Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 6:57am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Small Change or Complete Change to Lifting Program?

So as some of you may have seen from a thread I had back last summer, I took a round kick to the left leg that tore my sartorius and rectus femoris and left me limping for a few months last year. Once I got back to being able to move without pain I decided to start a 3x/week 5x5 program from square one. I went in that first day and just lifted the bar and moved up 2.5 kg every time I could.

Now, about six months later, I'm seeing no more returns from that. I weigh 82 kg and my lifts stand like this:

A:
    Squat 100kg
    Bench 77.5kg
    Row 75kg

B:
    Front Squat 80kg
    OHP 55 kg
    Deadlift 145 kg

I've been stalled out for a while. I'd like to see the weights go up, but I'd also like to get more endurance. I can do about 15 dips in my first set but after bench I can't do more than 3 sets of ten, maybe 11 or 12 in the first set. This is the same I could do back in September. No improvement. I'd rather be able to do more dips than weighted dips unless the latter is necessary for the former. Ditto for pullups. I can do about 3x6 if I wait until the end of my workout, or do about 8 first thing in the morning.

I'm thinking about keeping Mondays as workout A, Fridays as workout B, and making Wednesdays a bodyweight day, but then there's a week between each exercise, which I am given to understand is a Bad Thing.

I've also read that 5x5 programs are intended to be starter programs and shouldn't be continued ad nauseum. I'm not exactly a beginner to weights, even though I'm I'm not strong. Should I drop this and do something else entirely? I really need it to be a three day a week program. Tuesdays and Thursdays are Seido and Saturdays are swing dancing, so I don't have much more time for lifting than MWF mornings before work.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 10:26am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for going up in squats (we're about the same weight and we lift about the same weight, except squats) I went from a 5x5 to 5x3 routine and my squats kept going up. I got to a 143kg squat before I kinda stopped lifting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 7:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still squatting three days a week?

I might as well try that. It's not like what I'm doing is of much benefit.

I'm not even sure what a reasonable goal for squats would be for me. I'm a bit above average in height and in the absence of massive amounts of eating or cardio I've always weighed the same 78.5 kg since I was 12 years old. As cool as it would be to squat twice my bodyweight, I'm thinking that might be an unrealistic goal given my body type.

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 8:41am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are also doing pull ups/dips? Do you do them before you squat or after?

Also, What's with the rows? Is this the new 'improved' Stronglifts routine?

I'm doing the old version TWICE a week with a few minor changes.

Workout A:

Squat 3x5
    BenchPress 5x5
    Inverted Rows 3xF
    Push Ups 3xF
    Reverse Crunch 3xF

Workout B:

Front Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Pullups/ChinUps 3xF
    Prone Bridges 3 x F

Then I add a different cardio weights/bodyweight circuit at least once a week.(often use crossfit for reference)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I downloaded an SL book on pdf a couple of years ago. There were barbell rows on the bench day. I really like them.

Sorry, there are three sets of dips to failure on the A workout and three sets of pullups to failure on the B workout.

I'm going to have to do some youtubing and look up prone bridges. Are inverted rows where you hang from the bar and pull yourself to it? I'm just guessing although I suppose I can look that one up too.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 11:58am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What helped me the most with squats are the following:
    1. whenever I felt weak at the end of the workout, I always told myself that I can always do just one more squat. Phychologically, this has almost always been true for me until my back strength started limiting my squats. I think this got me all the way up to 115kg.

2. ass to grass

I really need to start lifting again. I think if I start again I'll be down to 115kg.

I'm average height and most of my muscles are in my legs.

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 3:34pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you training for? I see you are concerned about progress stalling out and you seem to want those numbers to keep going up but I don't see to what ends.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    What are you training for? I see you are concerned about progress stalling out and you seem to want those numbers to keep going up but I don't see to what ends.
    What's wrong with that?

Posted On:
    3/17/2011 11:24pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with that but if your goal specifically is to keep upping your numbers or if you are training for a specific sport or goal outside of lifting than it makes a difference in how you should progress.

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 6:27am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post

I'm going to have to do some youtubing and look up prone bridges. Are inverted rows where you hang from the bar and pull yourself to it? I'm just guessing although I suppose I can look that one up too.
    Basically yes but with your feel elevated, inverted rows are definitely one of my favourites.

It's hard to say why someone is 'plateauing' with a particular lift. It could well be a form issue (hard to say without seeing your technique).

100kg for someone weighing 78kg is fairly decent so you could consider giving the stronglift advanced programme a go.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast