230835 Bullies, 4300 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 755
Page 1 of 76 1 23451151 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. ninpolives is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    18

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:16pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate / Ninjutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    my Ninjutsu research: The facts are super stealthy!

    Hello all, this is my first post and like most Ninjutsu people who post here I have noticed a lot of heated words exchanged between bujinkan practitioners and those who practice other arts. Now, this is probably the point where you expect me to write a million words saying that all you guys are mean and nasty, and you should just shut up and do your own thing...but actually, I want to open up a civil and open-minded discussion. Little kids call names and make things up...respectable adults usually should not.
    I have a fairly diverse martial arts background. My profile goes into it at length, but I will just sum up and say that I have studied Shotokan, Kodokan, JKD, BJJ, TKD, and more recently, I have been fortunate enough to study two different kinds of Bujinkan martial arts.
    Yes, you read that correctly. There are two kinds of Bujinkan arts. In only 3 months of practicing this art, I have sampled them both. The two kinds are:
    the OLD way and the NEW way. To put it simply, the old way was hard and dangerous. Sparring and Randori were not uncommon, while training injuries, on the other hand, were quite common. The toughness of Hatsumi's early students was noticed by all who trained with them, and this certainly contributed to Hatsumi-sensei's reputation as a good teacher. Anyone who has researched Bujinkan has surely noticed the numerous references to the fact that the training changed at some point to the "new" way, which is mostly based on forms, soft 1-on-1 drilling, and an over-emphasis on Takagi Yoshin Ryu (the Koryu Jujutsu style which is part of the Bujinkan system). I have noticed a lot of the people who practice the "new" way are fat, slow, and do not move like fighters or ninja. I have taught Karate to a few people before, mostly in an informal way, mixing in other things I have picked up, and I remember looking at one Bujinkan student and thinking: "Man, if that guy was one of my students, I'd tell him to lose that big fat gut and that arrogant attitude or I wouldn't teach him a thing." This is why I honestly understand why you guys make fun of Bujinkan so much. With fluffbunnies like that out there, giving us all a bad name, it's no wonder some people think our style is weak.
    That being said, there are exceptions. Some teachers do it the old way and some do it the new way. In his book "the grandmaster's book of ninja training", Hatsumi admits that the training was softened down a bit, saying that he felt people could learn quicker if they didn't have to spend time recovering from injuries. Although I can see his logic, I believe he made a mistake.

    Before this gets brought up, let me go ahead and say that debates regarding the historical legitimacy of Ninjutsu styles are pointless. This is because Ninjutsu has almost always existed as a secret style. How could anyone ever prove or disprove the closely guarded family secrets of centuries ago? It's not possible. Everyone tells a different story and we have no way to investigate thoroughly.This is why Ninjutsu has been used by con artists like Ashida Kim and Robert Bussey (the guy who trained scott morris and steve jennum) and let's not forget christa jacobsen. Me, I'm willing to take it on a little bit of faith because Hatsumi's version of the whole ninja history seems much more plausible to me. Most people present the ninja as having been assassins and mercenaries. Hatsumi says that the original ninja were the defenders of Japan's Buddhist temples, and their arts evolved from the temple arts of fighting monks. He says that the ninja were basically survivalists, living in a time of great chaos and near-constant war, and so they developed skills to work their will without being known. I don't believe the old "cadre of assassins" line because that's what the "legitimate" histories say. Well, who do you think wrote those so-called "legit" histories? the people who were in charge at the time, of course! and that means the Samurai. Now really, if you published something good about Ninjas in feudal japan, how long do you think it would be before some guy in a topknot showed up and beheaded you?
    At one time, there were over 100 ryu of Ninjutsu known to exist in Japan. That much is fact. For all we know, they might all have survived in secret to this day, but we have no way to know. The point is that the people who have taught ninjutsu to the public are the exception, not the rule. When it has been taught to the public, it has often been watered down. If you want to understand the art, you first need to understand this.
  2. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,483

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:26pm

    supporting member
     Style: 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Son, you are in more trouble than if a hundred real ninjas knew your name.

    This should not have been your first post.
  3. Feryk is offline

    Boneheaded Optimist

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Keep going North until I say stop
    Posts
    2,109

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:34pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpolives View Post
    At one time, there were over 100 ryu of Ninjutsu known to exist in Japan. That much is fact. For all we know, they might all have survived in secret to this day, but we have no way to know. The point is that the people who have taught ninjutsu to the public are the exception, not the rule. When it has been taught to the public, it has often been watered down. If you want to understand the art, you first need to understand this.
    Okay, I'll go first, and I'll keep it civil. Ninpolives, first you say it is impossible to verify styles because of 'secret family style'. THEN you say the bullshit above, and even better - 'that much is fact'.

    Great. I believe you. I believe you so much that I have no doubt you can produce the evidence of this fact, and put it on the board here. References, and scan of the original documents would be prefereable.

    So let's see it, and then AFTER your facts have been verified, we can discuss the huge logical flaw in your contradictory arguement.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

    Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.
  4. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:35pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hatsumi's version of the whole ninja history seems much more plausible to me.
    Do you also believe in the flying spaghetti monster, the super moon, and that the mayan calendar marks the end of the world in 2012? Because every one of those is at least as plausible as Hatsumi's version of ninja history.
  5. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,645

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:44pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpolives View Post
    I have noticed a lot of the people who practice the "new" way are fat, slow, and do not move like fighters or ninja.
    Or what you think a ninja moves like.

    With fluffbunnies like that out there, giving us all a bad name, it's no wonder some people think our style is weak.
    People unhappy with themselves are often escapists, and the ninja fantasy has all the likely elements- danger, secrecy, cool black uniforms that hide your jowls and stuff, unique terminology, and Japanese women with hidden daggers. It would be weird if ninjutsu wasn't full of doughy nerd types.


    In his book "the grandmaster's book of ninja training", Hatsumi admits that the training was softened down a bit, saying that he felt people could learn quicker if they didn't have to spend time recovering from injuries. Although I can see his logic, I believe he made a mistake.
    I believe he made the art more marketable to the masses, and this has worked out well for him.

    Before this gets brought up, let me go ahead and say that debates regarding the historical legitimacy of Ninjutsu styles are pointless. This is because Ninjutsu has almost always existed as a secret style.
    Ninjutsu has also existed as a plot device for drama, from Japanese theater to movies and such. For this reason, if you want ninjutsu to be taken seriously at all, historical legitemacy is an absolute must.

    How could anyone ever prove or disprove the closely guarded family secrets of centuries ago? It's not possible.
    Maybe not prove, but the evidence will support or not support it.

    Well, who do you think wrote those so-called "legit" histories? the people who were in charge at the time, of course! and that means the Samurai. Now really, if you published something good about Ninjas in feudal japan, how long do you think it would be before some guy in a topknot showed up and beheaded you?
    Pieces of evidence don't need to be complimentary.

    At one time, there were over 100 ryu of Ninjutsu known to exist in Japan. That much is fact.
    I thought arguing historical legitimacy was pointless? Do you have a source for this figure?

    For all we know, they might all have survived in secret to this day, but we have no way to know.
    So is ninjutsu like the Loch Ness Monster?

    When it has been taught to the public, it has often been watered down. If you want to understand the art, you first need to understand this.
    If you can't know for sure what the original art looked like, it's hard to call it watered down.
  6. Lindz is online now

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,018

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:47pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should I assume by "take it or leave it" that you just did a brain dump and have no intention of engaging in further discussion?
  7. Feryk is offline

    Boneheaded Optimist

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Keep going North until I say stop
    Posts
    2,109

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:54pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also like to make the point that many styles of JMA have been 'watered down' and mass marketed to Westerners. The Japanese aren't stupid. They are quite happy to recieve payment for their knowledge - but that doesn't mean you are entitled to it all.

    I have seen firsthand Western masters walking around with high rank that know less than I have been shown. And I'm damn sure that there are people who look at me and think the same about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

    Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.
  8. Dave R. is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    82

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 3:27pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dux Ryu Ninjitsu > Bujinkan
  9. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 3:27pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean like Judo? That's totally watered down for western consumption which I'm sure is why it's not anywhere near as effective as the traditional japanese jiujitsu it was derived from; And BJJ is just further watered down Judo, so clearly it might as well be a bucket of steaming **** in compairson to the original JJJ!

    Watered down argument is fail.
  10. Feryk is offline

    Boneheaded Optimist

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Keep going North until I say stop
    Posts
    2,109

    Posted On:
    3/14/2011 3:45pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    You mean like Judo? That's totally watered down for western consumption which I'm sure is why it's not anywhere near as effective as the traditional japanese jiujitsu it was derived from; And BJJ is just further watered down Judo, so clearly it might as well be a bucket of steaming **** in compairson to the original JJJ!

    Watered down argument is fail.
    Not really what I meant. My particular style of Karate involves the kicking, punching, blocking, etc. that all Karate styles have, but it has other techniques in it as well - things that came from the SYRJJ side. Movement, some stances, locks, pins, etc.

    There are 5th Dans walking around right now that don't know them, and don't know about them. They were never taught AFAIK.

    And I wouldn't call BJJ 'watered down' Judo. I'd call it 'refined'. From what I know of it's origins, Helio focussed his particular training on the newaza part of the curriculum. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. That ended up giving birth to a new style. That kind of evolution is different from just arbitrarily teaching one thing and not another to different students.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

    Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.
Page 1 of 76 1 23451151 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.