Posted On:
    3/12/2011 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Still Searching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Adrenal freeze help advice

Hello Shidos,
    In the few physical confrontations I've been in (about 8-10 only but still unfortunately), I've always frozen up.
    It felt like there were 100lbs attached to be hands. So as you probably guessed, I had a pretty rough time trying to properly fight/defend myself. I've really grown tired of walking around with this insecurity/fear due to my fighting/self defense abilities (or lack thereof). If it wasn't for my good acting ability, my insecurity would probobly be way more apparent. Haha. ;)
    How do think this can be remedied?
    I hear from some combative/military systems dudes that there way is the best and/or only way to remedy my situation. Imho, some of what they teach knocks on the door of paranoia. I really don't think that everyone is a bad guy (I know the media would like us to believe otherwise), I believe the large majority are good.
    I guess I don't want or need to go to that extreme. I just want some confidence building fighting/self defense skills and some health and fitness improvement.
    I have very good friend who is former semi pro boxer and was a marine in the first Iraq desert storm, he says some solid sparring and even just constant reflex type drills can really help.
    So anyway, I have a Muay Thai school, a combat hapkido school, a modern arnis school and a BJJ school all literally within walking distance.
    I short drive away there is a judo dojo (VERY affordable, but I felt like I was gonna hurl from the breakfalls! SUPER nauseaous/dizzy man!), a boxing gym, a wing chun and also a kali school.
    Do you think any of these styles/systems/sports might be more suitable than others in helping lessen my adrenal freeze?
    Believe or not I've checked out and/or observed all of these schools.
    All spar exceprt for the combat hapkido, I think (kind of a money vacuum anyway. lol)) and all are pretty high quality instruction (except MAYBE the BJJ, just a gut feeling I guess. Maybe it's the blue belts that own/run the school?)
    Thanks for taking the time to offer up your thoughs and opinions.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competitive combat sports (Boxing, Muay Thai etc). Sparring and competing teach you that getting your ass kicked is no big deal, and make you more confident in your own ability to kick ass. Hopefully, with the confidence boost that comes from those sports you'll find you have less issues.

oh and tl;dr

EDIT: why is this in the WMA forum?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 12:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Still Searching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mickey, Thanks for the input. If had you to choose between judo, muay thai or boxing, which one of the 3 do you think would best remedy the adrenal freeze situation? I have all 3 near and available in my area. I don't think I can really afford cross training and all mma gyms are really pricey and way too far.
    As a side note to my question, I've noticed many of the scraps I've been in always wind up in clich/standing grappling, which makes me think judo might be the right choice (or maybe Mt?). But, the only thing is I don't think that judo prepares you much for punches/strikes to the face or body. right?
    Thanks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 3:21am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread really doesn't belong in the WMA forum.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 3:27am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Competitive combat sports (Boxing, Muay Thai etc). Sparring and competing teach you that getting your ass kicked is no big deal, and make you more confident in your own ability to kick ass. Hopefully, with the confidence boost that comes from those sports you'll find you have less issues.

oh and tl;dr

EDIT: why is this in the WMA forum?
    ^^ This. I went through the same thing when I switched from point sparring to full contact sparring. Sure, getting hit hurts. That's why you train and learn to fight. But it doesn't kill you, and in reality, it rarely even injures you beyond maybe a bloody nose. The first couple times you take a hard hit to the head, it'll shake you up pretty good. But once that wears off, you'll be fine, and much much much less afraid. Sometimes, the only way to get over a fear is to confront it and learn the hard way that it isn't really as bad as you thought it was.

Plus, training at a school where you regularly learn to hit people and things hard helps too. Part of your fear can be rooted in the uncertainty of what's going to happen when you engage. Whether you're the hitter or the one being hit, becoming more familiar with the circumstances is the best way to allay fear.

P.S. Physical conditioning helps too.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel