Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 7:53pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Ah, the "I am rubber and you are glue!" strategy. Well, it's easier than actually typing up what you should have, specifically: "I was wrong. The existence of a GID entry in DSM has nothing whatsoever to do with the etiology of the phenomenon. I was just annoyed at the idea of GI being neurological because I already had it in my head that it wasn't, and considering other possibilities and research is difficult for me because I am extremely stupid. I'm sorry. Please gongsau me to death."
    There you go mouth-breathing again. I wasn't discussing causation or origination. I was stating a fact -- an uncomfortable one it seems to many on this board.

By the way, what is a mental disorder? A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern generally associated with subjective distress or disability that occurs in an individual, and which is not a part of normal development or culture.

Go ahead. Debate whether it's a neurological or psychological disorder. I don't think it matters whether we plebeians have this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    A discussion is interfering with their work?
    When laymen dictate to scientists what words they're allowed to use, yes it does.

:)

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we're discussing, no one's dictating, that I can see.

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I wasn't discussing causation or origination. I was stating a fact -- an uncomfortable one it seems to many on this board.
    No, you were making a claim. You were claiming that neurological vs psychological was "word games." Nobody doubts that GID is in the DSM IV. The point is that DSM doesn't necessarily represent a) reality b) consensus, which is ever developing and changeable because psychology is a social science and c) certainly has no bearing on whether GI phenomena are neurological or psychological.

It's the same dipshittery you did with the Mormon argument. Point to a text and scream "FACTS!" But you, fool, are not in the possession of the facts. You've committed many errors of fact in this discussion (and the last) and dare try to bullshit your way through when called on them.

By the way, what is a mental disorder? A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern generally associated with subjective distress or disability that occurs in an individual, and which is not a part of normal development or culture.
    Good job, Wikipedia Brown! I'm sure Wikipedians all have PhDs and MDs with psychiatric specialties and created that definition based purely on the "consensus."

Btw, if you'd bothered to even read your OWN source a little further down, you would have come to this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder#Causes

Go on, read the whole thing. You'll note that it doesn't make the claim you did—that neurological vs psychological is a matter of "word games."

Debate whether it's a neurological or psychological disorder. I don't think it matters whether we plebeians have this discussion.
    A self-undermining argument, since you are fiercely trying to debate the issue, with your limited mental resources. You clearly think it matters. And when someone actually introduces some research, or looks at what you actually say, you start thundering about scientists and consensus and degrees...not that you've quoted anything other than Wikipedia, and that without even letting us know that you have.

What a dumbshit.

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So atomicpoet, why not tell us about the time you took a girl home and from beneath her panties sprang a penis. And then you said, "That's sick! That's sick!" and she said, "No no, I was sick. Now I'm cured."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 8:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    So atomicpoet, why not tell us about the time you took a girl home and from beneath her panties sprang a penis. And then you said, "That's sick! That's sick!" and she said, "No no, I was sick. Now I'm cured."
    Here's the difference between you and I. You think reality is subjective on a per person basis. I believe it is objective based on the consensus of human thought. What is real is whatever everyone agrees is real.

If someone in a male body one day decides she would happier to be regarded as female, good on her. That's not my concern.

My concern is individuals who dispute the objectivity of consensus in favor of their own subjectivity. There's a reason we have scientists. Science has replaced religion, and the scientist has replaced the priest. This is a good thing.

There is objectivity. There is empiricism. There is reality.

Posted On:
    8/05/2011 10:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the difference between you and I. You think reality is subjective on a per person basis. I believe it is objective based on the consensus of human thought. What is real is whatever everyone agrees is real.
    This isn't right. It's not even wrong. I do think reality is objective—however, interpretation is intersubjective. And you clearly don't think and cannot, by definition, think that reality is both a) objective and b) based on the consensus of human thought.

You are making an argument for intersubjectivity, but of reality and not of interpretation. That is, you are too stupid to understand how stupid it is to point to some rule created by some group and say, "See, this is a real, objective fact!"

There is objectivity. There is empiricism. There is reality.
    It's funny that you think GID's entry into the DSM was based on empiricism.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 12:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The

When laymen dictate to scientists what words they're allowed to use, yes it does.
    Why society dictates words, the science they can practice, the medicine they create, the animals they can use, but you are whining about words.

Wow....
    This is why Riv is always calling you an idiot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Why society dictates words, the science they can practice, the medicine they create, the animals they can use, but you are whining about words.

Wow....
    This is why Riv is always calling you an idiot.
    No, I'm appealing to authority.

A great convention of scientists created the DSM-IV. They created this document after peering into the deepest depths of the universe. And when they did so, they composed an unimpeachable truth.

Now, if some day scientists do more discovering, an uncover a greater truth in the DSM-5, that is another matter.

It is not our place, as laymen, to question it. After all, we are but laymen.

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 12:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A great convention of scientists created the DSM-IV. They created this document after peering into the deepest depths of the universe. And when they did so, they composed an unimpeachable truth.
    Nobody is this stupid. You're trolling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2011 3:20am

Style: BJJ newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a transexual fighter and this thread is awesome. Kudos to Rivington & Hedge for dropping knowledge.

Just as Sirc, I'm curious as to who I'll be eligible to compete against. Pre-op, I think I can only fight other things with penises. BTW does Sirc still live in Fresno? I'm in town for the summer. We should swap beauty tips.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast