Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 6:18am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question regarding Smith machines

No, it is not ideal. Having been firmly entrenched in the idea of free weights for a long time and telling everyone within earshot that I do free weights, not this machine **** that isolates muscles, pussies.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I found a community gym within walking distance from home that is $6 a session, or $79 for three months. So I'm like, ****, this needs to be checked out because the wallet is so light it needs to be measured in atomic weight. Well, I get there and am instantly disappointed. No free weights, just a smith, various poser machines and dumbbells. Long story short, it has a couple of heavy bags and seriously, $79 for three months!

My question is this: This Smith Machine is supposedly a "new" kind. Having never actually used one before, I was under the impression that they normally went straight up and down on some sort of a track. Well this one goes up and down, and back and forth. It just doesn't twist or move off the horizontal. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if it is worth $6 a fucking session (including heavy bag work afterwards, answer: it is), or if I am so noob that this sounds like a dumb question to seasoned posers who know that Smiths move up and down and back and forth? If so, tell me to :GTFO:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 9:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may not be ideal, but it provides resistance. Use it. I know a lot of competitive power lifters and strongmen that actually use smith machines in their training. Yes, they still do the regular power movements too, but they find value in other modes of working out. This sounds like a machine that allows for a more natural movement, so I don't think the normal limitations of smith machines apply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:21am

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ask them if you can try the machine and see if they have any info on it. I've never seen the kind of smith you are talking about. One issue is if they only have one machine, go at a time you'd be likely to train and see how many people are using it. If a bunch of people are using it at that time you might want to reconsider, don't want to pay for something you will either have to wait a long time to use or not get to use at all.

One thing I hate is going to the gym and finding a bunch of curl monkeys on all the squat racks and the one power rack because they are too lazy to bend over and pick up a bar. Or as one guy told of his curl weight "dude, that's too heavy to pick up from the ground"

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:28am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smith machines suck suck suck. I typically avoid them like the plague, and actively mock anyone I see using them. That said, anything is better than nothing. If you do end up working out there, just tell yourself "I'm doing it for the heavy bags"

smillard: exactly right about guys curling in the squat rack. These are the same pussies who don't have the balls to actually DO SQUATS, and go use the 80 lb. DBs to do 3-inch Chest Presses, and then drop them on the ground so the whole gym looks at them. Fairies.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 4:46pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I tried it out. At the moment I am doing really low weights on it because of my hamstring, I don't want to damage it any further. It allows for the more natural movement as stated above, being that it can go forward and backwards as well as up and down, but it still felt weird not having to readjust to the horizontal, which I imagine is where a lot of the core work actually is, but as said prior, it is resistance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 6:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thinking outside the box a bit, what about a home gym, possibly doing some bodyweight type training at home, construct your own sandbag etc..

What have you done to your hamstring?

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 7:27pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Already do that, mrh80. Bodyweight stuff can only go so far when building aesthetic muscle. And I live in a tiny unit so no bag possibility. Honestly, I am happy with what I am doing, I just wanted to know about this Smith machine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no worries

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 10:20pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the end, the person is more important than the equipment. Most people end up on the Smith machine because it's easier. But if you come at it like a badass, and make the most of it, you can still make gains.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:43pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am actually using the squats to burn fat off the mid section. At the moment I am approaching this by doing low weight, high reps, but I am open to suggestions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast