Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, might in its auxiliary function doesn't mean "despite"—it suggests possibility or is an overcorrected version of "may." (This is what reading comprehension actually looks like, btw.)

It is an expression—a poor one—and is as tedious as it is common.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 1:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Definitely. While overall, I really prefer watching the most recent fights (today's MMA fighters are so far beyond the skills of the early UFC fighters, with very few exceptions) There is still a golden comedy to watching a sumo get kicked in the face,
    You forgot the part about how that kick to the face sent Teila Tuli's tooth flying.

Let us never forget the first UFC victory ever was a KO involving a flying tooth.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 1:21am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Actually, might in its auxiliary function doesn't mean "despite"—it suggests possibility or is an overcorrected version of "may." (This is what reading comprehension actually looks like, btw.)

It is an expression—a poor one—and is as tedious as it is common.
    Redemption. And here I was almost prepared to write you off as the bad kind of nazi. You're definitely the good kind. +rep

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gay Nazis are the best.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Gay Nazis are the best.
    Agreed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 1:34pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I was actually one of the guys that was really excited about Brock Lesnar coming to the UFC.

Only a moron would make the assumption that WWE stars are not capable of fighting since the sport is about entertainment not actual combat.

Equally a moron would make the assumption that professional wrestling is going to prepare someone for MMA like other respected grappling arts do (NCAA, greco, judo, etc)

I am not sympathetic to either of those perspectives.

Mostly I was excited about Lesnar coming to the UFC because I'm a Heavyweight myself, and guys that just turn themselves into beasts absolutely deserve my respect. He is definitely one of those beasts.

Then came Lesnar vs Mir.

Despite Mazzagatti being a complete fucktard (who the **** interrupts the fighters when they are both working?) That was a fair and square win for Mir.

Then the trashtalking started.

Lesnar calling Mir 'lucky' to get a submission is so insanely disrespectful of his opponent that I almost wrote him off right there. There's nothing lucky about 8 fukken hours in a gym every day.

Then there was UFC 100, Lesnar vs Mir 2.

In my opinion, the moment that fight ended, something fundamental and crucial failed in brocks brain. (I'd wager there is some scientifically significant deformity) and he suddenly transforms back into his old WWE self.

Mir gets up to congratulate him on a good win, and what does Lesnar do? He's not even listening. He is 100% consumed by his own ego-fuelled rage and even fires an insult.

IMO, he's not even a 'heel' like koscheck.

He's a legitimately narcisstic person. He's clearly too simple minded to be actually EVIL, he's just uncaring, unkind, and unapologetic.
    Some people like those qualities. Most of them are WWE fans (or 2007 Tito fans)
    I do not.

If he can transform his thinking from "IM THE BADDEST ************ WHO EVER LIVED into: "hey, I could learn alot from my opponents He may yet be one of the greatest champions ever.

It relies on one thing happening, imo - he needs a manager that can give it to him straight, and make him follow instructions. He NEEDS this kind of help - he's just not intelligent enough to understand why even the guys he has beaten are much better fighters, they just don't belong in the same weight division.

The problem with having a super-heavyweight division is the lack of legitimate 260-280 pounders.

It's not that those guys aren't around - but the UFC has really had a bad record with very heavy fighters. Typically, those fights are either very unbalanced (varelans vs ruas), or very boring (randleman vs rizzo) also, what about emmanuel yarborough roflolololololol..

So yeah, I think Brock is a very dangerous man, I just don't know how well he would perform against someone that had the same set of tools but maybe a better working brain.
    Understood. I was excited when Lesnar made the transition in part because he was a "hometown" guy who wrestled at the U of M and now lives outside the cities, and I know (loosely) a few guys who train, or have trained, with him. But I'm also someone who has no interest, at all, in the theatrics and trash talk that he kept reverting to. I think he has gotten a lot better about it since his illness, but I suppose you never really know if that's legit or just part of the performance. Plus the raw size and athleticism he has was something I was fascinated to see in action.

As for pro wrestling and MMA, I see them as totally unrelated things that really have little to no baring on each other. Like you, I don't see some pro wrestler and automatically think he could be a champion in MMA, but I also don't see a pro wrestler and think he has to be some fraud either. A lot of MMA guys have done pro wrestling over the years but it seems like the vast majority of them (off the top of my head, Dan Severn, Josh Barnett, Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, Sakuraba, Fujita, Maeda and a ton of other Japanese fighters) get a pass on it, but not Lesnar or Bobby Lashley, both of whom were high level amateur wrestlers and therefore had a solid foundation to try and work from.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lesnar seems like he's chilled out and gotten a lot more humble since he started the sport. I think that he was a heel in the WWE so long that he automatically went back to that when they put him in the cage, but after a few fights he got it out of his system and is way more likeable in interviews and stuff.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock hopefully now will do things right in his training and stop being scared of striking and being hit, and maybe stop just smothering his opponents until the buzzer blows... my problem with him is that if he had never wrestled in th WWE would he have been given the opportunity to take the heavyweight UFC title ??? I think not !!! He did not have the resume for it !!! Being just a college wrestler is not enough even if you are 6'3" and 280.

:)

Posted On:
    3/19/2011 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    A lot of MMA guys have done pro wrestling over the years but it seems like the vast majority of them (off the top of my head, Dan Severn, Josh Barnett, Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, Sakuraba, Fujita, Maeda and a ton of other Japanese fighters) get a pass on it, but not Lesnar or Bobby Lashley, both of whom were high level amateur wrestlers and therefore had a solid foundation to try and work from.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Frye, Shamrock, Severn, Barnett and others made their name fighting, and then did stints on entertainment wrestling. The WWF/WCW/WWE used their actual badness, as a marketing tool, and to lend credibility.

Lesnar and Lashley came from entertainment wrestling to fighting. They were known as wrestlers....which doesn't, or shouldn't give them much credibility when talking about FIGHTING in mma.

Having wrestling experience, at a high level, puts them in a similar position as anyone coming into mma from other sports/styles at a high level....not above it.

The difference is, they had fans. They got 'badass' points from their fight promoters, because they had fans who were bathing in the coolaid. Brock has since shown himself to be arrogant, unsportsmanlike, crude, and afraid to get punched hard. He is certainly at the top of the poser crowd, if not the very top.
    I'ma go drink a coors, cos bud won't pay me nothin', hell, I might even go lay on my wife
    That's some stupid **** to say, and he'd have gotten hell from DW, except he has fans, and they bring money, so it's put up with. Hell, does ANYONE here believe he got to coach on TUF because of his fighting prowess? That turtle **** against cain was pathetic, and not at a high level. not in the top 10, not in the top 25. He can't/won't take a punch.

Brock is Bob Sapp 2...but he would NEVER have been able to beat Ernesto Hoost, even in thumb wrestling.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 3/19/2011 4:13pm at .
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567