Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 11:31am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Art of Barbell Strength Training: Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and Love

Hey Bullies, I wrote this on my blog and thought you guys might enjoy it. I know a lot of you use the barbell as a conditioning tool and, with your martial arts training, could identify with the things I talk about in this article. Feel free to leave your thoughts on the comments or in this thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TruthBeautyFreedomLove.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	12270

When Uncle Steve first tried to teach me calligraphy, he shared the story of a famous brush master. "Despite decades of experience," he explained, "the master would begin every day with the basic vertical stroke. He would keep making vertical strokes until he was satisfied with their quality. On some days, this may only take a few; other days, it may take hundreds before he was content with his brushwork on this seemingly simple expression."

In many ways, the strength athlete and his barbell is very much like the calligrapher and his brush. Though one lifts upwards and the other brushes downwards, they both devote themselves to finding the perfect vertical stroke. To the outsider, lifts such as the bench press may seem to be an act of the arms and chest, and calligraphy may seem to be an act of the hands. But for the strength athlete and the calligraphy master, these are all-encompassing expressions. Not only do they put their entire body into the act, but their heart and spirit as well. Finally, while there is substantial technique involved in either art, the strength athlete and the calligrapher know that to attain true mastery, they must be able to truly express their unique self. And to truly express themselves, they must truly understand themselves.

In this post, we will explore why it is the art of Barbell Strength Training, embodying the Bohemian ideals of Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and above all things, Love.

Read the full article @ http://www.allasianboyshavekillerabs...barbell-part-3

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 2:36pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I followed your blog to your Facebook and discovered that you've never met Sirc. He is asian and does not have killer abs.

On Topic - I can't get this philosophical about weight training. Pushing weights around is just a means to an end for me.
    Last edited by tao.jonez; 3/11/2011 2:40pm at . Reason: was even more off topic - sorry.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2011 3:15pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    I followed your blog to your Facebook and discovered that you've never met Sirc. He is asian and does not have killer abs.

On Topic - I can't get this philosophical about weight training. Pushing weights around is just a means to an end for me.
    I know, but "Most Asian Boys Have Some Abs" just doesn't have the same ring to it. I guess it's an aspirational name.

I just looked up definitions of philosphy. Most of them have to do with knowledge, theory, beliefs, etc. But what I'm describing here is feeling. You know? "Don't think! Feel." =]