Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 4:34am

Style: judo/jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mosin nagant for shtf

Well I own a mosin nagant as well as a double barrel 12 guage, pump action 12 guage, and a .22. Im planning on buying a new gun soon and I was originally going to buy an AK but Ive been thinking about getting a pistol. My question is do you think the mosin would be a sufficient shft rifle?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:24am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends what you mean.

It would be adequate for hunting a large variety of game and adequate for fending off poorly armed looters. For neither of those purposes would I choose an AK if I had choices.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 2:36pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how bad it is. I and those I train with all use AR platform rifles. If I were you, I would get a solid handgun(Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Springfield,...), then progress to a good battle rifle.

How long is the barrel on the pump shotgun? and the double barrel?

I take it the .22 is a rifle?

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 3:42pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It worked well for the Russian homefront in WWII. It's not ideal, but it's a great rifle for 100 dollars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 7:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is and it has alot going for it in terms of price and ammo availability, but it is also very heavy, 5 shot capacity, bolt action, and too big for small game, which should be taken into account for a "SHTF" scenario.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:09pm

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Define SHTF. Are you planing on shooting looters or game? If game, big or small? you live in urban or rural? I have a 91/30 I use as a plinker, mainly because surplus ammo is cheap. SHTF and I cannot take all my guns, I would choose my M4rgery, on account of it being more versatile.

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:21pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That nagant should do you fine for SHTF. It's reliable and it's accurate. Biggest problem is ammo availability. 7.62x54 isn't that hard to find, but in a SHTF scenario it'll get rare pretty fast unless you've got reloading equipment that you can take mobile if you aren't planning on holing up. Also, keep in mind that it only takes one good shot for you to upgrade your weapon. If I were you I'd buy a pistol before I bought another rifle. Something in a common caliber, like whatever your local cops use or 9mm since the army is still using that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 1:16pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. The action is stiff and cumbersome, and regardless of how cheap ammo is to find NOW, in a SHTF scenario, your going to be disappointed if your primary ammunition isnt something that is very commonly manufactured in this country. There are plenty of bolt guns just as rugged, more accurate and with a propensity towards native cartridges that could fill the role. an SKS would be a better choice IMO if the primary qualifier is price.
    -a more commonly found round
    -adequate power for big game like deer without being TOO powerful for smaller game like raccoon or possum. its basically a re-badged .30-30
    -superior firepower. If you need to have it, its there for you.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 2:09pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't think a bolt action rifle would ever be a good choice for SHTF situations given the widespread availability of semi-automatics. For your home, the shotgun should probably be your primary choice.

In a hostile encounter where the other person is armed with a rifle, I would not want a bolt action in my hands if they had a semi-automatic with a 30 round mag in theirs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally speaking I'd probably agree, though it depends on the situation and the bolt I have and the semi auto they have.

I'd take an accurrized bolt action .308 and up with a quality optic with 1000 yards of open terrain vs. the other guy with his semi auto 5.56/5.45/7.62x39.

I also don't quite agree that SHTF ammo needs to be primarily US ammo. In all likelihood, you would be limited to what you yourself or those in your circle of friends have stockpiled. You can easily and cheaply stockpile 7.62x54R, much cheaper than any other similar sized round. You can also easily and cheaply stockpile rifles that shoot it, so you could arm others in your possibly expanding circle of friends with a decent long range rifle.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast