Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW I thought MMAMickey was perfectly reasonable in thinking that it's weird to admire someone's power without seeing them apply it somehow.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think he was being unreasonable, on the other hand this is IIF's forum and he's probably heard it all before.

Chiu Chi Ling here just does a tiger crane form and doesn't hit anything, the power is pretty visible anyway.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    FWIW I thought MMAMickey was perfectly reasonable in thinking that it's weird to admire someone's power without seeing them apply it somehow.
    Funny how your post has a completely different connotation that doesn't involve hitting things.

Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    Wait a minute, in what way can you get me banned from the CMA forum just for posting in here? Seriously, I'm interested.
    You and MClaw tend to get mixed because he trolls a ton and you only you don't understand various points. I apologize. Yes, if you (impersonal) get to shitty I can get your access removed.

To address the point of his power, when it comes to judging how hard someone can hit from visuals alone, the only way you'll get a realistic idea is by seeing them actually hit something. I was perfectly right to question the assertion that someone has good power based on a video of what was essentially kata.
    So, watching someone jump means they don't have powerful legs because they didn't kick a bag?

Watching someone run means they don't have powerful legs because they didn't side thrust a heavy bag?

A weightlifter doesn't have power when he benches 500 pounds. Like I said , you are talking applicability and KO power I was talking about something total different.

I didn't say you couldn't question it is the snarkiness and "there is only one way" to discern things that get irritating.

As to your post perma, no it isn't weird and it happens all of the time. I can get post were someone is doing a demo, with zero applicability, and you have said it was cool because you can see how it works.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/14/2011 2:29pm at .

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Funny how your post has a completely different connotation that doesn't involve hitting things.
    Well, if we're talking about striking power, I'd like to see people hitting things. Power could also be shown by lifting heavy objects, etc. If someone posted a video of a bodybuilder and said OMG he's so strong, but the video was just him flexing, people would wanna see him actually lift something. If he was a baji guy and the claim is that he's so powerful, I'd like to see him hit something, because baji fighters hit people. I chose a different connotation because baji guys do other stuff too.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Well, if we're talking about striking power, I'd like to see people hitting things. Power could also be shown by lifting heavy objects, etc. If someone posted a video of a bodybuilder and said OMG he's so strong, but the video was just him flexing, people would wanna see him actually lift something. If he was a baji guy and the claim is that he's so powerful, I'd like to see him hit something, because baji fighters hit people. I chose a different connotation because baji guys do other stuff too.
    I was going to post a video of a pro ballerina doing a powerful pirouette but chose not to, because it was a tangential example. But a pirouette is just spinning in a circle but with leg strength, balance, and core power that would put a lot of martial artists to shame.

Watching UFC and Strikeforce I've seen some powerful, bone hammering strikes that never hit anything but air...but you can sure tell what the damage would have been.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's not want anyone raised until MMAmickey posted. Now, if you want to argue that particular strawman go ahead and show me where I disagreed. I specifically said where I was coming from if you want to ignore my position fine go ahead.

In fact here:
    To take it further and away from OMG hitting defines power, the CMA term I look at when dealing with forms is either "issuing" or "issuance" of power.

Yes, it should translate to fighting applicability. Still, it is a separate part of CMA arts and it doesn't mean that he can or can't fight.
    you are talking applicability and KO power I was talking about something total different.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Chiu Chi Ling here just does a tiger crane form and doesn't hit anything, the power is pretty visible anyway.

video embed is disabled but I recognized it as the opening to Tiger Crane Shaolin Kung Fu DVD.

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 2:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    As to your post perma, no it isn't weird and it happens all of the time. I can get post were someone is doing a demo, with zero applicability, and you have said it was cool because you can see how it works.
    I might think a demo is cool without thinking it's powerful.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 3:07pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2011 3:38pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--