Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 3:20am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

can't slip/duc under/avoid punches

I can parry, block or cover up from punches but I never have the reflexes to avoid them and I tend to close my eyes when I duck or slip. Any advice?

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 3:25am

Style: sushi-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    practice ... practice and more practice ...

have a partner throw punches at you ... and keep slipping or bobbing them ...

the trick is to shift the weight with a twist of the waist and duck with the legs ... not the back ...
    totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 3:43am

Style: This and That

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if u keep ur eye on one point of his body, liek for me, i stare at their chest (espsecially sparring chicks) or leaidng knee, this allows me to work on my vision, and reflexes, i use to close my eyes too, but now i know they coming for me, but i'm looking at an area thas not flyign at me, so i don't close my eyes, instead i can duck or counter quick...

by when they start to throw those combos... close ur eyes and hope they go away
    if you can't see it, they can't harm you...
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 5:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is better to focus on an arbitrary point .. and take everything in with your peripheral vision (ignoring what you are staring at really) so that you can catch movement on a wide range. When you see the movement as a whole, rather than specific hands flying at you, then you can react without losing sight of the big picture. I am too tired of being online to explain this right. Someone else do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 6:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good question. I have to say I'm not good at this either but hey...that's not gonna stop me from giving my opinion.

First of all my limited experience taught me that you already have to be moving before the punch is innitiated. If you stand still there's no way you're gonna be fast enough to evade punches or kicks, even if you manage to evade number 1, you're opponent is likely to make it a combo and that's hard to evade.

Second of all don't move back too much. A fighter walking forward while attacking will most of the times be faster than it's opponent who's walking back trying to evade all the attacks.

Thirdly I think you shouldn't focus too much on evading by ducking all the time because it won't take long before your ooponent notices this and fakes a punch to knee your head of when you duck.

And finally I noticed that some fighters just are faster then me and when they come at me with varying combo's I'm already happy when I can block some of that. So I guess it's also a matter of training/experience.

That's my opinion on the matter, but if it's bullshit feel free to tell me. Maybe I can learn something too.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 10:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i advise you to stop sucking.

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: can't slip/duc under/avoid punches

Originally posted by KillerInstinct
    I can parry, block or cover up from punches but I never have the reflexes to avoid them and I tend to close my eyes when I duck or slip. Any advice?
    I'd focus first on trying to break the reflexive behavior of closing your eyes. I don't know you past, but this is common with folks who have been hit a few times in their life. I believe - and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong - that this a learned reflex. If your body is responding to a threat by closing the eyes, you are not going to be effective in evading. If the eyes are open, your ability to see something coming and immediately respond WILL improve.

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 12:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Osu

First of all my limited experience taught me that you already have to be moving before the punch is innitiated. If you stand still there's no way you're gonna be fast enough to evade punches or kicks, even if you manage to evade number 1, you're opponent is likely to make it a combo and that's hard to evade.
    Osu, are you suggesting that if someone throws a technique first then you've already conceeded a strike? If you're caught flat-footed you can't defend yourself?

Let's take a simple example - let's say someone throws a jab at you which much travel, say, 18" to strike you. Even if they get the drop on you, do you think it might be possible to slip your head 6" to evade?

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    3/13/2004 3:55pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The represntative for the legally blind welcomes you aboard the USS Get Punched in'da Face.

It's a good boat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2004 2:01am

Style: mulatto homeless boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by punchingdummy
    Osu, are you suggesting that if someone throws a technique first then you've already conceeded a strike? If you're caught flat-footed you can't defend yourself?

Let's take a simple example - let's say someone throws a jab at you which much travel, say, 18" to strike you. Even if they get the drop on you, do you think it might be possible to slip your head 6" to evade?
    It's all about reaction time, but generally it's very hard to evade a jab from that near. I've never been a defensive wizard, but I can remember when I was still trying to evade a jab that I would inside parry+slip to the right+weight shift on back foot and still get at least partially hit at best, usually just slapping the fist off my face. The only times I could cleanly slip a jab was when it was thrown from way far away.
    I believe that a good tight guard and the ability to ride with the punches are better skills than training to cleanly evade them. B&W to get inside and a more exagerated version if you're trapped in a corner; it's more about the other guy missing you than you evading his shots on target.
    I have met a few defensive wizard that could just stand there and evade punches, but they are the minority, and they cheat . They just make you throw the shots they want where and when they want.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast