--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA, 2011: Battle: Los Angeles

Battle: Los Angeles
    USA, 2011
    Genre: Action, War, Science Fiction
    116 minutes
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217613/

A handful of marines face off against a massive alien invasion of Los Angeles.

At its heart and soul, Battle: LA is a war movie, through and through. Despite the aliens and the thriller edge, itís still a film about a handful of heroic soldiers standing up against unthinkable odds and conquering their own demons along the way. For what it is, director Jonathan Liebesman does a solid job of delivering on all the right notes when required. Itís genuinely gut wrenching, heart stopping, and tear jerking in the right places, but doesnít seem to get much more out of its screen time than any other well made war film. Aaron Eckhart and the supporting cast do a fine job with what they were given, but are ultimately held down by a predictable plot and dull dialogue. I will say that I donít think Iíll ever get tired of seeing Michelle Rodriguez as an assault rifle-toting bad ass, but itís not quite enough to save the whole movie. The script is packed to the gills with military jargon and in-jokes, adding a great deal to the immersion of the setting. All in all, though, most of the film comes off as some kind of extended sci-fi commercial for the US Marine Corps.

Liebsman isnít exactly known for directing epic movies, but he manages to pull it off here. Aside from trying to cram far too much into the first ten minutes of the story, most everything else comes off as fairly safe choices. The sound design is staggering, complimented well by a score that is appropriately heroic and uplifting. The CGI and practical effects blend almost seamlessly, giving District 9 a run for some of the best looking aliens and alien technology to date. Unfortunately, all of this hard work is almost flushed down the toilet by the absolutely horrible camera work. Everything, and I mean everything, was filmed with a handheld camera, making it just about impossible to keep your eyes on the same shot for more than a few seconds. In addition to making the actors, sets, and special effects difficult to read, itís definitely more than enough to give people motion sickness. They manage to capture some good shots of Los Angeles despite this handicap, but trying to follow the scenes between the actors is nauseating. I imagine that this was meant to further reinforce the feeling of being on the ground with the soldiers, but really it adds nothing to the experience except the desire to walk out and grab an aspirin.

As mentioned before, the action filmed on set merges beautifully with the action created digitally. The shoot outs are intense, and the explosions all feel real. If it wasnít for the terrible cinematography, I would say that this is some of the best sci-fi combat Iíve seen in a long time. If you think you can stomach the shakiness and the mediocre story, Battle: LA is definitely a fun way to start the spring.

Blog Link: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com...e-los-angeles/
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 11:06am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So pretty much a dvd rental or movie matinee. Hopefully in this movie we lose because that what would really happen if an alien race with the tech to travel lightyears came here.
    Last edited by MuayThaiBri67; 3/13/2011 11:06am at . Reason: typo

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 11:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I htink this is going to be one I completely disagree with CK on. Yes, do not pay full price. IMO, It is Black Hawk down with space Aliens done poorly. The good is equally matched by the bad to make a mediocre movie. There is a stretch where Eckheart gives every cliched speech you have heard in every movie together in an 8-10 minute span. The whole movie is DeJa-vu from the to old battle vet contratsed with the Young guy(s) who have never seen combat. About an hour in, yes too long at nearly two hours, I had resorted to trying to keep up with every war movie it reminded me of including independence day.

The visuals and aliens were cool and the battles and devastation were a nice touch. I think I would have enjoyed it more if the pacing would have been stronger.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait, where do we disagree exactly? it's a stock war film with space invaders, but it's decently fun to watch once you get past all the ridiculous war film tropes and camera work. we're barely on opposite sides of the fence here.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/13/2011 3:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't think it was fun. The camera work didn't bother me at all and in quite a few places was excellent. Predators was a fun rehash this was not.

It’s genuinely gut wrenching, heart stopping, and tear jerking in the right places, but doesn’t seem to get much more out of its screen time than any other well made war film.
    I feel all of these moments, save a few, were extremely forced and do not think it is near any other "well made" war film. After thinking about it I felt the same way about the movie Pearl Harbor. Some of the war scenes were great, but pacing, action and story were weak. Same with this movie well made isn't how I'd categorize it.

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 3:23pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I admit I saw Battle: LA last night. Mildly entertaining, brought nothing new to the table. Wait for the DVD.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    3/16/2011 6:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I didn't think it was fun. The camera work didn't bother me at all and in quite a few places was excellent. Predators was a fun rehash this was not.

I feel all of these moments, save a few, were extremely forced and do not think it is near any other "well made" war film. After thinking about it I felt the same way about the movie Pearl Harbor. Some of the war scenes were great, but pacing, action and story were weak. Same with this movie well made isn't how I'd categorize it.
    Seconded.