Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:14pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No way, the IOC does not want another grappling sport, to add to what they already have. BJJ is too close to judo, to the common eye, and grappling sports really don't draw anyway.

The IOC has an agenda, if BJJ had a chance SAMBO would have long ago been in the mix.

Thank GOD us SAMBO guys dodged that IOC bullet, be glad BJJ will too.

Aaron Fields

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Nah, if we're going to have anything I say Pankration.
    yeah, but we'd need a time machine to go back a couple thousand years and get the actual organization of Pankration. I don't like what I've seen of the new Pankration reconstruction.
    As for BJJ in the Olympics, I'd hate for ALL BJJ gyms to be completely keyed toward sport competition & that's it. BJJ is a pretty good self-defense art, but it could all be washed away just like it was out of Judo. I've talked to plenty of Judo folks who actually don't believe that Judo could ever possibly be defined as a SD art for the sheer fact that 99% of Judo schools train only for sport competition, never do self-defense or kata, in complete and utter denial of what Judo has been historically. It's actually pretty pathetic considering Judo's history and the will of Jigoro Kano and open criticism by Judo greats like Donn Draeger.
    I've done a good bit of research and I've found two things:
    1. the actual practice of Judo has been white-washed to look like a sport and not a martial art for various reasons in both Japan and the West, and
    2. Judo's literary history has been intentionally revised. The further I go back in old (many pre-WW2) Judo publications and writings, the more self-defense information I find but it's attributed to "bad translations" & such by many modern so-called "judoka"
    I don't think that Olympic Judo competition is the only reason, there was a lot of BS that went on during the US Military occupation of Japan and banning martial arts, but I do think that "Olympic Judo" was damn near the last nail in the coffin of the MARTIAL ART of Judo.
    Personally, I think that BJJ has a more than adequate competitive arena, it doesn't need to be in the Olympics. BJJ is such an excellent art, I don't want to see it martially neutered like Judo has been.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 3/11/2011 11:53pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:44pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to point out that, at least in my experience, the Olympics at least had a mildly beneficial effect on TKD. The only TKD school I ever trained at (years ago, we were all n00bs once) that trained hardcore and sparred full contact and tolerated KOs was an Olympic TKD school.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 12:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    I would like to point out that, at least in my experience, the Olympics at least had a mildly beneficial effect on TKD. The only TKD school I ever trained at (years ago, we were all n00bs once) that trained hardcore and sparred full contact and tolerated KOs was an Olympic TKD school.
    At my Judo school they just say "See this? this is totally illegal in competition" & then we practice it anyways. Personally I like it better that way. It keeps the competitive aspects of the martial art in it's proper place.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 5:04am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, you know that cheep and widely available saying that gets bandied about every time somebody in newbie town asks what they should do. You do realise why judo is cheep and widely available?

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 5:21am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because Judo is the slut of the MA world?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 8:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The IOC fucked boxing and turned it into fencing, they fucked judo and turned it into gymnastics and, given the chance, they will **** BJJ too - which would be kinda ironic as they're already kinda fucking each other.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 9:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first thought was compiling a list of techniques that would be banned or some other restrictions that would make the entire endeavor pointless.

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 10:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    1. the actual practice of Judo has been white-washed to look like a sport and not a martial art for various reasons in both Japan and the West, and
    2. Judo's literary history has been intentionally revised. The further I go back in old (many pre-WW2) Judo publications and writings, the more self-defense information I find but it's attributed to "bad translations" & such by many modern so-called "judoka"
    Do you speak and read Japanese?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2011 11:11am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    yeah, but we'd need a time machine to go back a couple thousand years and get the actual organization of Pankration. I don't like what I've seen of the new Pankration reconstruction.
    As for BJJ in the Olympics, I'd hate for ALL BJJ gyms to be completely keyed toward sport competition & that's it. BJJ is a pretty good self-defense art, but it could all be washed away just like it was out of Judo. I've talked to plenty of Judo folks who actually don't believe that Judo could ever possibly be defined as a SD art for the sheer fact that 99% of Judo schools train only for sport competition, never do self-defense or kata, in complete and utter denial of what Judo has been historically. It's actually pretty pathetic considering Judo's history and the will of Jigoro Kano and open criticism by Judo greats like Donn Draeger.
    I don't think that Olympic Judo competition is the only reason, there was a lot of BS that went on during the US Military occupation of Japan and banning martial arts, but I do think that "Olympic Judo" was damn near the last nail in the coffin of the MARTIAL ART of Judo.
    Personally, I think that BJJ has a more than adequate competitive arena, it doesn't need to be in the Olympics. BJJ is such an excellent art, I don't want to see it martially neutered like Judo has been.
    What about the modern Pankration sytem, that you don't like?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast