I've started WEKAF style sparring with Narrie Babao's group, and it was the first time I've tried using the standard jacket, gloves and headgear, since I worked backwards from a fencing mask and gloves. Realism aside, it's been a ton of fun, and stickfighting without having my ears ring and head hurt whenever my mask gets hit is just so much nicer in comparison. I think I had just started training with him when I fought at the last gathering, but we had just been going over the bare basics of the art.

So is the one coming up in two months an open thing, or is it an invitation-only kind of thing?

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 9:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog View Post
    Bullshit.

Aloha, Poi
    Good god, I sound like a condescending douchenozzle. My apologies, Perma, mayhaps I should avoid posting after I've been drinking. Reading your post sober, it's a no brainer...don't know why I got my panties in a bunch. Looking forward to seeing you at the next Gathering.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 8:01am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats good stuff perma. Im really considering joining an FMA class here in indiana. Iv always been interested in the weapons fighting and the realism it brings to training. Do you guys ever have empty hand competition?

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 10:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    Thats good stuff perma. Im really considering joining an FMA class here in indiana. Iv always been interested in the weapons fighting and the realism it brings to training. Do you guys ever have empty hand competition?
    The Dog Brothers gatherings aren't exactly competition, in that there's no tournament structure and everyone is meant to feel like one big tribe, not your group vs their group. Each fight is an agreement between two people, and if they wanted to do a knife vs empty hand, it's been know to happen. Also, there are times when someone will lose their weapon so now they're empty handed. I recall seeing one fight a few years ago where both guys lost their weapons and it looked like a boxing match with masks and headbutts. My favorite thing to see is when someone is good and fights conceptually the same way without a weapon and the FMA empty hand flavor shows. In my training personally, we do a good deal of empty hand work, but not much sparring without weapons. Actually that's something I really miss. I stopped by my old kung fu school and watched them wailing on each other in sparring, and I miss being a part of that. We do WEKAF style sparring with rattan though, and that's a lot of fun.