Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 3:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung jung mu sul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

kung jung mu sul

hello everyone this is my first post so sorry if i sound like a total retard.
    anyways i was just wondering if anyone has heard of kung jung mu sul as far as i know it seems to be rarely known and google search only gave me wikipedia and some random schools :S. im supposed to be checking one of these schools out today but i have no background information on this style what so ever other than its supposed to be quite a wide style if anyone knows more can you please tell me?

btw i had 2 schools left, this one which im checking out and a wingchun school which seems pretty odd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 10:13am

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pick the one that doesn't just do a bunch of compliant partner drills - you know:
    "now punch me just like this" and then goes through a movement that only works because you aren't resisting.

Search the forums for "aliveness" which should get you a pretty good definition of what a good place is like.

don't quit if you go home tired and possibly slightly beat up. You are training to fight not dance; fighting, often enough, hurts. When you are training with someone keep in mind that you are not actually fighting, so if your partner is beating the sh*t out of you instead of helping you learn, you may want to watch out. On the same note- you should agree with your partner before sparring about how hard you want to go- that way no one is surprised by the full power shot to the face or whatever- because you've talked about it already.

Forms are great for technique, but they are no substitute for decent full resistance sparring.

Tells us what you find out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 3:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung jung mu sul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know nothing against you but i wish people didnt just copy and paste the same post every time a question comes up...
    anyways i know most of what you are trying to say and i did look for that but regardless most schools in the area are gonna put you at basic level first of course where people will not be trained to be able to deal with on the fly things instead you get thrown into basic training which is where i was put.
    the kung jung mu sul school seems to be a bit of everything thrown into it. what he showed me in the [preview time]? was something that looks like a strike/ kicking and locks/traps/throws. and according to him they also do quite a bit of floor work.
    also decided to try this place out and paid for their "2 month evaluation"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you gave no indication of having ever read any post on this forum. what was I supposed to do? not say anything?

Edit:
    If you know so much why ask such a question?

And when I am working with a new person they spar, it may not be hard contact, but once I feel that they have a feeling for technique we make them spar so that they can at least learn how to move. Is it realistic to a fight? no. but that's not the point of the exercise.

Sounds like a good place to try since you get to work the full range.

looks interesting, the orgs website is here:
    http://www.kungjungmusul.com/grandmaster.html

some of the history experts here will have to comment on the veracity of the historical claims they lay out.

Edit a quick google search shows lots of results including this:
    http://hitman-fighting.com/kung-jung...-martial-arts/
    Last edited by brihno360; 3/15/2011 8:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2011 3:37pm

Style: Kuk Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grandmaster Soon Tae Yang is an ex Kuk Sool Won Master who left back in the Mid '80's (?) He is very knowledgeable. Give it a try.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, the history of it is crap, however, KJMS is Kool Sul Won, as previously posted. So start researching KSW and that will give you an idea of KJMS. Like any other martial art, try it and see if you like it. If you don't, then press on to something else.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this thread got me to thinking a bit about modern kma. It seems to me that it's fine to come up with an art- given that the person knows what they are doing- I mean that's how most martial arts evolved anyway. But the approach is all wrong- instead of saying oh this is from x number of years ago and its a lost tradition is stupid and in my mind holds less water than just saying hey I did this martial art for 30 years (or whatever) and there were some things that bother me about it so I came up with my own style.

This may open up room for a lot of BS but if the person is a legitimately good fighter then it's not really BS right?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 8:12am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps it is the fact that I did not have my coffee yet, but what are you trying to say? I'm not saying the art is BS...I am saying that the whole royal gaurd fighting techniques is a BS history. There is nothing wrong with KSW in my eyes, if you enjoy doing it. Are some of the techniques impractical, yes, but that can be said for a vast majority of martial arts out there. No martial art is perfect.

For the most part people spit out the history based on what was told to them. There are a few that will tread the thin ice of actually doing research themselves, but for the most part it is easier to lay the burden of proof of history on their instructor. You also have to look at a culture aspect of this. It is very rude to outwardly dispute what the instructor has been saying, especially when it is the founder. So you just stay with what you know.

When it comes to one Korean breaking off from another, then most likely there was a dispute between the two be it over money, ego or just plain tired of each other's crap. Yes, it is possible for one Korean to split from the mother organization to start his own with the blessing of his master, but it is not seen very much.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 4:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just saying that I wish these guys would just say that they made the art up instead of trying to claim BS history about it.

it seems to have started with the whole tkd is 2000 years old thing; then it was like every art had to be 2000 years old to have any legitimacy.

Obviously, it's fine to call an art whatever you want; but I'd rather see something like:
    "we developed this art in the spirit of Korean royal court martial arts and that's why we called it that "

Than:
    "this is the real stuff that they used to bodyguard kings 2000 years ago"

No big thing really, I love KMA this is just something that came to my attention while studying different orgs for my TKD history thread stuff.

I have also read some posts here about how somethings not real just because:
    "They made it up" Which is a ridiculous line of reasoning since that is pretty much the origin of all MA, somebody made up the forms or moves or whatever and called it something and now it is a style.

It seems to me that it's more important to look at the qualifications of the people who invented the art and then whether it's real based on the fact that they made it up.

Most martial arts practiced today fall in this category.

Of course the art *should*be tested for efficacy in some sort of arena: ie vale tudo or Judo matches or MMA bouts or whatever to make sure the techniques being peddled are worth a dang or not.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 5:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brihno360 View Post
    I have also read some posts here about how somethings not real just because:
    "They made it up" Which is a ridiculous line of reasoning since that is pretty much the origin of all MA, somebody made up the forms or moves or whatever and called it something and now it is a style.

It seems to me that it's more important to look at the qualifications of the people who invented the art and then whether it's real based on the fact that they made it up.

Most martial arts practiced today fall in this category.

Of course the art *should*be tested for efficacy in some sort of arena: ie vale tudo or Judo matches or MMA bouts or whatever to make sure the techniques being peddled are worth a dang or not.
    Yes, we need context because, this has been said multiple times for years. Of course you will see comments of "They made it up." Many of those comments involve someone with minimum qualifications or no qualifications creating something from a mish mash of arts with no testing. They then give themselves a 10th Dan or cross rank someone.

Many times they aren't talking about effectiveness. Like the "Gumdo" thread where people became upset. The history was made up and no one said don't practice or have fun with the art. People get **** for arguing effectiveness and truth in history.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/29/2011 5:13pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast