Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 12:05am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained at a gym where the Smith was the only squat rack available, and made substantial size gains as well as strength gains (measured by my deadlift and easy of pickups in Judo) on the stronglift 5x5 program.
    So yeah, I'm not opposed to them.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 12:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Smith machines suck suck suck. I typically avoid them like the plague, and actively mock anyone I see using them. That said, anything is better than nothing. If you do end up working out there, just tell yourself "I'm doing it for the heavy bags"

smillard: exactly right about guys curling in the squat rack. These are the same pussies who don't have the balls to actually DO SQUATS, and go use the 80 lb. DBs to do 3-inch Chest Presses, and then drop them on the ground so the whole gym looks at them. Fairies.
    Yeah, definitely better than nothing. I would prefer free weight squats myself, but I've been in gyms that didn't allow them, and I had no other choice but the machines I had at my disposal. I used the hell out of them, until I could get a better situation.

The gorillas at my last gym said they felt more posterior chain work on the smith machine there. Most of those guys were geared though, so.....

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 12:50pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no way a smith machine gives you more posterior chain work than free weights when it comes to squats or deadlifts, or any of the things that traditionally involve a lot of posterior chain. However, I could see this being the case IF these guys were doing exercises on the Smith machines that they wouldn't do otherwise.

You'd be surprised how many big, geared up guys don't work any muscle you can't see in the mirror.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 2:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't mean to imply they did regular squats on the smith. They did some extreme foot placement on them. Way forward. I tried them that way and I assure you my glutes, hams, and lower back were all mad at me. These guys were power lifters and strongmen competitors, none of the body builders did any of this stuff. ( I didn't either, but I like to keep it simple. )

These guys also did a lot of cycling... of various things, and exercises, depending on how far out from a comp they were.

This is the guy, that showed me the smith squat variation, and at the gym I was working out at, at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKAQJxGjahY
    Last edited by Cayvmann; 3/16/2011 2:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 1:46pm

Style: Arnis Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I am actually using the squats to burn fat off the mid section. At the moment I am approaching this by doing low weight, high reps, but I am open to suggestions.
    Clean the weight and front squat it if there is no rack, and you are only using light(er) weight. The clean will prime your nervous system for the squat nicely.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/23/2011 5:43pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MikeRC is correct. But you'd be wise to learn proper Clean technique before doing this. Otherwise you'll either be limited to even lighter weight than you really need, or risk injuring yourself using the weight you're seeking.

The Clean is among the royalty of all weight lifting exercises. However, it is rather complex and very skill-dependent if you wish to do it well. But learning those skills and being able to incorporate the exercise will provide you with tremendous abilities and gains you wouldn't see otherwise.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12