Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    That's just one example this thread...
    sigh...it's just how I am. I'm a bit weird, and much quieter in person unless you get me going on a subject. It's my OCD acting up.

Oh and if you're accusing me of being a google dork...erm..no. Not guilty.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/15/2011 11:35am at . Reason: lol google dorks

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    ...except I'd disagree that nature made it "next to impossible under most conditions"...heat exhaustion is a lot more common than that in athletics of all kinds. Hell, people die from heat exhaustion all over the world when they can't get access to enough water to sweat and stay cool and keep their hypothalamus glands at the proper temp., so I'd say nature made it pretty damn easy to die from it. :)
    Please learn to read.

We do not sweat out salt because we have too much, sweat is just salty and athletes sweat a lot.

There is salt in sweat, but salty tasting sweat is A FUCKING WHOLE LOT of salt in sweat. There is a difference.

The Institute of Medicine states that the normal recommendations for sodium intake do not apply to those who sweat regularly and recognizes the increased requirements for athletes.
    I didn't say athletes don't require more sodium. I said it's next to impossible to not have sufficient sodium intake on a typical diet unless you do something like ultramarathoning.

****, even regular tap water has a substantial amount of sodium in it.

I recommend these to many of my clients:
    http://www.saltstick.com/
    Look at the people they list on that website who use the product: ultramarathoners, triathletes, long distance cyclists - the same group of people I said.

Nope, if you just drink water on an endurance event you're fucked...
    Actually, up until 20 years ago, plain old water was the norm for regular marathons and people were *not* dropping like flies. Heck, Joan Benoit set a world record time in the 1984 Olympic marathon in high heat and humidity without intake of anything during the race.

Like I said: Don't worry about what your sweat tastes like. And, even elite level athletes in endeavors such as martial arts most probably already take in too much sodium.

When you work out at a high intensity more than 3-4 hours continuously at a time, then yeah, maybe you should start thinking about electrolytes.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/15/2011 11:40am at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    There is salt in sweat, but salty tasting sweat is A FUCKING WHOLE LOT of salt in sweat. There is a difference.
    So how salty is salty tasting?
    You are injecting a subjective measure now. People excrete different amounts of sodium naturally and most sweat is salty tasting ime.
    Please explain how "salty tasting sweat" equates to "A FUCKING WHOLE LOT" and how much is exactly in "A WHOLE FUCKING LOT"?

I didn't say athletes don't require more sodium.
    Never claimed you did, only added that because you downplayed salt so much.

I said it's next to impossible to not have sufficient sodium intake on a typical diet unless you do something like ultramarathoning.

****, even regular tap water has a substantial amount of sodium in it.
    Yep but even tap water can make you hyponatremic without exercise, just keep drinking enough of it.

Look at the people they list on that website who use the product: ultramarathoners, triathletes, long distance cyclists - the same group of people I said.
    Yep, those are my clients. Your point being?

Actually, up until 20 years ago, plain old water was the norm for regular marathons and people were *not* dropping like flies. Heck, Joan Benoit set a world record time in the 1984 Olympic marathon in high heat and humidity without intake of anything during the race.
    Obligatory "nice anecdote"?
    Not a smart thing to do by any measure, but possible? Sure. Everest is possible with no O2 as well...

Like I said: Don't worry about what your sweat tastes like. And, even elite level athletes in endeavors such as martial arts most probably already take in too much sodium.

When you work out at a high intensity more than 3-4 hours continuously at a time, then yeah, maybe you should start thinking about electrolytes.
    You clearly said salty taste was a measure of some sort in this same post.
    One of my athletes just finished two Ironmans and one of the worlds toughest ultras (HURT 100, about 20% finish) within 4 months.
    That's elite athletics, most martial artists are hobbyists not elite athletes.
    So now you're backpedaling it seems, and contradicting yourself.
    I can worry if i train longer then? Gee thanks.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how salty is salty tasting sweat? As I said before: who cares? But you said sweating is not one of the body's ways to excrete excess salt. You are incorrect, and that is why I pointed it out. If you're sweat tastes salty, that's just your body doing its thing. If your sweat doesn't taste salty, that's just your body doing its thing, too.

Your implications were that added salt was necessary for athletes. I downplayed salt because it is next to impossible not to get enough - unless you do something as stupid as what your clients do. If you had stated who your clients were, I would not have said anything. But, without stating them, your implication was for the type of training we do. This is a martial arts board, not the board for people trying to work out their extreme OCD via running 100 miles straight. 26 miles is bad enough, but nowhere near comparable. Even a "mere marathoner" doesn't need added salt on a typical diet.

And sure, excess water intake can be a problem. But were talking about sodium intake, not water intake. Besides, I already pointed out that excess water intake is problematic, anyway.

No backtracking. I said the exact same thing in my first post and you're just trying to be an asshole because you took offense when I said your clients are stupid. A martial artist might be stupid too for liking getting hit in the face, but the world would be a much better place if everyone from time to time got hit in the face. A world where everyone ran 100 miles at a time wouldn't be a better place, save for orthopedists and physical therapists. It would be their wet dream.

Edit: Oh, and LOL @ trying to play the "subjective" card in the same thread where you're also trying to play the "too much jargon/specificity" card, Ms. Goldilocks.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 3/15/2011 1:07pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/15/2011 2:34pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seriously. Sky is blue because of XXXX. Thats not true, how blue is blue? its subjective!! omgz. so tom kagan, you must be wrong. lol
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234