Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 414748495051 5253545561 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    ...You already know you're in a comedy forum...
    I didn't realize it was just comedy. The title reads

Which I took to mean General Martial Arts Discussions, and also Comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    . I gotta machete shotgun loaded and aimed right at you. Your move bitch

That thing sunk 12" into 3/16" of corrugated cardboard!
    Last edited by Mark 42; 3/30/2011 10:40pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm my link says:

Your Martial Art Sucks: General Martial Arts and Comedy Forum

Your Martial Art Sucks pretty much explains this area.

In other words, Your Martial Art Sucks: General Martial Arts and Your Martial Art Sucks: Comedy Forum.

Either way it will get ugly.

:)

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark 42 View Post
    I didn't realize it was just comedy. Which I took to mean General Martial Arts Discussions, and also Comedy.
    To my perception, the designation indicates levels of moderation. It is theoretically possible to conduct a serious discussion here, and I've seen mods bring topics here, that are inevitably going to become flame wars. Just don't be mad if Lebell repels down, in assless chaps, and shits curry all over the thread.

If it's in YMAS, you can be a tool, w/o IIF banhammer. You may still be called an idiot though...such is life...it is mine.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 12:01am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I think you may have me confused with someone else. I don't give two shits about anarchists. As for TKD, I agree. It's kind of ****. That's why I switched. Had I known at 14 what I know now about martial arts I'd have been in Judo instead. Now I try to help other people avoid those same kind of mistakes. You on the other hand seem hell bent on trying to support a system of training that has consistently been revealed as a failure.
    I just realised, Kin as in Marvin the martian avatar kin. No ****, when did you become staff?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antihero
    Well I can't very well show the video catalog of my numerous street fights with the local yokels. I didn't have the foresight to bring a camera. What evidence would satisfy you and every other troll in Bullshido?
    It says in your style field that you do Judo. Judo advancement requires competition. Do you have any video, or other evidence of your Judo competitions? I'm sure that this would satisfy plenty of people.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 12:19am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    I just realised, Kin as in Marvin the martian avatar kin. No ****, when did you become staff?
    I came on board during the site upgrade to help with the IT side of things. I'm trying to avoid actually using my staff powers, but I have moved a few threads... Mostly I was working on performance issues on the site, almost all of which have now been resolved via tag team action from me and Kagan.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 5:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Why do trolls always use the BJJ=kickinthehead argument.
    Because they lack the power to kick everyone who doesn't agree with them out of the sandbox?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 11:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Personally, I don't believe that "full contact, start rolling every day and learn from getting yourself twisted into pretzels..." is exactly the best way to learn. In fact, most people that I know who drop BJJ do it for this very reason. They're expected to "roll" with much more experienced white belts or blue belts and they don't have a clue what they're doing so they're basically a beating dummy for the more experienced grapplers. Of course, there are people who think that that kind of class structure is "cool" or that "well, that's what happened with me when I was a beginner, everyone has to take their lumps." But I don't think that, really that kind of thing is bullshit. Its pretty stupid to think that someone has class for say 1.5hrs, 30min of exercise, 20 or so minutes of techniques and then 30-40min of "rolling"... there's really very little learning going on. Beginners shouldn't spend twice as much time rolling as they do drilling techniques that they just learned. No one learns under anything close to full resistance, it a neurological impossibility.
    I agree with you for the most part, I'll clarify the small point of disagreement in a few sentences. First off, the place I'm taking BJJ ends every session with 15 minutes of rolling which I think is a pretty good amount. And yes I'm very much a beating dummy for the other guys in my class and probably will be for another couple of months at minimum. It was very intimidating and frustrating in the first week as a newbie to BJJ and grappling as well and I can see how a lot of people would quit the sport quickly with that class format. When all you know is one single-leg takedown and you suck at it and you just jump into rolling you know you're going to get subbed quickly and that's what happens.

But - my instructor basically told me, you're always going to feel not ready before the first time you roll so you might as well jump in there. And I do think you learn a lot by getting into rolling early because you learn by getting the moves applied to you full force in real time and you learn how to contort yourself away from getting locks applied and what not. So for example I'm definitely still a training dummy for the dudes in my class because they're all a lot more experienced but I'm able to give them a workout for a few minutes before they win. So anyway, that is the small point of disagreement - while I do agree that a class format like that can cause people to quit, I do actually agree with my instructor that you learn a lot by jumping right into rolling early as long as you have the right mentality in terms of not quitting when you get frustrated. For people that don't know how to deal with frustration and losing though, yes it's going to be a problem and cause a high wash-out rate.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 12:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Personally, I don't believe that "full contact, start rolling every day and learn from getting yourself twisted into pretzels..." is exactly the best way to learn. In fact, most people that I know who drop BJJ do it for this very reason. They're expected to "roll" with much more experienced white belts or blue belts and they don't have a clue what they're doing so they're basically a beating dummy for the more experienced grapplers. Of course, there are people who think that that kind of class structure is "cool" or that "well, that's what happened with me when I was a beginner, everyone has to take their lumps." But I don't think that, really that kind of thing is bullshit.

Rolling on day 1 doesn't mean getting shark tanked. All of our beginners roll on their first or second day, but they roll with blue or purple belts that talk them through the positions and movements and let them get a feel for things. No one just jumps on a 1st day beginner and runs a clinic on them, unless that beginner goes all douchebag-powerbomb-out-of-triangles crazy on someone.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 12:17pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Rolling on day 1 doesn't mean getting shark tanked. All of our beginners roll on their first or second day, but they roll with blue or purple belts that talk them through the positions and movements and let them get a feel for things. No one just jumps on a 1st day beginner and runs a clinic on them, unless that beginner goes all douchebag-powerbomb-out-of-triangles crazy on someone.
    We have a more delayed schedule for beginners - during roll time they do drills and positional rolling until they are 3 months in. I'm often the guy that rolls with white belts their first time out. I definitely make sure to keep it friendly and establish a relaxed working type pace.

I pause with them to explain or show holes, I let them work and don't defend hard, feed them sweeps, and positions and if I feel comfortable that they are calm, I'll feed subs to them as well. If they are rough and refuse to calm down, I'll put in my mouthpiece and play hard with them. With good management and communication this is rare.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln